Help with my next Tesoro?

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I've had a couple cheap metal detectors that I dug lots of iron with lol. I recently purchased a Tesoro Compadre with the 5.75 coil and am loving it! I'm actually finding a bunch of clad now which is a big step up for me. The only downfall is I'm hunting rather trashy old home sights where I think I should be hitting some silver. So far my only silver has been two dimes at about four inches although I did dig up an Indian head penny at about seven inches, still scratching my head about that one.

I'm really liking the simplicity of the Compadre and just the Tesoro design altogether but thinking after finding 18 wheaties, two pre-45 Canadian penny's and 2 Indian heads there has too be some silver at these sights that I'm just not getting deep enough to find.

So the question is, which Tesoro up to and including the Outlaw should I put in my arsenal next? Trashy ground, lots of iron, West Virginia soil, mostly looking for old coins.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long winded first post.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that Tesoro is coming out with a new machine this year, so you should wait and get that one.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why wait? Step up to the Outlaw. It is the most under-rated single frequency VLF machines on the market today. You get three coils with it, and the big 12" coil coupled with a low operating frequency gives impressive depth on silver, and gold rings. :skullflag:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing your missing is experience. Your finding coins and at depth so your operating correctly. Among, amidst and under the trash are the gems. Keep at it, gain experience and proficiency with the equipment you got. Patients, persistence and determination will lead you to the success you seek.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, get yourself an 8in compadre off eBay for 100 bucks for a little more depth. If your getting wheat pennies at 5 to 6 inches than the silver will be at that range also. Save up your clad to pay them off and then when you have the tesoro language down move up to a Vaquero, Cibola or outlaw and you will be set. Keep your compadres for fun and clad hunting.

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the responses so far. I definately lack experience but I've dug up so much clad now, some of it had enough junk (nails, iron pieces) in the hole with it I couldn't use my pinpointer to reliably find it. I can't help but think there's either no silver coins to be had on these sights or I'm just not getting deep enough.

On another note, my Compadre quit discriminating out pennies after about the first four hours of use. I put a fresh battery in it with no change. I know I need to contact Tesoro over this but on a recent two hour hunt at a home built in 1939 I ended up digging 35 zincolns in an area about the size of a basketball court.:BangHead:

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why wait? Step up to the Outlaw. It is the most under-rated single frequency VLF machines on the market today. You get three coils with it, and the big 12" coil coupled with a low operating frequency gives impressive depth on silver, and gold rings. :skullflag:

I've checked out many threads and you tube videos and am thinking the Outlaw may be the best Tesoro to compliment the Compadre in my situation but definately good to here from experience. I'm sure there's a learning curve to it but I think I can deal with that. There's tons of helpful info out there on these machines.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are going with another Tesoro, all these gentlemen present vary good posing questions indeed you could wait or get the Outlaw for where you will be hunting.

I myself would like to get a max of four Tesoro tops under my belt one day..all with lifetime warranty's I have not closed the book on which ones to get yet. If Tesoro came out with a new detector this though I imagine this is what I would lean to.

Compadre go to detector and if I wanted to mod it someday.
Vaquero -already owned 11x8 RSD with 5.75 concentric lots of people talking about this setup.
Outlaw - purchase on sale w three coil set
Tesoro new release not determined yet..
Tejon - used for $350 no more in CAN dollars.

Ok That is five as the Tejon would not be under warranty, and that would be hidden somewhere my wife would not know...yeah right.

Here is what I would do, and this is just me. Quickly grab a detector that would be left over by the distributors if there were to announce a discontinued line as it would still carry a warranty, which could follow after a new announcement of a new line, as this could possibly happen..I don't think it would be the Outlaw as this was released in 2012 if I am not mistaken. This would be my second choice over the Compadre that I would act through by the distributor first.

Either case you can't go wrong with owning multiple Tesoro as this site has often mentioned. I am still getting used to my Vaquero still and will be for many years, but have my eyes on owning more as mentioned very soon.

I know in either case your choice will end up a good one, I have not heard many people making wrong decisions owning any kind of Tesoro brand which they have purchased and were overly disappointed with.

HH.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you learn how to Ground Balance, and use your Sensitivity properly, you'll be AMAZED at the depth and finds as you go back over ground you have already hunted. Practice your basic technique skills ie; keep your coil flat, low, and swing slowly. Overlap your coil swings (this is the hardest to do right!), and LISTEN to the sounds in your headphones. :skullflag:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outlaw for iron trash...

Get the Outlaw. It has more depth than Compadre and it's probably the quietest currently made Tesoro in iron trash.
The three coil package comes with one really deep DD coil, as well as my two favorite concentrics. You can't go wrong.

If the Outlaw wasn't available, I'd say find a clean Bandido II microMAX...daddy of the Outlaw.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to follow up with what Terry said and I take back what I have said. Terry maybe right.. why wait, he mentioned this before on a few posts as I recall. Tesoro will likely won't disappoint even if they did realease another detector. The point he is making about GB sensitivity, swing slow and listening through your headset are all things we need to do better in learning how your detector will respond back to you. Also it will allow you to learn and love what you currently own and what you can take ahead in your next arsenal of line up ventures.

I think if you went with the Outlaw you won't be disappointed even if you purchased it now. I feel Tesoro won't overlap in their line ups as all there detectors they have released provides something individualy different then the others.

The choice is still yours though.

Best Regards.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just watch though Tesoro will come out with more then one new metal detector and that will mess my decision line up then...:dontknow::laughing7::icon_scratch:

Sometimes you can never win, either way I won't be disappointed though.

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro is always a good brand name to stick with, trust me lol.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again the Outlaw is one of the best Tesoros out there, it does almost everything all the others do but, it has it's own unique features that make it a real joy to use. One feature, is it's ability to pinpoint very accurately. Another is it has two all metal modes and can DISC out everything but .25s. If you choose the upgrade package , which you should, you will get 3 coils. It's tone is very sweet too, not that annoying noise the Vaq makes, which sounds like a duck being killed.
There are a lot of Tesoros that others may like better , in fact there are newer and more expansive metal detectors out there but , there is only ONE Outlaw and its a Tesoro. So get the Outlaw learn it and you will find that it might just become your favorite detector, just like I have found.
Again these are just my findings , others may differ.
Peace and HH.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I know I am going to get some resistance on this but I am going to state this anyways. I know there are alot of people out there with many Tesoro's out there and I envy this because they are great in what they produce and every line is never alike.. But I will add what "I" think and would like people response to this. But can anyone respect and see why I post this the way I did..

Deductive Reasoning

Why would I own a Compadre if I already own a Silver uMax?
Why would I own a Compadre if I already own a Tejon?
Why would I own a Silver uMax if already I own a Cibola?
Why would I own a Silver uMax if I already own an Outlaw?
Why would I own a Cibola if I already own a Vaquero?
Why would I own a Vaquero if I already own a Tejon?
Why would I own a Bandido II if I already own an Outlaw?
Why would I own a Bandido II if I already own a Vaquero?
Why would I own a Elderado if I already own a Bandido II?
Why would I own a Elderado if I already own a Vaquero?
Why would I own a Deleon if I already own a Cortes?
Why would I own a Golden if I already own a Cortes?

Inductive Reasoning

Why would I own a Tejon if I already own a Vaquero?

Deductive/Inductive Reasoning

Why would I own a Vaquero if I already own a Outlaw? This would be arguable.

I know we can bring in other models but left it as this to compare.

Last edited:

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There might not be silver there like you think. Not to be negative but could be the case. I find that the compadre hits harder on old copper pennies and not so hard on silver. Or should i say not so deep on silver. The copper corrodes creating a halo effect. I would advice the reading of mastering the Tesoro book found on amazon/kindle ebook only. Some good headphones and a pin pointer first. My good finds didn't increase that much at all when I bought my Tejon. Not saying that it isn't a better machine, Because it is a beast to say the least. But i would remove all I can with the compadre first, Learn it good, Study the other machines before making an impulse buy, then make an educated decision on the next axe. Also notice that everyone here on this site that owns every Tesoro made still has at least one or two or three compadres. Happy hunting!

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I know I am going to get some resistance on this but I am going to state this anyways. I know there are alot of people out there with many Tesoro's out there and I envy this because they are great in what they produce and every line is never alike.. But I will add what "I" think and would like people response to this. But can anyone respect and see why I post this the way I did..

Deductive Reasoning

Why would I own a Compadre if I already own a Silver uMax?
Why would I own a Compadre if I already own a Tejon?
Why would I own a Silver uMax if already I own a Cibola?
Why would I own a Cibola if I already own a Vaquero?
Why would I own a Vaquero if I already own a Tejon?
Why would I own a Bandido II if I already own an Outlaw?
Why would I own a Bandido II if I already own a Vaquero?
Why would I own a Elderado if I already own a Bandido II?
Why would I own a Elderado if I already own a Vaquero?
Why would I own a Deleon if I already own a Cortes?
Why would I own a Golden if I already own a Cortes?

Inductive Reasoning

Why would I own a Tejon if I already own a Vaquero?

Deductive/Inductive Reasoning

Why would I own a Vaquero if I already own a Outlaw? This would be arguable.

I know we can bring in other models but left it as this to compare.

Crazy Canadian
Here in American we don't need logic.
Lets build a wall in the north too.

OP
OP
S

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points JoeDirty. I'm searching around a house that burned pre-1930. An area where a house once stood from 1911 to 1990 then was torn down for the lumber and a couple others that were built in 1939 and 1945. People in this area weren't rich and I tell my friends that if they dropped a dime they must have looked for it until dark and came back the next morning if they hadn't found it. That's a joke ofcourse but I'm not sure it's very far from the truth. I'm definately enjoying the Compadre and am not in a hurry to jump into anything else. I plan on swinging the Compadre on these sights for another couple months but in the end there's only going too be one way of knowing whether there's just no silver on them or it's just too deep for what I'm using.

I'm all in on this hobby so stepping up to a mid range detector and then losing interest is not something I see happening. It will get use just like the Compadre. Heck, my wife bought me a $60.00 metal detector that I nicknamed "the horseshoe detector" for Christmas 2015 and I burned many 9 volt batteries in that thing. Never found much worth anything at all but my finds did tell a story about the history here and I enjoy that too!

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man, I feel you on the head first attitude for detecting. Im the same way. I bought the Tejon not too long ago. It is beast like in many ways. It hits super hard on tiny fragments of metal. So it is hard to miss anything of worth. It is probably the deepest Tesoro, but maybe the hardest to learn. Like many have stated, They are all good. Terry solomon told me after 100 or 200 hours behind it a light bulb will go off and understanding it will bee more transparent. It has a lot more finesse if that is the right word to use than the compadre. When i go back to using the compadre now it doesn't feel as responsive as the Tejon but not selling it short by no means. The Tejon depth wise is wow! You mentioned hunting trashy areas, Removing trash is good in my opinion if you plan to hunt a particular place over and over till it is exhausted. A 5.75 concentric coil often times is great for areas that are littered but not impossible to hunt with larger coils. I think coins sound sweeter on the smaller coils, my opinion. I would say 4 inches on a silver dime with a compadre as you stated you found would most probably be the max for that machine. Again my opinion. A pin pointer is a must have for quick recovery. Also you can search out most easy coin targets by increasing your disc. level almost max, and then reducing it back more to find other targets such as coins on edge and other non ferrous metals such as gold and aluminum and alike. Whatever you do keep it fun, laugh and enjoy finding trash because you will find more than you can imagine. I have a 5 gallon bucket almost full of lead weights, brass fittings and pull tabs, etc. Ha I'm laughing just thinking about it. Also, start trying to guess what you are digging before you dig it, This will help tune your ear to common things and coordinate your ear and settings for future hunts. Again these are my experiences and opinions so please take them as friendly advice and to concrete information! Happy hunting. Rejoice.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks for all the responses so far. I definately lack experience but I've dug up so much clad now, some of it had enough junk (nails, iron pieces) in the hole with it I couldn't use my pinpointer to reliably find it. I can't help but think there's either no silver coins to be had on these sights or I'm just not getting deep enough.

On another note, my Compadre quit discriminating out pennies after about the first four hours of use. I put a fresh battery in it with no change. I know I need to contact Tesoro over this but on a recent two hour hunt at a home built in 1939 I ended up digging 35 zincolns in an area about the size of a basketball court.:BangHead:

Are you positive those are 1982 and newer zinc cents and not copper cents, (1982 and before), which will not disc out?
Just saying because I have never read of this exact problem happening on any other Tesoro, ever, but I have ready many posts from many new hunters that did not realize there is a discrimination difference between zinc cents, copper cents...and Indian head cents for that matter.

If you truly used to be able to disc out zinc cents and now you can't, that, to me, would be a major problem.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread