Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
The Deleon is another Tesoro on my list. You should watch scannerguys video of the Deleon on his test bed. It out performs the Vaquero, not so much on the depth challenges but certainly on the separation, disc and recovery aspects, he scores it higher.

Please be sure to post on how it goes on some of your hunts.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picture 90.jpg

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have watched scannerguy videos, an just about all other videos related to the DeLeon. Read about every review available. I am ready and feel confident taking delivery on the machine. I am ready.
Being new to MD, I can only compare it to my Ace 200. Of course this would not be a fair comparison.

I chose the DeLeon based on info, lifetime warranty, and ease of use.
I am what one would call very old school. Simplistity is important. Too old to go modern.
I'm ready set to go.
Bring on my DeLeon......please hurry.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have watched scannerguy videos, an just about all other videos related to the DeLeon. Read about every review available. I am ready and feel confident taking delivery on the machine. I am ready.
Being new to MD, I can only compare it to my Ace 200. Of course this would not be a fair comparison.

I chose the DeLeon based on info, lifetime warranty, and ease of use.
I am what one would call very old school. Simplistity is important. Too old to go modern.
I'm ready set to go.
Bring on my DeLeon......please hurry.

I agree it's a great machine.
With the graphs and the VID number you can know alot about what's under the coil.
Don't just go by the graph but don't discount it either.
Between the two I find it to be a great coin shooter.
I don't really know mine well enough for other hunting but many who do love the machine. It's really an awesome detector. It's a perfect mix of old school Tesoro tone detecting to new electronic detecting.
Just a warning stay away from power line and junction boxes it's really sensitive to EMI.
Hope to hear back about how you like it!!!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stoof, I sure will. Should be here no later than Friday or Sat. Sure hope so. They had to process a return first, prior to shipping the DeLeon.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been swinging mine for right at a month now and I will say a couple of things about it that I think are stand out features.

1. The DeLeon is sensitive to small stuff. It will hit tiny low conductors pretty hard and to combat areas loaded with trash you'll need to raise the coil. Lots of chatter from small bits of foil laying on the surface, and large/surface iron will let out pops as-well. I think some people view this as a bad thing.. such as "its not quiet in iron".. which you will hear a lot. But what it is, is sensitive. And running this machine with disc at min or lower in a tot lot could net you some small gold other detectors cant hit.

2. Dig every repeatable signal. If you have your disc set at foil and your VDI is showing 4 (4 being lower than Foil).. know that its a target being masked by iron and the VDI is being pulled down, but the disc is still seeing a target above foil. If anything this machine is great for that one reason. It makes you use your ears before your eyes. Before you know it you'll know when a target is lower or higher on the disc without even looking at the VDI. Any target close to beings disc'ed out will be grunty and fart sounding while targets higher up in the disc range will sound smooth and clean.

Hope this helps..

randyalbin

Sep 24, 2007
Flat Rock, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's 5900 CB,XL Pro,IDX Pro,MX5,Tesoro's Bandido,INCA,OutLaw,Tiger Shark,Toltec ll,Toltec 100,Troy Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has one, can change to smaller coil without ground balance problems. If going bigger in coil size, it lacks the important Ground Balance control..otherwise a decent machine.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife has one, can change to smaller coil without ground balance problems. If going bigger in coil size, it lacks the important Ground Balance control..otherwise a decent machine.

Mine was from the factory balanced to a small piece of ferrite. I've switched between 9x8, 5.75, 3x18 CS, Brown 8" with no problems at all. With all of these the DeLone has proven to be plenty deep for me. With the Clean Sweep I dig pennies at 6-7". I'll try the 11x8 soon.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Tejon , & really think a Tesoro with a VDI screen would be great in those more trashy areas, as well for Scouting New Sites.
My 3 cent piece

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the heads up about VDI 4. That's a good one.
Hopefully tomorrow it arrives.

Also, after discussing coils with Allen at Tesoro, I pulled the trigger and ordered the 5.5 concentric coil. He said I definitely would not be sorry if I hunt parks. Which I plan to. Visited parks and recreation for our city yesterday, and they gave me the okay in writing. Just told me not to leave holes and destroy plants. Never will I do this.

Now I just need my DeLeon.

Last edited:

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a Tejon , & really think a Tesoro with a VDI screen would be great in those more trashy areas, as well for Scouting New Sites.
My 3 cent piece

I've went a couple years now hunting without a VDI with my bandido, and I can say that I have missed it lol. It makes me lazy, but it also makes for fast finds.. i can skip iffy targets and just nab all the high conductors.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Also, after discussing coils with Allen at Tesoro, I pulled the trigger and ordered the 5.5 concentric coil. He said I definitely would not be sorry if I hunt parks. Which I plan to. Visited parks and recreation for our city yesterday, and they gave me the okay in writing. Just told me not to leave holes and destroy plants. Never will I do this.

Sorry should have been clearer. Any lower conductor metal next to a higher conductor metal will lower the VDI number of a higher conductor. If a pull-tab is on top (or very close) to a zinc penny the penny will hit on the VDI around 55-60. A zinc penny usually hits around 80-85, but because the lower conductor is there (pull-tab) it pulls the VDI down. Likewise, the pull tab would hit in the low 40's for example, but is pulled up by the penny to the mid 50's to 60's..

I saw this just a couple hours ago.. Dug a zinc out of the same hole as a pull-tab. Pinpointed as one target at 50-60.

My VDI scale maybe a little different than yours as-well so dont take these numbers literally.

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good idea with the 5.5
It should work alright. I recommend still bench testing with coins in case the screen is a little off because of the coil change. Just so you know how it reacts.
The Deleon's ground balance is tied to how it reads on the screen. I don't see much of a difference from that coil but better safe than sorry.
I chose my Troy super 7 coil when I sent mine in when I got it and had the machine set to it.
Only time I see a problem is making a big jump in coils.
But it's a pretty nice machine and in some ways it can outperform newer TID units because it still retains its classic Tesoro one tone nuances. Modern units usually will make the same tone where the Tesoro can tell you alot by the start and the end of the tone and how it ends and starts and other little things you train yourself to hear.
I love my co.padre and it has one knob and a speaker lol. But the tone sounds the same to other people but when you learn the language, you hear alot from the one tone and it's behavior.

Man I wish there wasn't snow in the ground here lol.
I miss swinging already andy detectors stare at me mockingly every night.
I should put them away, but I don't haha
Happy hunting!!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've went a couple years now hunting without a VDI with my bandido, and I can say that I have missed it lol. It makes me lazy, but it also makes for fast finds.. i can skip iffy targets and just nab all the high conductors.

I agree. But it's that one iffy target that ends up being a gold ring next to a pull tab or something lol.
I do agree and that's why I use my Deleon as mostly a coin hunter for its ability to pick them out of a pile of garbage.
I do revisit the sites I've been over with the Deleon with other machines for the hard part lol

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you "Gone Detectin" for the info on the VDI numbers. I am actually cataloging these numbers and what you say, and numbers what others have written about and information. All the info I have gathered about the DeLeon I try to memorize by going over it many times. For me, its the same as memorizing a song, get it into your brain where it will stick. Perhaps I am going overboard with it all, but that's just me. My wife has told me for years I am OCD, or maybe COD. Smart woman.

Stoof2010. When I talked with Allen at Tesoro, we discussed installing the 5.5 Concentric and how often it would fail to work properly without sending the detector and coil to them for ground balancing. Allen said this would be a rarity. Almost never necessary. Especially with the smaller coils like the 5.5.

If anyone owns a Tesoro, Allen at Tesoro is a great person to talk to with questions or problems. I've never talked to Rusty, and I would think he would be too.
I have talked to Allen twice since making my decision to order the Deleon. Allen never rushes me to finish the call. Answers all my many newbee questions without fail and I hear no sign of him being annoyed. Just the opposite. If I lived in Arizona, I think Allen and I could be buddies.

He also advised me not to send my warranty card in until I get my 5.5 coil. He said to complete the card on the Deleon, and also write on the card the name and serial number of the coil. He assured me they would log both in at the same time. Of course I'll make a copy and keep it in my MD file that I have created.

Well, much to my dismay, according to UPS tracking, the Deleon will not be delivered a day earlier as I had hoped. Tomorrow in the late afternoon.

Wow. Kind of long winded, huh?

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I don't see the 5.5 being an issue.
Only reason I have my 7" Troy set to it was because I needed the machine and coil looked at and if sent separately I would have paid twice, but with them together, it was one fee. Plus after speaking with Allen, I found out how great of a team that Troy is with the Deleon.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty excited about taking delivery on my Deleon today. Should be here between 03:00pm and 05:00pm. My 7 year old grandson is pretty excited too. He's my partner in MD.

All my senses tell me I have made a good decision buying a Tesoro, no matter what model. Tesoro seems to be a company that will be "like a good neighbor", (taken from State Farm commericals). Always there for you. Or Allstate, "you're in good hands". Of course some of us have had our horror stories with both companies, but 90 out of a 100 times they deliver the goods.

Tesoro seems to be a company like the old Sears Roebuck catalog stores. Solid as a rock, always about service. Of course with the internet in store catalog sales have gone by the way side. Hopefully Tesoro will be there in the long run to honor my Life Time Guarantee. About 10 good years left, so this should be a winner.

Pardon me for my rambling, just getting antsy.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got it. Did some air tests in both modes. Pretty impressive.
DeLeon seems

First impressions are the machine is rock solid. Taken care of should last many years.
On air tests it was spot on. I like the single beep in disc mode, and the pin point in all metal.
Can't wait to give it a go tomorrow in the beach area behind my house.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Job I need the Small Coil , but never could pull the trigger on one so to speak.
I know it would help on parks & Trashy Sites ( Old Houses), Heck just going to the 8 inch on my Whites machine Helped a-lot on trashy sites.
GL
& Good Deal on getting permission in Writing , Now you can tell Nosy 'Complaining' people & Board Police to bug off.
Nicely to the LE's of course.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread