1st time with DeLeon

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe you could see if they would tweak the fixed ground balance while they are at it ? I don't know that they will but it couldn't hurt to ask. I mentioned a 7" wide scan coil ,they are suppose to be the better choice in mineralized ground. Probably why your other coil is so quiet, it might be nulling out on mineralized ground but I am totally guessing. I don't know a lot about metal detectors other than what I have learned from swinging the coil.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the machine set to the 5.75, then it will be set for that.
Why not just use the stock coil? Are you having separation problems?
I love the small coil on my ground balance machines, but even my cibola that I modded I still use the stock coil on it (concentric) and it works great and still separates well.
I know since you bought the 5.75 you want to use it, but maybe you can send both coils and detector in and have them find a middle ground for the balance.
Like I said I leave my 7" Troy super 7 on that I had the machine set to.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'm now hunting with the 8x9. Used it this afternoon for a couple of hours, ground I've been over several times in the past week. It was right on the money finding 3 coins. Right on the non money for some junk too.
Right now I am digging most every beep to try and figure this thing out.
Thanks!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you make your dream find - Best of Luck! :icon_thumright:

Terry, I respect what you say, as it's evident you're a master at MD. However, I'm new to this, and I have to take my licks.
Hopefully I will find a dream find one day. So far in 35 days it's been 38 clad coins, and lots of junk metal out of my yard.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a fixed ground balance in Georgia, you are already working at a disadvantage. The coils need to be "tuned" to your machine. The Tesoro rep did you a huge disservice recommending the Deleon. In your case it is no better than a Cibola. You would have been MUCH better off with an Outlaw, or even a Vaquero. I feel bad that you got started with the wrong machine for your area, and worse that a Tesoro employee steered you in the wrong direction. :skullflag:

Terry, please tell me something about my area that I don't know. From what you are saying, the DeLeon is the wrong detector for Georgia. Are you saying that Georgia ground is a highly mineralized? While I really don't know the answer to that question, because I don't know for sure what it takes to be classified this way. But here is my take on it, and if I am wrong, tell me.

I am thinking middle and North Georgia are this way. But I am in South West Georgia. Down here the ground is mostly sand and dirt. For example, on my property, which borders the Flint River, I have dug for arrowheads for the last 20 years. Many many holes, some up to 6' deep. (no, I don't mess around with graves) I encounter nothing but dirt, some flint, and roots. The times that I have hit SWG white clay is always close to 5' deep.

This seems to be the type of ground that is all over this area, except for some very sandy areas, especially on the river banks, and several sand dooms in this county.

Terry, I would appreciate it if you would clear this up for me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"SOWEGO" is still highly mineralized. You will always get more depth manually ground balancing.

Attachments

• Geologic_Map_of_Georgia.png
    Geologic_Map_of_Georgia.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,
That sure answers my question. Wow. What an eye opener. I'm going to stick with what I have right now, but in a few months I expect I'll buy one with manual GB. Kind of weakens my stomach.

When I was searching for a MD, GB never entered my mind. Just didn't know enough to even think about it.

Thanks Terry

Terry (that's my real name too, but my two best buddies have always called me Vern.)

PS: darn darn darn!!!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you could see if they would tweak the fixed ground balance while they are at it ? I don't know that they will but it couldn't hurt to ask. I mentioned a 7" wide scan coil ,they are suppose to be the better choice in mineralized ground. Probably why your other coil is so quiet, it might be nulling out on mineralized ground but I am totally guessing. I don't know a lot about metal detectors other than what I have learned from swinging the coil.
So you think I need to give the 7" widescreen a try? Wouldn't have to send a soil sample or the DeLeon to tune it for GB?
Order I and put it on and fine treasure?
If you think this coil would help then I'm gonna do it.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So you think I need to give the 7" widescreen a try? Wouldn't have to send a soil sample or the DeLeon to tune it for GB?
Order I and put it on and fine treasure?
If you think this coil would help then I'm gonna do it.
Had I thought, I could have lent you my coil to try before buying. Yes, It is a very good coil.

I don't know about the GB to know whether they would tweak it more suitable to your soil conditions or not. If you were going to call them about sending the machine in to have a coil tuned to the machine, I definitely would ask to see if they would tweak the GB setting to better suit your mineralized ground. It can't hurt to ask to see what they say if you were going to call about sending it in.They could tell you whether they will or won't over the phone.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell you what, I'm going to give the 7" widescreen a go before calling.
I'm actually enjoying the 8x9. Figuring it out as I go and finding a few coins. Pin pointing with this coil is easy and right on the money, or, right in the center, as advertised.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry about the coils (Double D or Concentric), just learn your machine and put time in on your headphones. Dig targets and pay attention to the sounds. Start trying to guess depth by signal strength, and learn your machine's language. :skullflag:

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry about the coils (Double D or Concentric), just learn your machine and put time in on your headphones. Dig targets and pay attention to the sounds. Start trying to guess depth by signal strength, and learn your machine's language. :skullflag:

Terry, that's good sound advise. Thank you.

I do have headphones that metaldetectors.com threw in with my DeLeon order. Haven't tried them yet, but I'm going to today. I have been kind of hesitant about using them, as I am experiencing some hearing loss. I guess I could turn the volume down.

Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread