Mojave and the new 7" concentric coil - How do you like them ?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey boys and girls, for those of you who have now had a chance to try it out, how are you liking your Mojave and the new 7" concentric coil so far?

I've wanted to try the coil since Mojave was announced, and was debating on whether to wait for the coil to become available seperately, or just grab a Mojave now and also test the coil on my other 5 pin machines... Got antsy, so bought a Mojave. Should be here sometime next week.

I realize some of you have only had yours a couple of days, but...

How are you all liking yours? Does it feel like a snappy performer? Depth compared to other Tesoros you use? How cleanly is the disc working, and how well can it ignore rusty steel bottlecaps..? What do you think of the new coil?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted with mine today and I LOVE it! LINK

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to the local school yesterday to give it a go in the play grounds and surrounding school yards. I set the disc to 0, pumped the coil up and down on a clean patch with the mineral setting low and it was a no go, to much noise. Switching the mineral switch to the high position cleared it up. Like the Compadre this thing loves clad coins. I set the disc to just above knocking out a square nail and dug all solid repeatable tones. I see no difference in its reactivity or tone to the Compadre. I dug $6:43 in clad, 1 small junk ring and 1 stud earring at about 3 inches. Going to see how the coil works on my Bandido2 micromax next.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think of the Tesoro Mojave as a Compadre and Silver µMax rolled into one but much better.

Tesoro hit a home run with this detector! Everyone should have a Mojave in their detector arsenal.

tabman

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no difference in the two coils on the Mojave. Seperation seems to be the same as well as the precise disc. Only advantage I can see with the 5.75 is its a little smaller to get into tighter places etc. Otherwise I don't think the 7in will ever come off. I may puck up a 7in widescan to see how that does in my soil.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is it as thin..?

I see no difference in the two coils on the Mojave. Seperation seems to be the same as well as the precise disc. Only advantage I can see with the 5.75 is its a little smaller to get into tighter places etc. Otherwise I don't think the 7in will ever come off. I may puck up a 7in widescan to see how that does in my soil.

Is the new 7 about as thin as the 5.75 and feel about the same, weight-wise? Is it going to make me throw out my 5.75 coils..?

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is a thin profile 7in at best maybe 1/16 in taller. It is very light. My primary coil for use at trashy camp sites was the 5.75 cincentric, this just replaced it. Maybe around thick sagebrush the 5.75 would still be desirable but will have to see in the spring.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is nothing new here folks. Tesoro has been using concentric coils forever. I'm glad they have a new machine out (basically a European model with American decoration), but it certainly is not the machine we have been waiting for. :skullflag:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, it's not about waiting for a machine, its about Tesoro making an effort to give us some features and stuff wr have been asking for. It has been a long time since they produced a thin concentric 7in search coil. If you wanted a Compadre with the features of the Mojave you had to modify it yourself etc. Research and development takes research and capital and maybe they thought if they gave us something we were asking for even if it's on the low end they could gather enough capital to bring other things to the table. I am happy cause I get to eliminate two machines for one that I use for a specific type of hunting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With all due respect, nobody wants a Compadre with the features of a Mojave - That is basically called a Cibola. In fact, once you have owned and used Tesoro machines for years, you already know you need a Compadre, a Vaquero or Outlaw, and then a water or gold prospecting model. I see the Mojave instead of the Silver or the Cibola - That's it. I want something DEEPER, more POWERFUL. I want a REAL breakthrough machine from Tesoro, not something that is already available. :skullflag:

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna have to agree with Terry on this one

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mojave and the new 7" concentric coil - How do you like them ?

It seems that 12-14 inches is the deepest that any VLF machine can go from any manufacturer currently on coin sized objects..and that's with perfect conditions.. Tesoro owners claim to do that on occasion.

So.. how deep would you like to see a VLF go? Are there coin sized targets available at say 16 to 18 inch range? Just curious?

Seems that you would have to break out the relic shovel to get that deep.. doesn't seem like that would work to well unless you mainly hunt private property..

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want a machine that I haven't already used - or have. Another entry level machine isn't going to cut it for me anymore. Looking at the new Minelab 1000, I'm thinking maybe we have put as much lipstick on the VLF pig as her lips will handle. Maybe the manufacturers are just out of ideas, and keep presenting the same technology Mr. Gifford and Mr. Garrett was using in the 1980s, in "new" and "exciting" ways. I suppose that's why we just get re-hashed "New Releases" every couple of years. No real difference in depth or discrimination, just guys arguing this one is better than that one.:skullflag:

I want something

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want a machine that I haven't already used - or have. Another entry level machine isn't going to cut it for me anymore. Looking at the new Minelab 1000, I'm thinking maybe we have put as much lipstick on the VLF pig as her lips will handle. Maybe the manufacturers are just out of ideas, and keep presenting the same technology Mr. Gifford and Mr. Garrett was using in the 1980s, in "new" and "exciting" ways. I suppose that's why we just get re-hashed "New Releases" every couple of years. No real difference in depth or discrimination, just guys arguing this one is better than that one.:skullflag:

I want something

Maybe this?

Makro Racer 3 | MD-Hunter Blog

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

I want something

When I look at Tesoro detectors, and the different features they have offered in an analog format over the years, I keep thinking that they already have what most detectorists want...

- simple reliable operation with a lifetime guarantee
- great depth (Tejon, Vaquero)
- auto ground tracking (Lobo)
- notching systems (Pantera, Golden micromax)
- tones (Golden, Euro Sabre)
- VDI (Cortez, Deleon)
-Duel disc operation
-frequency shift
- no motion all metal
- ed 120 or 180 options
- tone adjust

I am sure there are a few neat features that I have missed. It just seems to me that we want the right combination of some of these great features. For example, can you imagine a coin machine with Tejon depth, duel ed 120 disc, frequency options (not just shift), GB modes like Manuel and auto tracking that works in disc mode, as well as the a black sand option like the new Majave. tone options on a single machine like mono vs tone break vs fixed three/four tone modes, and a simple VDI number read out that shifts to a depth reading when pulling back on the toggle switch below the housing (like the Tejon).

Nothing really new as far as features in the list above, just all put on a machine to give great depth and several hunting options, as well as target ID options. This is what I think Tesoro needs to do.

Short of discovering a way to ID Gold from aluminum, hard to imagine what great new technology is still out their. I am no expert in metal detecting, but I am really attracted to the analog format, for some reason, and I think this is what Tesoro has going for it. The company just needs to put together some really refreshing and sensible combinations of features.

I am hoping the new really BIG release we are are all hoping and waiting for will be something like this. The Mojave looks OK, but I want something more than that. And to be fair to Tesoro, I hardly think the new Majave is the BIG release we have been looking for... perhaps as many have said, we will get an announcement in March or April.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree. also be nice to mix some features together not all because they need to stay in business just two not more then three extras to what they have but combine so you are not buying multiple machines as there is no need for this I think. Maybe a Golden uMax mixed with the Outlaw would be nice still with great depth that of the Vaquero or Tejon, and the toggle switch is nice underneath always maximize your features on your detector like that. Yes that would be too much to ask for.. but throw a 1500 price tag maybe I would 'strongly' consider this. Look at the F75 LTD, T2, Minelab CTX 3030, need to raise the bar.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I want something

I'm not looking for a gold machine and don't see my self gold hunting..

But, that new Minelab looks pretty interesting and the price is looking pretty good. I like the looks and ability of the CTX ; it's just out of my spending range for a detector. Be interesting to see how the new minelab works..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread