Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
8 inch..

I keep the 8" donut on mine most of the time, and keep a 5.75" on my Bandido II μMAX. Both detectors are the two I use most often, lately.
The three coil pack is nicely priced, but I like the concentrics best for where I hunt.

You already have the Vaquero, so why not try the 8" donut on it (4 pin version)?

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep the 8" donut on mine most of the time, and keep a 5.75" on my Bandido II μMAX. Both detectors are the two I use most often, lately.
The three coil pack is nicely priced, but I like the concentrics best for where I hunt.

You already have the Vaquero, so why not try the 8" donut on it (4 pin version)?

Yeah could do this as an option and I have thought of this before..I absolutely love the concentrics over the DD coils I feel pinpointing is better for me, could also wait and see what Tesoro turns out next as well.

Also is this the way they come in sure like the black look on the 8" instead of the rusty looking one with still the Tesoro brand name sticker.

8rcsmall.gif , 8RC-E.jpg

Maybe that's just the way it shows on their website other sites show it is black with the sticker on the coil like the 5 pin as shown.

Thanks Pinenut.

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing the 8''concentric, but the new wide scan is good too. The Outlaw is a very good machine. I have used the other coils only a few times . Heres the thing, who else will sell you a metal dectctor with 3 coils included in the package? By getting the 3 coil package you will have all your base's covered. What if you smashed a coil in the door or some other unfortunate circumstance, where would you be? If you had the other coils you cloud swap it out a keep hunting.
HH .

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
got your coil caught in the door..?

...What if you smashed a coil in the door or some other unfortunate circumstance, where would you be?...

Don't you just hate when that happens...:tongue3:

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How are most coils compared to Tesoro are they built fairly rugged as well or are most you have to be fairly gentle with? Are they thinly coated with a special plastic or epoxy where they require this for better penetration?

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 8" mostly but considering I have other 5 pin machines I went with the 3 coil pack. The cost of the outlaw with the 8" then buy the 5.75 let's say then the cost is close to the 3 coil pack plus you'd have to buy a separate lower rod too.
With the rods and coils the 3 coil pack is the best buy in my book especially if you have or plan to have any other 5 pin machines.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outlaw + 8" donut + 15 minutes on a curb strip =

IMG_0545.JPG

Had about 15 minutes to detect yesterday while waiting for my daughter to get ready. She's living in the Los Angeles area, renting a room in a house built in 1927. It was her birthday, and my wife & I drove down and took her to lunch.

Found this 925 ring, a couple wheaties ('37,'44) and a couple more '60s cents plus one clad quarter. 15 minutes on a curb strip, with the Outlaw, which happened to be in the car... Funny how some people don't appreciate the Outlaw, saying it doesn't perform as well as the Vaquero. While it doesn't get the Vaquero's depth, it sure isn't lacking in performance, either.

:sunny:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, depth is often over rated versus other qualities, but we all seem to use it as an important measure of a detector.
luvsdux

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the outlaw/bandido disc circuit over everything. I have the vaquero and modded cibola and the nokta relic if I want to go really deep.
Most treasure isn't more than 6" down where j hunt and most of the time 4 or less.
I like how the outlaws disc is spread, how it reacts and just all of it.
With an RSD I'm sure it could cut deeper, but just like I found out with my nokta relic, going that deep isn't always a good thing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread