Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read many times on this forum, the Finds forum, and you tube reviews, that what the DeLeon does best is find coins.
I believe this to be true. I took delivery on my DeLeon on Jan 3rd, so as of today I've owned it for 43 days. I've been metal detecting for a total of 53 days. So, the truth is I don't know much of anything, but this is what I do know:

My first detector I bought was a Garrett Ace 200. I found 11 coins and a ring with it in 10 days. And then I took delivery on the DeLeon, and the Ace hasn't seen the light of day since. The entry level ACE is a good machine, but the DeLeon is great.

Here are my totals with the DeLeon as of today: 77 Pennies, 6 nickels, 18 dimes, and 4 quarters. Grand total of 105. I am very pleased and have had a blast. I love it, and am hooked.

All of the coins I've found are modern coins. Sob sob. No silver, no rings, not much of anything else but pull tabs and other metals.

If I truly want to find jewelry, I believe I probably need to be digging more TAB hits in the 40's. Maybe, maybe not, haven't found one yet, so I don't really know. Just a hunch.

You folks have told me to keep my cool and just keep hunting and digging, the good stuff will come. I believe that.

I'm hunting a city park that just has to have older coins and other good stuff. Just has to be there. I also have permission from a friend to hunt his place any time I want to. It's out in the country, and the house was built in 1905. Next week maybe.

But one thing I do know, the Tesoro DeLeon can flat out find modern coins.

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those parks DO have quite a bit of jewelry, but you have to dig all round, clean signals, not just the high ones.

I find some jewelry trinket almost 50% of outings. Some junk zinc, some silver, and a little gold.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deleon is probably one of the most under-rated detectors around. No one seems to take it seriously, but I've had a bunch of machines over the years and the Deleon is the one I won't ever sell. You will find the silver, you just have to get the coil over it. The Deleon loves silver. As for gold, yup, you have to dig those tabs.

Do yourself a favour and buy the new 11x8 widescan coil for your Deleon. I just added one to my Deleon and tried it out in an area I thought I had cleaned out. I dug around 80 coins on this small piece of land with the stock coil, and a stock coil on my Vaquero. I was pretty confident there wasn't much left to find. Last night I took it out for an hour just to practice with the new coil (and a new digger) and I dug another 30 coins including a 1949 silver quarter. It was like this was virgin territory. I only covered about 1/3 of the lot. Downside is that you will dig a few more flattened bottle caps than you did before. I think that's a fair trade.

Dan

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deleon is probably one of the most under-rated detectors around. No one seems to take it seriously, but I've had a bunch of machines over the years and the Deleon is the one I won't ever sell. You will find the silver, you just have to get the coil over it. The Deleon loves silver. As for gold, yup, you have to dig those tabs.

Do yourself a favour and buy the new 11x8 widescan coil for your Deleon. I just added one to my Deleon and tried it out in an area I thought I had cleaned out. I dug around 80 coins on this small piece of land with the stock coil, and a stock coil on my Vaquero. I was pretty confident there wasn't much left to find. Last night I took it out for an hour just to practice with the new coil (and a new digger) and I dug another 30 coins including a 1949 silver quarter. It was like this was virgin territory. I only covered about 1/3 of the lot. Downside is that you will dig a few more flattened bottle caps than you did before. I think that's a fair trade.

Dan

Dan, thank you for sharing. I am sure I will buy the coil you speak of, but it will have to wait at least 60 days. Gotta build my "wild money" kitty up a bit. I have 3 coils for the a deleon already. I sure like my 7" widescreen, it just feels right on the DeLeon.

I don't know if the DeLeon is underated, but I am having a blast with mine.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I know is I am glad to here more posts on this unit and the coils being used and the finds turning up just need to see more as well on the Cortes now?

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You and me both, and I bet a host of other DeLeon owners, would like to see more happiness written about.

I only have my ACE 200 to compare it to, but it sure has made an impression on me.

My wife as I are currently staying for a few days at an RV park. This morning I hunted the the Sandy beach area by the lake.
Three hours produced 21 coins. 5 quarters, 2 dimes, 3 nickels, and 11 pennies. No silver, but I am happy.
Still learning the sounds of the DeLeon, vs the numbers.
Pin pointing is so very easy and accurate.

If the screen shows full bar and a 95, and doesn't bounce away, then it's a coin.

I dug a lot of low numbers under 50, but nothing but pull tabs.

Deep? The last hole I dug was deeper than my Lesche knife digger. Drink can. Ugh.

With all this other world discussion about the Mojave being the second coming, it has crossed my mind that perhaps I have an inferior machine. Maybe should have waited 45 days before purchasing the Deleon.

Hmmm.....me thinks not.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Watch your numbers as they bounce. Sharp bits of trash numbers will bounce randomly, not usually falling on the same numbers sequence. if they stay consistent in the numbers they fall on as it bounces, it tends to be a round piece of trash or a good target. Lift your coil when you get solid 95 readings, if it bounces slightly , it is usually a coin, a solid 95 when lifted high is usually big iron or drink cans but you still have to check to make sure its not super shallow coin or pocket spill.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch your numbers as they bounce. Sharp bits of trash numbers will bounce randomly, not usually falling on the same numbers sequence. if they stay consistent in the numbers they fall on as it bounces, it tends to be a round piece of trash or a good target. Lift your coil when you get solid 95 readings, if it bounces slightly , it is usually a coin, a solid 95 when lifted high is usually big iron or drink cans but you still have to check to make sure its not super shallow coin or pocket spill.

Bibelot, thanks for the tips. I'll be paying more attention to the bouncing numbers now.

Used my ACE 200 for a couple of hours this afternoon just to give it some respect. Man I am telling you, I sure missed my DeLeon and it's excellent pin pointing.

The ACE did find me 4 coins.

I am super happy you turned me on to the 7" widescreen. Deep and feels just right. Love it.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DeLeon continues to find coins.
My wife and I just returned from a 4 day RV adventure. Sadly, I only got in around 7 hours of metal detecting the shoreline around the lake, parking areas, and playground.

DeLeon led me to 42 coins and a small child's sterling silver ring. My first.
No silver coins, just a mixture of clad.

But I did find my first cache of 4 coins in the same hole, within two or 3 inches. Two quarters and two nickels. That was fun.

I also went really deep, longer than my Lesche digging knife by at least 2 to 3 inches. A big wad of foil. Bibelot, you warned me about this, but I just had to see for myself.

Very happy with my DeLeon. I love the ID along with the sounds. Sweet chords when its for sure a coin. Or a first ring.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You and me both, and I bet a host of other DeLeon owners, would like to see more happiness written about.

I only have my ACE 200 to compare it to, but it sure has made an impression on me.

My wife as I are currently staying for a few days at an RV park. This morning I hunted the the Sandy beach area by the lake.
Three hours produced 21 coins. 5 quarters, 2 dimes, 3 nickels, and 11 pennies. No silver, but I am happy.
Still learning the sounds of the DeLeon, vs the numbers.
Pin pointing is so very easy and accurate.

If the screen shows full bar and a 95, and doesn't bounce away, then it's a coin.

I dug a lot of low numbers under 50, but nothing but pull tabs.

Deep? The last hole I dug was deeper than my Lesche knife digger. Drink can. Ugh.

With all this other world discussion about the Mojave being the second coming, it has crossed my mind that perhaps I have an inferior machine. Maybe should have waited 45 days before purchasing the Deleon.

Hmmm.....me thinks not.

Yeah I am thinking the Mojave is likely a great machine but I wouldn't look back keep swinging with your Deleon, I would though would like some comparisons on the Mojave still with other Tesoro units. Hope one day scannerguy1968 will be able to do add this to his line up on his videos since he did one last with the Fisher 75 SE LTD have not seen any since, and by the way liked his video on the Deleon, before this came out I had already purchased my Vaquero because of the Tejon vs Vaquero video he had presented. I was sold. I was like you Vern purchased the Ace 300i and been user my Vaquero more so but plan on taking my Ace out to get some use out of it this spring.

Hope all is well and HH.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!!
Glad to see you're enjoying your Deleon.
Coin shooter is my main use for it
Have found silver rings with it as well but soon I'll try and expand my hunting style with my Deleon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread