Mojave finds 2 Barbers - first time out !!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG

I was really wanting to get out of the house after a few days of rain and slushy snow... Had a couple hours of cloudy skies this morning with a bit of blue showing, so thought I'd take the new Mojave out to an interesting spot I found on old USGS maps... Used to be a hotel there, at least that's what was marked on a map dated 1945. Turns out to be a super cool spot, and one I'm going back to when the weather gets better...started to rain just two hours after I got there today.

Took the Mojave out of the car, GB set to low (but I needed to switch to high several times; hot rocks all over..), disc just past iron, and sensitivity at the halfway mark. Found a wheat for my very first target..COOL! I hadn't rubbed the dirt off to see a date, just dropped it in the keeper side of my apron. Found just a couple tabs and a crusty zinc or two, a couple old beer cans, then HOLY $HIT.. A silver quarter clean enough to see 1915 on..! My first silver coin so far this year. Another half hour of digging some old junk (nuts, bolts, crap..) and a silver dime comes up! Too muddy to read a date and it didn't want to rinse off with water, so just got put in a paper towel 'till I got home. Cleaned off the mud....1912s! The wheat was a 1915!

That new Mojave sure does work well, and actually seems fairly sensitive. It did get a little chirpy when clouds darkened overhead and more rain came, about two hours in; switching GB to "high" didn't stop it, so needed to turn sensitivity down to 3 so it was usable. Guessing atmospheric interference was the issue; not sure.

Honestly, any of my Tesoros could have spotted these three coins, as they were only 3"-4" deep and in (very) damp soil, but it was a great first outing for the Mojave...and I'm heading back to that spot as soon as I can.

Yippie! :occasion18: Two Barbers and old wheat for Mojave first time out!!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm so super proud and happy for you! Big Congrats on the Barbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tabman

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats. I'm still waiting for mine to get here. Fed X sucks.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I'm still waiting for mine to get here. Fed X sucks.

Thanks! Yeah, FedEx isn't my favorite... Mine shipped FedEx smartpost, where they shipped to my PO box. Took a week to get here. You'll be happy when you get your Mojave out though!

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks..!

I'm so super proud and happy for you! Big Congrats on the Barbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tabman

I was both wanting to test the new toy and getting jealous of seeing your recent finds... Figured I'd better hunt some different places this year, instead of just the easy ones I had been doing. Finding those Barbers yesterday opened my eyes regarding the importance of researching your locations..! Expecting heavy rain then snow for the next few days - time for more research. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread