Mojave with larger widescan coils?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried one yet, really have no need for it. I use smaller coils on my tesoros. Now if Tesoro would make a 5 x 7 rsd or so I would jump all over that.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
too cold out..

I haven't put one on mine yet, either. Probably won't 'till it gets a little warmer here.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just did some testing. The best search coil for the Mojave is the one that it comes with. It has been specially tuned to the Mojave and they both work together like a sweet dream. I thought my Vaquero with the 5.75 inch concentric coil could hold its own against the Mojave, but it can't. Not at searching for coins in a bed of nails at 7 inches and less. Nope, not even the Outlaw! It's not the search coil that makes the Mojave perform so well, its the combination of the new search coil and the Mojave that makes the magic.

tabman

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did some testing. The best search coil for the Mojave is the one that it comes with. It has been specially tuned to the Mojave and they both work together like a sweet dream. I thought my Vaquero with the 5.75 inch concentric coil could hold its own against the Mojave, but it can't. Not at searching for coins in a bed of nails at 7 inches and less. Nope, not even the Outlaw! It's not the search coil that makes the Mojave perform so well, its the combination of the new search coil and the Mojave that makes the magic.

tabman

I'll wait to see the film at 11.....

:occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like the Silver uMax and Cibola, you need to have any coil that did not come with the machine TUNED to your detector at the factory for peak performance. Unless you can MANUALLY GROUND BALANCE, any coil you use on a machine needs to be tuned to that machine.

As a word of caution, don't automatically believe everything you read - not even if I type it. :occasion14:

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other

tabman
Tabman, not doubting what you are experiencing with your testing but I have to say... your finding that the Mojave with the 7" concentric out performs the Vaquero with the 6" concentric is just plain hard to believe! One would think that the smaller coil would separate out the iron better.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman, not doubting what you are experiencing with your testing but I have to say... your finding that the Mojave with the 7" concentric out performs the Vaquero with the 6" concentric is just plain hard to believe! One would think that the smaller coil would separate out the iron better.

If that's the case why would anyone want a Outlaw instead of a Vaquero? Why does a Compadre do things that other detectors can't? I don't expect anyone who hasn't actually used a Mojave to know one way or the other. I did my tests and I'll be swinging my Mojave next to the foundations and either my modded Cibola or Vaquero for deeper targets in more open sites with less nails. Probably with DD search coils, like the NEL Sharpshooter to be able to cover the area faster. How could someone recommend a Cibola over a Mojave for detecting next to foundations that's loaded up with nails when they've never even used a Mojave?

tabman

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, as you bring up the Outlaw, with its ed120 discriminator, and manual GB, one would also think it would do better with the 6" concentric, especially in iron. Perhaps, as you say, there is something special about the Mojave circuitry.

Now... that "high" fixed GB setting really has me intrigued. Where I live, there are lots of gravel parking lots made up of that Stoney coke plant by product, which is full of stuff that sounds off like hot rocks. Am wondering what kind of performance it might have there. It was hard to get my Outlaw to act "normal" over that stuff.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the ed180 disc over the 120 for iron site work. The lower range of acceptance seems to pull non ferrous targets out of the nails better. It is true that the ED120 is quieter but with a price. I have hunted with Tesoros for years in nail thick environments and I will always have some in my arsenal. The Mohave is the first one though since I got my first Bandido2 micromax where I was shocked at its performance in the nail beds. The mineral switch is well worth the money itself. I believe that 12khz is Tesoros sweet spot for coins coupled with the ed180 disc makes the Mojave the best detector in its price range. The damn thing is plain flat fun, like a Compadre but a lot more juice.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Outlaw with the 5.75 inch concentric search coil works great in iron, but the Mojave does even better. Maybe it's the fairly dust, I don't know. LOL

tabman

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post you guys!

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am leaning towards getting one as well (kinda wants to wait and see what might be looming around the corner as I have a gut feeling the Cazador is not far behind).

The Vaquero looks good to me too, perhaps I will end up with both, which would give a nice array in the arsenal...

Golden micromax with ED120 at 10 kHz
Mojave with ED180 at 12kHz
Vaquero with ED165 at 14kHz.

We shall see. But I like these reports on the Mojave.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am leaning towards getting one as well (kinda wants to wait and see what might be looming around the corner as I have a gut feeling the Cazador is not far behind).

The Vaquero looks good to me too, perhaps I will end up with both, which would give a nice array in the arsenal...

Golden micromax with ED120 at 10 kHz
Mojave with ED180 at 12kHz
Vaquero with ED165 at 14kHz.

We shall see. But I like these reports on the Mojave.

Imho....

The 11x8 coil will cost you $150 by itself so $454 for the Vaquero and RSD coil is the deal.

I just tested again my Silver uMax with the 11x8 RSD, you get a solid 2" more air test over the 8" stock concentric. BUT, in my dirty dirt clay that is rusting, I know I'm getting more than that. I have a test garden that is getting aged, there are targets I hit solid with the 11x8 that the 8" stock coil doesn't even see in all metal. Concentric coils cant see thru rusted dirt very well.

Also in my garden, while my F75 latest DST upgrade machine is the deepest I have in all metal, the Vaquero beats it in depth in discriminate mode on a deep buried silver quarter.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Steve, Tesoro needs to put a sticker on the Mojave that reads:

Caution Using This Detector Could Be Habit Forming

It's probably best that you don't get one, because you could become additive. If you like your Silver µMax and Compadre, you'll just love the Mojave!

tabman

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve, Tesoro needs to put a sticker on the Mojave that reads:

Caution Using This Detector Could Be Habit Forming

It's probably best that you don't get one, because you could become additive. If you like your Silver µMax and Compadre, you'll just love the Mojave!

tabman

Tabman,

My thinking is, I have two Vaqueros and other Tesoros, many coils for all. Until I see some tests showing the Mojave is better than the Vaquero in any way, I'll pass. It is fun to spend money and play with new toys, but my closets are full....

Like I said, the Mojave is the best deal for the money I'm sure. But I don't seeing it doing anything my Vaquero with a 5 3/4 coil won't do.

You have a Vaquero, will the Mojave do something better than the Vaquero?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman,

My thinking is, I have two Vaqueros and other Tesoros, many coils for all. Until I see some tests showing the Mojave is better than the Vaquero in any way, I'll pass. It is fun to spend money and play with new toys, but my closets are full....

Like I said, the Mojave is the best deal for the money I'm sure. But I don't seeing it doing anything my Vaquero with a 5 3/4 coil won't do.

You have a Vaquero, will the Mojave do something better than the Vaquero?

Yes it works a little better around nails, it runs a little smoother and handles EMI better. The Mojave is flat out fun to use.

tabman

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All this talk is tempting me to buy one of these Mojaves. Darn you people! As if my stable isn't full enough.....and the wife is gonna kill me to boot lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread