Headphones.... Let's open this can of worms

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pinenut, I'm not a good enough detectorist to notice any disadvantage with the single-cup headphone. I just really appreciate being aware of my surroundings, and we have bears, cougars and rattlesnakes in addition to the two-legged vermin here in Oregon as well. Sometimes when wearing normal two-cup headphones, I get so focused on my little detecting world that I have been surprised by someone walking up to me that I didn't hear approach. Not the most comforting feeling.

Last edited:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, still liking your Killer B's?
I have a DetectorPro Rattler for my Xterra 705. I have always liked the idea of being "aware" of my surroundings, but with my increasingly poor hearing, maybe a good set of doubles would make a difference.

Bill
Yes, I really like my Killer B's. Quality and comfortable.
I don't use them most of the time, but this week I am at a salt water beach and they are invaluable. Couldn't hear without them. I'm just now getting used to wearing headphones.
I find them kind of cumbersome, but the pros outweigh the cons. IMO.

Hey Bill, can't wait for you to take delivery on your Deleon.
Just remember, it doesn't lie often. If it's wavering any a little bit on a quarter, it's not a quarter.

OP
OP
Stoof2010

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinenut, I'm not a good enough detectorist to notice any disadvantage with the single-cup headphone. I just really appreciate being aware of my surroundings, and we have bears, cougars and rattlesnakes in addition to the two-legged vermin here in Oregon as well. Sometimes when wearing normal two-cup headphones, I get so focused on my little detecting world that I have been surprised by someone walking up to me that I didn't hear approach. Not the most comforting feeling.

The killer b single cups would be a good compromise for you. Crisp audio and ability to hear the critters creeping up on you

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Rattler headset. I have to have an ear open. They sound good, nice heavy cable, but they start to hurt after 3 or 4 hours. If I bought a new set I'd try the killer B single cup, hear nothing but good things about them too. I cut the cord off my Garrett headset and soldered it into the rattler cord, ran it through the upper rod and now I'm happy with them. The Garrett adapter was displeasing to put it nicely.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beez, agree the Rattler has good sound -- and gets uncomfortable. Wonder how the Killer B Stinger compares, comfort-wise.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use deepwoods grey ghost. No knobs to hang or break. Knocks out a lot of noise and the wind. Has a long enough cord to lay detector down and dig.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok here is my idea to any electrical engineers out there

headphone that let you listen to music ( radio or mp3) until you hit a target
get on it dudes
We now interrupt programing to bring you the sound of a Pull Tab.:BangHead:
Marvin

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought used. Like you I couldn't decide. On that auction site there was a beat up set of Grey ghost ultimates that cost me $44 after shipping and $13 from the manufacturer for new earcups. $3 for peanut butter to polish faded areas. At the same time I bought Sun Ray Pro Gold in like new condition.
So now I have 2 great headphones for the cost of 1 new.
The Grey ghost earcups fit around your ears (I have small ears), the Sun Ray Pro fits on your ears.
The slightest comfort advantage for me goes to Grey Ghost.
I am not experienced enough to speak to sound quality but both sound great to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread