Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a career (70 days) milestone yesterday. $10.00 in coins, all modern, oldest 1964 nickel. Yep, 70 days to find 271 coins. 79% pennies.

While not much to brag about, the two rings I dug makes me believe there is more to this than clad.
Just need to find older hunting sites. And I will.

Liking my DeLeon more and more. I would be surprised if there is a better coin machine that I can afford to buy.

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!
And that's a good total for so short a time.
All it takes is one good spot.
I've had to empty my pouch before of clad in the middle of a hunt. Weighed me down lol.
Glad to hear the Deleon is working well for you.
When you start getting nickels, you know youre on the right teach for gold.
Deleon is a great coin shooter.
As I said before I'd like to try and expand its use in my arsenal but I'll have to find some gold first to test how it reacts.
Happy hunting!!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Stoof!
Yep, I kind of understand the nickel thing. It's a killer on dimes, but 5 cents ate elucive. I have dug up so many pull tabs, thinking almost sure it was a nickel.

I plan to bury a nickel, and different pull tabs. I figure there has to be a different tone.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Nickels are weird, they can come higher and lower than actual nickel for some reason and are have the least ID's than all other modern coins.
Not all but a lot.
Plus war nickels are even more crazy sometimes.
If you look for gold you tend to dig a lot of signals around many areas but nickels are a popular place to find them so a byproduct of this is you should find more nickels.
I always did.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want jewelry you have got to dig the pull tabs. 99 percent of the time, when I get over a pull tab, I know it's a pull tab, but I dig it anyway. It gets old to pull a hundred pull tabs out of the ground every hunt, but when you get that one piece of gold it'll all seem worthwhile.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want jewelry you have got to dig the pull tabs. 99 percent of the time, when I get over a pull tab, I know it's a pull tab, but I dig it anyway. It gets old to pull a hundred pull tabs out of the ground every hunt, but when you get that one piece of gold it'll all seem worthwhile.

Today, I had a solid 45 PT. I mean a solid 45. No jumping around. Would you have dug it?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just keep beepin! :occasion14:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels are weird, they can come higher and lower than actual nickel for some reason and are have the least ID's than all other modern coins.
Not all but a lot.
Plus war nickels are even more crazy sometimes.
If you look for gold you tend to dig a lot of signals around many areas but nickels are a popular place to find them so a byproduct of this is you should find more nickels.
I always did.

Out of the Tesoro's does anybody know what machine would hit hard on nickels then others? I hear as long as you set the discrimination below nickels makes sense that any machine would do, but is there more to this for nickels in particular, I thought I read somewhere there was one Tesoro that hits hard on them not sure which one though, there are some good articles on "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors" by C. Thorsten I have gone through and for me I know where I set my Vaquero every time I hunt just above nail where it just barely discriminates out, just above IRON.

VAQ Card.JPG

Regards.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today, I had a solid 45 PT. I mean a solid 45. No jumping around. Would you have dug it?

Not sure if that's in the iron range on your machine, but I generally dig everything above the iron range. If a place is very trashy, I'll generally skip over some tab-range signals and clean them up my next time or two swinging there so I'm not tearing up the soil with a plug every few inches.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well my advice is to use all three that the machine offers. Well 4. First 3 are VDI, "probability graphs" I call it, and sound. Last is the disc circuit itself. You can thumb the disc like other non screen tesoros to verify.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

I dig all solid signals, all of them every time no matter where they come in from foil on up...I have dug 35 gold targets so far and for me every one has been a solid hit although none much deeper than 5-6" except my first...a tiny 10k ring in beach sand with my Vaq closer to 8" which was a foil signal and also solid.

I have found way more gold in foil and nickel than I ever have in tabs, also...about 6X's as many and the bulk of those in foil.

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know digger.
So you're saying that if it discs out between a above nickel to below foil, you still have a chance for gold without digging tabs?
I know you said you dig it all, but just going by the info you've given

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger
I too am interested in a little more explaining the question stoof asked.
I use a DeLeon. I get 30 to 42 all the time, thinking nickel, but always disappointed. Same with tabs, which have many numbers.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Good to know digger.
So you're saying that if it discs out between a above nickel to below foil, you still have a chance for gold without digging tabs?
I know you said you dig it all, but just going by the info you've given

Digger
I too am interested in a little more explaining the question stoof asked.
I use a DeLeon. I get 30 to 42 all the time, thinking nickel, but always disappointed. Same with tabs, which have many numbers.

Okay donkey...I have put this stuff down before all over the net but it bears repeating so for both you guys...
Also I have posted this pic below before of most of my gold finds over the years.
The areas are marked or the numbers are from my Fishers.
There are 5 newer ones missing that range from foil up to tabs so I need to update this family pic.
Look at the areas and how many came in where.
Also there is a pic down there too of two different but similar channel wedding rings I have dug, both 10k men's with diamonds.
The yellow gold ring came in as a 35 on my Fisher, the very top of my nickel range and one more number I would be into tabs.
The white gold ring which is a few grams heavier and at least 2-3 sizes larger came in at that way low 24, just about the same area as a condiment package or just a hair above.
I will explain why below.

If one person finds gold because of changing their thinking a little due to this info I will be a happy man.
Many have told me this actually happened for them so I am happy to post this info again.

I too usually set my knob on my Vaq long ago at just below nickel on every hunt for months because I thought I would get most gold that way.
Then I read a post from a hunter on some forum somewhere that said the best thing he ever found in his career in this hobby was a foil signal.
This affected me deeply for some reason so I started lowering my disc little by little until it got real low at least barely above iron but even into iron using my Tesoros.
Magically I started to find a lot more gold after I did.
I still do it this way to this day with my Vaq or Compadre and it would be a rare hunt when you catch me with my F70 with my disc turned up any higher than 0 or 1.

With all my detectors I have dug small gold from the area just above where condiment packages come in or those stupid round freshness seals up to the lower zinc area where usually only can slaw lives a bit below the zincoln range.
One really thin 14k gold chain only comes in at iron, my Compadre picks it up at about 3" my Vaq with anything but the small sniper coil can't see it at all at any depth.
Luckily I was going after a zinc key that was attached to it when I found it so that made it easy but boy was I surprised when gold came up with that key.
On my Fishers with numbers those seals and condiment packages are usually about a 23 and I have dug gold rings starting at 24.
For that reason using my Fisher I rarely turn up my disc past 23 and a friend in Ohio who uses my setting advice doesn't either and he did come across a gold ring recently at 25...and then he thanked me.
Large 10k class rings are lower than a true zincoln at around 61-62 but these big rings, 5 of them for me so far, have all come in between 48-52, still zinc but low on the scale.

On my Tesoros this range will compare to just a hair past the foil mark up to 3:00 on the big stuff which for me is the exact area a zincoln also comes in.
On the big stuff using my Tesoros I never worry about if I get zincoln signals and missing gold if I don't want to dig them because big gold at that range does not sound at all like a zincoln...it is unique.
So unique that if you hear that tone once you will always remember it and you will always hope to hear that sound again sometime in your life.
I have heard it twice...the first time I didn't realize what it was but the second time it rocked me back on my heels and took my breath away so now it is now my holy grail tone.

Small gold rings and many gold chains will usually come in at foil somewhere and as targets get bigger they will go up on the conductivity scale but there are exceptions.
A friend was confused when he dug a very tiny gold ring so small it barely fit on the tip of my pinky finger but it still came in as a solid dime on every detector we ran over it.
No mystery, it was marked .999, solid gold so high karat stuff will come in higher.
I have found a couple of white gold rings too, big ones that if yellow gold of any karat at 10k or higher would have come in at higher ranges like nickels or tabs but because they were alloyed with another metal, probably nickel, they came in at 24 just like a really small 10k target.
Next time you think about passing up a foil target near that condiment package area think about that.
White gold alloyed with silver usually will come in at more normal higher ranges.
I can tell you all the gold I have found so far on all my detectors have all been solid hits from at least one way but also two on the ones I checked and on my Tesoros using my thumb up and then back down method all came in solid when I dialed back down...no noise, chatter, buzzes or even clicks from what I remember...they were just...there.
These were all relatively shallow at 5" or so or less...deeper gold may act a lot less stable but I will let you know about that the day I dig one.
These are the targets I always dig for that reason no matter where they come in all up and down the range and even in iron sometimes.
I once found a really tiny silver chain with my Compadre...at the R in iron it was there at the O it was gone.
Two of my latest targets I dug were in tabs so I definitely dig those solid tab signals too, it is just that tab area rings are usually the bigger variety which is not as rare as class rings but more rare than the smaller nickel and foil types I have run across which are usually woman's types...or for some reason I find more than my share of white gold men's rings there but some yellow gold men's rings too usually in nickel.
I dug a small 22 karat ring and a large 6.2 gram 14k religious medallion both that came in at a 41-42 which is a dead on beaver tail tab for me and a few others in tab range down to the double hole sta tab lower range so don't ever discount the tab area for gold....but when people say you have to dig tabs to find gold and for some reason don't mention or know it can come in way lower too it drives me crazy.
If I did what they said and just concentrated on that tab area when on the hunt for gold there are about 21 or 22 gold targets I would have never recovered.

Again I don't dig everything anymore, as a matter of fact I cut out digging about 80% of the trash I used to dig at the beginning because I changed over the years...I lost patience and energy doing that and time constraints came into play too.
Not saying anyone should do that, dig it all if you want I just won't do it that way anymore.
Funny thing us after changing and deciding to dig mostly just the solid signals I got, wherever they may be from iron on up, my volume of targets and quality still soared...including gold.
My anal nature about learning my tools and further exploring deep into target behavior, gold behavior especially, had a lot to do with my success.
Newbies probably won't be able to do it my way but if a dummy like me can learn to do it anybody can...if they want to.

Here are a few vids to illustrate my lower gold area points...
This was with the F2 when I hit a low nickel signal.
I said foil somewhere the first time I got it but the numbers were 28-30 which is below nickel on this thing and below that nickel mark on Tesoros too.
There must have been some trash right next to it masking this thing being a super trashy basketball court site because out of the ground it rose slightly and became a dead on nickel signal at 32.
This is the only live gold dig I ever got on film and the really funny thing is I called it, or hoped for it, before I dug it.
Unless I roll over a big gold class ring and hear that sweet tone again while filming I doubt that will happen ever again.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AuklvGoeuZM[/video]

Here is a lucky find, one of the first hunts using my new small coil on my Vaq just trying it out in some huge area I still rolled across some gold and noticed it.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FhPT55m2TOM[/video]

This was a cold day with my Compadre at another park.
I was tired by this time because I dug a ton of coins and a lot of trash around a basketball court looking for gold.
I was getting ready to leave but I hit the grass area right next to a picnic pavilion before I did.
It was super trashy, infested with foil, can slaw, pop tops and tabs so I just went into my digging just the solid signals that came in quiet dialing down, mode.
I dug very little here, just a few coins and maybe a couple of solid trash targets because you can't avoid all trash out there, some still comes in solid.
Then I hit this thing, classic signal that had no noise dialing down...it just appeared.
Fuzzy picture using my camera phone so hard to see the dial but I did mention where it came in...right on the L at foil.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_KUzKZ9pOic[/video]

Dig what you want the way you want at any levels or conductivity you want, it is a hobby and not a life and death job, but if you look for gold in only tabs or even a little lower down to nickels please let me know where your sites are located....
I still haven't found quite enough gold just yet.

HH

Attachments

• user10659_pic72355_1474286241.jpg
    user10659_pic72355_1474286241.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 64
  • twins.jpg
    twins.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions Vern2, keep at it your treasure will becoming soon! :occasion14:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay donkey...I have put this stuff down before all over the net but it bears repeating so for both you guys...
Also I have posted this pic below before of most of my gold finds over the years.
There are 5 newer ones missing that range from foil up to tabs so I need to update this family pic.
Also there is a pic down there too of two different but similar channel wedding rings I have dug, both 10k men's with diamonds.
The yellow gold ring came in as a 35 on my Fisher, the very top of my nickel range and one more number I would be into tabs.
The white gold ring which is a few grams heavier and at least 2-3 sizes larger came in at that way low 24, just about the same area as a condiment package or just a hair above.

If one person finds gold because of changing their thinking a little due to this info I will be a happy man.
Many have told me this actually happened for them so I am happy to post this info again.

I too usually set my knob on my Vaq long ago at just below nickel on every hunt for months because I thought I would get most gold that way.
Then I read a post from a hunter on some forum somewhere that said the best thing he ever found in his career in this hobby was a foil signal.
This affected me deeply for some reason so I started lowering my disc little by little until it got real low at least barely above iron but even into iron using my Tesoros.
I still do it this way to this day with my Vaq or Compadre and it would be a rare hunt when you catch me with my F70 with my disc turned up any higher than 0 or 1.

With all my detectors I have dug small gold from the area just above where condiment packages come in or those stupid round freshness seals up to the lower zinc area where usually only can slaw lives a bit below the zincoln range.
One really thin 14k gold chain only comes in at iron, my Compadre picks it up at about 3" my Vaq with anything but the small sniper coil can't see it at all at any depth.
Luckily I was going after a zinc key that was attached to it when I found it so that made it easy but boy was I surprised when gold came up with that key.
On my Fishers with numbers those seals and condiment packages are usually about a 23 and I have dug gold rings starting at 24.
For that reason using my Fisher I rarely turn up my disc past 23 and a friend in Ohio who uses my setting advice doesn't either and he did come across a gold ring recently at 25...and then he thanked me.
Large 10k class rings are lower than a true zincoln at around 61-62 but these big rings, 5 of them for me so far, have all come in between 48-52, still zinc but low on the scale.

On my Tesoros this range will compare to just a hair past the foil mark up to 3:00 on the big stuff which for me is the exact area a zincoln also comes in.
On the big stuff using my Tesoros I never worry about if I get zincoln signals and missing gold if I don't want to dig them because big gold at that range does not sound at all like a zincoln...it is unique.
So unique that if you hear that tone once you will always remember it and you will always hope to hear that sound again sometime in your life.
I have heard it twice...the first time I didn't realize what it was but the second time it rocked me back on my heels and took my breath away so now it is now my holy grail tone.

Small gold rings and many gold chains will usually come in at foil somewhere and as targets get bigger they will go up on the conductivity scale but there are exceptions.
A friend was confused when he dug a very tiny gold ring so small it barely fit on the tip of my pinky finger but it still came in as a solid dime on every detector we ran over it.
No mystery, it was marked .999, solid gold so high karat stuff will come in higher.
I have found a couple of white gold rings too, big ones that if yellow gold of any karat at 10k or higher would have come in at higher ranges like nickels or tabs but because they were alloyed with another metal, probably nickel, they came in at 24 just like a really small 10k target.
Next time you think about passing up a foil target near that condiment package area think about that.
White gold alloyed with silver usually will come in at more normal higher ranges.
I can tell you all the gold I have found so far on all my detectors have all been solid hits from at least one way but also two on the ones I checked and on my Tesoros using my thumb up and then back down method all came in solid when I dialed back down...no noise, chatter, buzzes or even clicks from what I remember...they were just...there.
These were all relatively shallow at 5" or so or less...deeper gold may act a lot less stable but I will let you know about that the day I dig one.
These are the targets I always dig for that reason no matter where they come in all up and down the range and even in iron sometimes.
I once found a really tiny silver chain with my Compadre...at the R in iron it was there at the O it was gone.
Two of my latest targets I dug were in tabs so I definitely dig those solid tab signals too, it is just that tab area rings are usually the bigger variety which is not as rare as class rings but more rare than the smaller nickel and foil types I have run across which are usually woman's types...or for some reason I find more than my share of white gold men's rings there but some yellow gold men's rings too usually in nickel.
I dug a small 22 karat ring and a large 6.2 gram 14k religious medallion both that came in at a 41-42 which is a dead on beaver tail tab for me and a few others in tab range down to the double hole sta tab lower range so don't ever discount the tab area for gold....but when people say you have to dig tabs to find gold and for some reason don't mention or know it can come in way lower too it drives me crazy.
If I did what they said and just concentrated on that tab area when on the hunt for gold there are about 21 or 22 gold targets I would have never recovered.

Again I don't dig everything anymore, as a matter of fact I cut out digging about 80% of the trash I used to dig at the beginning because I changed over the years...I lost patience and energy doing that and time constraints came into play too.
Not saying anyone should do that, dig it all if you want I just won't do it that way anymore.
Funny thing us after changing and deciding to dig mostly just the solid signals I got, wherever they may be from iron on up, my volume of targets and quality still soared...including gold.
My anal nature about learning my tools and further exploring deep into target behavior, gold behavior especially, had a lot to do with my success.
Newbies probably won't be able to do it my way but if a dummy like me can learn to do it anybody can...if they want to.

I said foil somewhere the first time I got it but the numbers were 28-30 which is below nickel on this thing and below that nickel mark on Tesoros too.
There must have been some trash right next to it masking this thing being a super trashy basketball court site because out of the ground it rose slightly and became a dead on nickel signal at 32.
This is the only live gold dig I ever got on film and the really funny thing is I called it, or hoped for it, before I dug it.
Unless I roll over a big gold class ring and hear that sweet tone again while filming I doubt that will happen ever again.

Here is a lucky find, one of the first hunts using my new small coil on my Vaq just trying it out in some huge area I still rolled across some gold and noticed it.

I was tired by this time because I dug a ton of coins and a lot of trash around a basketball court looking for gold.
I was getting ready to leave but I hit the grass area right next to a picnic pavilion before I did.
It was super trashy, infested with foil, can slaw, pop tops and tabs so I just went into my digging just the solid signals that came in quiet dialing down, mode.
I dug very little here, just a few coins and maybe a couple of solid trash targets because you can't avoid all trash out there, some still comes in solid.
Then I hit this thing, classic signal that had no noise dialing down...it just appeared.
Fuzzy picture using my camera phone so hard to see the dial but I did mention where it came in...right on the L at foil.

Dig what you want the way you want at any levels or conductivity you want, it is a hobby and not a life and death job, but if you look for gold in only tabs or even a little lower down to nickels please let me know where your sites are located....

HH

Oh those were your pictures!!!
I downloaded them and printed them before lol.
Did you also post the ones with the men's rings with results from compadre and vaq and same for the women's rings? And another with chains?

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

HH

Very nice post Digger, learned alot here on this post, one thing..

"One really thin 14k gold chain only comes in at iron, my Compadre picks it up at about 3" my Vaq with anything but the small sniper coil can't see it at all at any depth."

Do you recall what your sensitivity settings were with the Vaq with this and was this with a 8 donut on the Compadre or the smaller 6" coil or even 7"? With your Vaq I bet if you did a recheck on the GB slightly negative and sensitivity lil higher you would pick that up and possibly greater on that gold find with the Vaq makes sense to me as tiny gold at the Vaq frequency 14.7 KHz warrants it should do better then the Compadre at 12 KHz this is why I have compared the two in previous post before on the two wondering if I should not in fact pick up the Compadre or Mojave....for small gold jewerly don't know I think yes you are likely correct on the larger coils you may have used on the Vaq but the 5.75" should, and mean should get that find like the Compadre if not better...that worries me as a Vaq owner...must be a setting "I" think..your thoughts:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi digger27

Amazing post my friend. Double wow wow. Just a ton of information to smoke over, write down, and apply. This might just be the game changer I have been looking for.

Tell me, are you the same digger as Aquadigger, from Calabash, N.C.?

I tell you what, and you can deposit it in the bank, "I can't wait to get out Sat. morning and dig some foil signals." Might even put off cutting my grass tomorrow and get out there.

Thanks a heap!!

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern,
Glad you to see you're having some success...keep it up and the goodies will come.
Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread