doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can someone post a reply on the history of the Troy Shadow when it started and finished as it looks like they are out of production if I am correct? Looks like this was a detector specifically build by Tesoro for Troy Custom Detectors Inc. I see there were a run of series of these types of detecors X2, X3, X5 any more information can be found for manuals on the lines that were made for the Troy Shadow? Let me know if this needs to be moved over to Other Brands Forum?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Troy Custom Detectors Shadow X2 Metal Detector
By Andy Sabisch
From Page 14
September, 1998 issue of Lost Treasure

Troy Custom Detectors Inc. is a newcomer to the metal detecting manufacturing field; however, both the companys founder (Troy Galloway) and the company that actually builds the detectors (Tesoro Electronics) have been actively involved in the business for years, developing a solid reputation with end users and other manufacturers alike. Troy started his new company with a simple goal in mind Take the technology thats currently on the market and build on it to give treasure hunters equipment that excels in actual in-field usage. Since he has been an avid Tesoro user for years, he approached Jack Gifford with some new ideas and, after several meetings, a new alliance was born. The line of Troy Custom Detectors would be built by Tesoro Electronics to Troys specifications and, unlike other startup companies in the past that had problems servicing the product after the sale, the famous lifetime warranty from Tesoro applies to all of Troys detectors.
Features
The Shadow x2 is a silent search VLF-motion discriminator that features dual discriminate circuits and a non-motion, All Metal pinpoint mode. It uses the Max control housing which measures a remarkable 3.5 inches wide by 3 inches high and 2 inches deep including the single 9-volt battery that powers the detector for 20 plus hours! The shaft comes apart into three sections which, combined with the detectors overall weight of only 2 pounds, makes it ideal for traveling or stowing in a backpack when exploring sites the competition rarely visits. The overall weight and balance of the Shadow allows it to be used for extended periods of time without fatigue.
The Shadow is controlled via two knobs (DISC and SENS) and two push-buttons (COIN CHK and PINPOINT). These controls deserve a few additional comments before describing how they operate, as they show Troys attention to detail and incorporation of comments received from active treasure hunters. On other detectors, adjustment knobs can often be moved inadvertently and, depending on what the control is for, this can significantly affect the overall performance of the detector until the misadjustment-adjustment is noticed and corrected. Troy has eliminated this problem by using high-quality knobs with rubber O-rings underneath them to hold the knob in the desired position. The push buttons are also unique to the Shadow. The toggle switches found on many other detectors allow grit to get into the switch itself, causing more than a few treasure hunters to send their unit in for repair. Troy opted for push buttons with rubber boot... -- https://www.losttreasure.com/Home/FieldTestDetail/6068

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the information Terry, much appreciated!:occasion14::cat:

themacgyver

Dec 28, 2015
El Dorado Hills, CA
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax/CleanSweep coil, Lobo ST, SandShark, Silver Sabre uMax, Silver uMax, & Sidewinder. Fisher F19. Metal Vision Surface Detector. DRS Ground Exper.
ProPointer, Whites TRX, VibraProbe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems I've read a couple of times that the X2 was built by Tesoro and the X3 and X5 were built by Fisher. Anyone confirm?

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They didn't make their own detectors. Tesoro made the x2, and the rest of the x machine were Fisher or another company. All to Troy spec.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I show Fisher in my link on the X5 was wondering about this earlier. Thanks for posting this Stoof, any reason for the change in Partners? Not that at makes any difference now..

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I show Fisher in my link on the X5 was wondering about this earlier. Thanks for posting this Stoof, any reason for the change in Partners? Not that at makes any difference now..was there high demand for these units after the X2? It might be the reason is that Fisher offering for the X3 and X5 required different technologies that other vendors could provide, as the X5 when I seen it at the time thought that maybe Troy was looking for something that Fisher could deliver with something they have been already working on?? I don't know the specifics for the specifications at the time of the X3 or X5 release?? But looking at the X5 I was quit suprised that this was not Tesoro doing after the fact that Stoof had mentioned. Would like to see something like this in the future of a Tesoro unit though...:dontknow:anyone else?

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The X2 was a slightly modified Tesoro Silver uMax. At some point Troy had a falling out with the Giffords (I've heard both sides of the story) and hired David Johnson to design the X5. Troy got Fisher to be a contract manufacturer for the new Shadows. While the Shadows were popular, I suspect that Troy simply didn't have the volume to make any profit and eventually the whole thing fizzled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread