Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this has been talked about before, but I need a "re-charging". The last three times I have hunted, my totals are 3 dimes and 33 pennies. All modern. Perhaps there are no quarters or nickels, and very few dimes, and a mother load pennies, at my hunting sites. The area surrounding a ball field, and a neighbor's farm. And so my question is:

To you folks finding quarters and dimes with your DeLeon, what are your settings on discrimination and threshold?

Today I had disc set at around 10, and threshold at 03:00. I initially set the disc at 4 and threshold barely into the red zone. But it was just too quiet for too long. When I set it at 10 and 03:00, boom, lots of targets. All pennies, pull tabs, washers and flattened bottle caps.

Before I got asked to leave the local city park, my penny ratio was around 60%. Now it is at 80%. At the park I usually set the disc at 7 and 8, and threshold at 12:00.

Note: The only reason I was asked to leave the park was due to tornado damage. Liability issue. Park manager said I was welcome to come back after they re-open. He even pointed out the oldest area in the park, and suggested that would be the best place to find old coins. He said to just make sure I cover my holes.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC02705.JPG I basically leave my threshold and disc where they are in the picture. Sometimes, I'll turn the disc slightly higher to the I on Iron but never past that point. The sensitivity gets turned lower but usually leave at 7-8 since I have mild soil unless I am feeling that I am not getting enough quarter ratio, then I will drop the sensitivity to 4 or 5.I would think in higher mineralized ground, you would want the disc and sensitivity lower .

higher disc= possible less depth, possible discriminating good targets out due to mineralized soil skewing the target ID, allowing it to fall out of ideal target range.

lower sensitivity = possible slightly less depth but better ID on targets, especially in highly mineralized soil.

Higher sensitivity in high mineralized ground= possible unstable target ID possible overloading target ID which leads to missed good targets.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I forgot to add. Hunt the baseball field. I've found about everything in them, coins, tokens, rings, an old church key, glass cutter, tiara, keys........If you are a coin hunter, hunt basketball court perimeters, rings are there too....

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I forgot to add. Hunt the baseball field. I've found about everything in them, coins, tokens, rings, an old church key, glass cutter, tiara, keys........If you are a coin hunter, hunt basketball court perimeters, rings are there too....

Thanks a lot bibelot. I almost always disc out at just below nickel. I'm going to take your advice and move it to a little above iron. Less threshold too.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks a lot bibelot. I almost always disc out at just below nickel. I'm going to take your advice and move it to a little above iron. Less threshold too.

Not a problem Vern, I just wanted to post what I thought about the subject. The less discrimination with the Deleon, the better off I think you will be. Use your TID display to sort out what you want to find. The less limitations or restrictions added, the more accurate the display will work. If you see three target id lit up, your on broken bits of iron. Single silver target ID is usually a good target but bigger can bits ring in there as well.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a problem Vern, I just wanted to post what I thought about the subject. The less discrimination with the Deleon, the better off I think you will be. Use your TID display to sort out what you want to find. The less limitations or restrictions added, the more accurate the display will work. If you see three target id lit up, your on broken bits of iron. Single silver target ID is usually a good target but bigger can bits ring in there as well.

So, what you are saying is the less disc the better the DeLeon identifies desirable targets? Right?

Also, less sensitivity and less threshold.?

Yesterday. I did a quick hunt in my back yard, with the settings just like in your photo. It was hot on everything, just no coins.
My yard is infested with some kind of electrical connectors. Ring up at a solid 95. Every time.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always set the threshold at just a minimal hum, sens around 8, iron disc. Works well for me, I'm inclined to think that you have competition or previous hunters on the quarters as they hit hard on my D.
luvsdux

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That picture is exactly how I leave it when running except sometimes I'll turn the sensitivity down to 5 or 4. You will see most everything that way and it can sense target ID better in my opinion. I hope it helps you.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does help. Or, it will help. I don't have much to compare it to, but I gave to believe the Deleon will do find. Just got to get over some good stuff.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your finding pennies then i suspect you have not put your coil over any dimes or quarters yet. I have been in areas where all i have ever found were pennies. Keep on swinging. Cheers

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late to the party. Sorry.
But I set my threshold to the same low hum I do on my other machines. Set the disc just above iron. Cool part about the Deleon is you don't need to thumb the disc as much as other non screen tesoros. This way I see everything above nails. There are times I set the disc a bit higher if I'm getting erratic reading on screen. It helps to filter any other targets near the goodies. But for the most part, I leave my disc right above email iron.
I've found all types of coins as well as a silver ring with mine.
Doesn't sound like alot but I use my Deleon for coin shooting and ignore most other targets.
However this year I hope to.expand its use and dig more just to see how it reacts vs what I find.
It's pretty spot on on what the graphs and VDI show but I've been told that when it shows low graphs in iron and higher VDI that it's gold.
But again I haven't had much time with anything else but coins. And they are pretty spot on. 95 and silver graph, it's silver quarter or dime. Every time. Well besides can slaw. Still gets me sometime but It tends to be more erratic when it's slaw.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your finding pennies then i suspect you have not put your coil over any dimes or quarters yet. I have been in areas where all i have ever found were pennies. Keep on swinging. Cheers

You know, I think you are very correct in your quote. Gotta get that coil over the money. I believe the DeLeon will find it if this happens. And it will.
Thanks for the reminder.........

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, I don't run my sensitivity very high because it runs very stable between 4-8.

Stoof, I know this could be an "electric" question, could set off fireworks, but I have to ask. Do you think the DeLeon is capable of finding everything the Mojave can find? I guess I am primary talking about coins.

You own many detectors and have lots of experience. I own two detectors, the Deleon and the entry level Garrett ACE 200, and have 70 days experience. Comparing my two, the Deleon wins by knockout in the first round. Since the DeLeon costs 3x the ACE, it's not really a fair contest.

But I am thinking of adding a Mojave to my small stock pile. However, if it's not going to be an improvement over the DeLeon, which cost almost 2x as much, then my Mojave fever will end. So, I am just curious as to what you have to say about this. And others.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'll say this. I don't like to crap on other manufacturers. However my first machine was an ace 350. I thought it was nice. Had some good finds.
The second that I ran my 8" compadre the first time marked the last point I would think of running the ace.
The new 200, 300, 400 aces seem to have finally sped up recovery which is nice, but can't compete even with tesoros most entry level detector.

As far as between themselves, all tesoros are great.
I can't say that the Mojave will find things that the Deleon won't, because they both find metal.
I primarily usey Deleon as a coin shooter so don't have much experience with it in too much trash.being a Tesoro I'm sure you can disc out trash, but the display still shows info just with no beep.

Having said that, I would say that they will both find what's under the coil, but only because the Mojave doesn't have a screen to fool you and that what you disc out will give no response at all, I can see it being a different kind of hunt.

The reason I say this is the Deleon like most newer digital machines make you think more, rather than just find a repeatable signal in your range of acceptance on the disc, and maybe roll the knob to see, but you're more likely to dig more with a non screen tesoro.

Nothing wrong with the Deleon, and I love the machine for it's perfect melding between analog and digital.

I won't say there's anything you would find with the Mojave that you wouldn't with Deleon. But I would venture to say that there are targets, based on what's in the screen, that you may pass up with the Deleon if you look at the screen too much without remembering to go by tesoros trademark audio language.
Because I got used to nonscreen tesoros first, the screen to me only added more info, but didn't make me decided to dig or not.

I think the only issue you can have with the Deleon is going too much by the screen and too little by the tone.

All that said, I think a Mojave would be a good fit as long as it doesn't hurt your finances.
So would any Tesoro for that matter without the screen.
Before the Mojave, I sought out and found my cutlass because it is a 12khz machine with sensitivity knob and a drop down all metal.
I always wanted a more powerful compadre. So that was my best bet. Then comes the Mojave. It's a super up compadre with a switch for bad ground, which hasn't been available for anything in its price point
Combine that with that new coil and it's a winner.

It's a different style hunting without the screen but can be very beneficial. Without other things dissuading you from digging, you'll dig more. With that not only comes trash but also treasure.
You get to learn the cool nuances of the "single" Tesoro tone. Once you get familiar you'll see how much can be said through "one tone".

I don't like to recommend for or against things, just give my take on things. I can't say whether you should buy the Mojave or not because everyone is different.
I will say if you haven't tried a nonscreen Tesoro and want to ,as of today, the Mojave would be a great choice.
Before I would have said a compadre. And it's still a great choice at a great price, but if you ever run into bad soil you will have issues. Both from the compadre and the Deleon.
The Mojave is a turn on and go with a ground switch so it's never been done before on an entry level Tesoro. Even the $350 cibola would start chattering where the Mojave can run smooth with a single flick of the switch.
For adjustable ground balance you pay a premium, but they found a way to give you the option of ease of use and ability to run bad ground with the Mojave.

Sorry I couldn't be more help or if I didn't help at all, but I have no idea if you'll like it or not. All I can do is give my .02

Btw I bought a second Mojave today. Either to hang onto or as a gift to the girlfriend if she enjoys the hobby when I take her out this season.

Last edited:

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe there is a place for both the Mojave with the Deleon. For one ,your coils will interchange for both machines.2 The Mojave most likely will work better due to the newer ground adjust system in higher mineralized soil conditions.3 The Mojave will work better at separating masked targets in iron infested areas. 4 The Deleon has the best TID accuracy of any other brand I've used so far. It can separate pre '82 pennies from newer corroded zincs, tell you that it's iron feedback that is ringing in as a high conductor from watching your display tabs... but for $251, the Mojave is a great machine to add with the Deleon. Of course, this is only my opinion.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, a big thank you goes out to ya. Ya'll have given me a ton of feedback over the last two months, and I appreciate it very much.

I now plan to order a Mojave. Allen at Tesoro told me to call him first the day I plan to order, and he eould hook me up with one. Good guy that Allen.

When I place my order will be dictated by when I get buyers on a ukulele or several flutes, whichever comes first.

I'm thinking the Mojave will do well for me on the beaches of NC. Every year I meet up with my 5 brothers for a week of fishing and old men golf. My baby brother and I plan on metal detecting.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth, all my Tesoros including the D are hot on dimes. I usually find a lot as I think most get passed over by other machines as well as more easily missed as fresh drops. As mentioned several times in this thread, I too, have found that one does better with moderate sensitivity settings.
luvsdux

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth, all my Tesoros including the D are hot on dimes. I usually find a lot as I think most get passed over by other machines as well as more easily missed as fresh drops. As mentioned several times in this thread, I too, have found that one does better with moderate sensitivity settings.
luvsdux

I agree that the D is hot on dimes. Of the 290 coins I've found since Jan 3rd, 39 were dimes. I think that might be a decent ratio.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very, very nice post Stoof I don't know who could have better stated what you just did, just find joy in reading your posts all the time as well as many others on treasurenet.com can't get enough of this site and the excellent people and the wonderful things everyone share and say about metal detecting and the Tesoro name. Really learning alote here from everyone.

I was also thinking of the Mojave, really don't know if soil is my real issue up here so was still thinking of the Compadre and Thanks for stating what you did on the ACE series, as I own one and plan on getting more use out of my two here still as a third machine even though soil may not be a real issue may still settle for the Mojave here still from what people are saying and cough up the extra dollars, not sure who could ad to this if high mineralization is not an issue where does one turn if money was the issue?

Thanks again for the great post guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions