The Mighty Mojave - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: The Mighty Mojave

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Lance

Aug 2014
    Colorado
    XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
    473 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have run both the MXT and the Mojave. The MXT is a great machine with a proven track record over the years. The MXT is deeper than the Mojave but the Mojave has a faster seperation and better disc to handle certain trash sites. For my type of hunting in old sites with discarded flat iron and square nails the Mojave handles it better. If all I had was an MXT though I wouldn't feel I was severely lagging behind other brands because it is a well rounded detector with ability to hunt in lots of scenarios, just maybe not the best. In fact I have an MXT pro right now with 6 x 8 sef and 5.8 eclipse coil I'm thinking of selling cause I don't use it a whole lot but keep it cause I've always had fun using it. I just have other machines that outperform it though like the Deus, CTX, Relic and F75dst. Now on to the Mojave, it surprised me today at a site that I have hunted with all my machines. This site I think I explained in another thread somewhere I had originally found with my Fors Relic and it covers a very small area about 10 x 19 or 15 x 15'. I had gridded this area with all my machines and to keep it short the Relic originally found 2 indian heads and a bunch of other period type none ferrous. The Deus went in there next and found a few more non ferrous, nothing of note though. Then the F75 and it found nothing, no non ferrous hits. Then the Tejon and found 2 more indians and a V nickel. This area is a carpet of square nails. Took the Mojave in there today and found 3 buttons, a large bullet and a large lead disc I think is a dress weight. How did all my other machines miss that large dress weight? Really not sure.lol. it is my firm belief that Khz and coil make a huge difference on all machines and how they see stiff in the ground. The Tesoros I own range from 10khz, 12khz, 14khz and 17khz and all of them see things different. Adjustable frequency detectors lime the Deus and Nokta impact or the future I think if you want just one detector and not many to cover several bases. And even then it's no guarantee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170314_193552.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	1427256  
    Tahts-a-dats-ago likes this.

us
    Jan 2016
    California
    Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
    792 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Anyone have an video's they recommend of how the Mojave sounds on different signals?

us
    May 2013
    Arkansas
    Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
    397 times
    it's only got one tone

but Keith runs thru a lot of targets

ca
    Oct 2016
    Canadian Eh
    Current:T2, Compadre, Vaquero, and 300i. Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
    323 times
    Metal Detecting
    The only thing the Mojave is missing is a black coil cord. The Black Widow would be a nice Tesoro name for a new detector.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    3003 times
    I've never owned a Tesoro, I've always had Garrett's and Minelab's. But I've got to say, that after reading a number of post from you guys, and more so the one by "Welgund" about the Tesoro "Mojave", It's not like I NEED another detector, but you really do have me thinking. I'm going to the Kellyco site and look it over. Great post Welgund, liked it very much.
    tabman and Welgund like this.

Feb 2007
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tabman View Post
    I love my F75-2DST and here lately it has been my go to detector for silver coin cherry picking. Just yesterday I found 4 silver coins with it, but they weren't in highly trashy areas or in places loaded up with nails. I carefully worked both edges of a driveway and service walk to the front door of a house with my F75 until I was confident that I got everything. Then I went back over the same area with my Mojave and I was finding scores of coins that my F75 couldn't detect.

On the other hand, just few days earlier, I thoroughly went over a small front yard with my Mojave and didn't find any silver coins. Then when I went back over the same area again with my F75 I popped a 7 to 8 inch Mercury dime right out in the middle of the yard. There was nothing around it to mask it, but it was just a little too deep for my Mojave to detect with the the 7 inch concentric search coil.

Can the Mojave detect as deep as a F75? Nope, but it can run circles around the F75 and most other detectors in a bed nails and where targets are close together. All I'm saying is use whatever detector you like, but make sure you have a Mojave to be certain that you don't leave anything behind. The Mojave also makes a great gold ring and jewelry detector. To top it all off, the Mojave is just flat out super fun to use.

Just keep in mind, the Mojave wasn't designed for the really deep coins, it shines best at finding those shallower masked silver coins (less than 7 inches deep) that the most detectors can't detect. Most silver coins are less than 7 inches deep. That's has been my experience. So, $251.10 dollars for a Mojave that comes with a lifetime warranty is a hell of deal. You're missing the boat if you don't own one. Also, I'd say that there are a lot more silver coins out there to be found that are masked than those are too deep to detect.

tabman
    hi tab!
    at what setting on the disc. do you usually set the mojave?
    also, can you set the mojave to all coins and still get down 7" on a coin.

(h.h.!)
    j.t.
    tabman likes this.

us
    normx2

Feb 2017
    NE Arkansas
    Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
    58 times
    Relic Hunting
    Great story and true throughout...Yes, I think Tab and I probably talked to the same Rusty about the Mojave and I'll never forget how adamant he was and correct that the Mojave is a "FUN" detector!! So... Rusty is already a legend but I too believe the Mojave will shortly follow suit.
    tabman and jmaryt like this.

us
    Jul 2011
    Germantown, Tennessee
    Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
    6525 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
    hi tab!
    at what setting on the disc. do you usually set the mojave?
    also, can you set the mojave to all coins and still get down 7" on a coin.

(h.h.!)
    j.t.
    I always set the discrimination to the point where a nail is just barely discriminated out. I can't tell you much on using higher discrimination because I've never used high discrimination on the Mojave. Most Tesoro detectors don't lose any depth with higher discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    Great story and true throughout...Yes, I think Tab and I probably talked to the same Rusty about the Mojave and I'll never forget how adamant he was and correct that the Mojave is a "FUN" detector!! So... Rusty is already a legend but I too believe the Mojave will shortly follow suit.
    Not doubt that Rusty Henry is a living legend. One thing I know for sure, my Mojave isn't going anywhere! That sucker works great in a bed of nails. I've done really well with it along the front sidewalks and driveways that are closest to house. They are usually loaded up with roofing nails and other trash that my other detectors have trouble detecting around. Not the Mojave! With its short production run and Tesoro going out of business, these great little detectors are going to be hard to come by.

tabman
    jmaryt likes this.
    CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, Minelab e-trac, Fisher CZ-5 & CZ3D, Minelab Equinox, Whites MXT All Pro, Tesoro Eldorado

Feb 2007
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    rusty will forget more about tesoros than most will ever know!
    what a terrific ambassador for tesoro he has been all these years.
    man knows his s**t!.i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
    j.t.

Feb 2007
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tabman View Post
    I always set the discrimination to the point where a nail is just barely discriminated out. I can't tell you much on using higher discrimination because I've never used high discrimination on the Mojave. Most Tesoro detectors don't lose any depth with higher discrimination.

Not doubt that Rusty Henry is a living legend. One thing I know for sure, my Mojave isn't going anywhere! That sucker works great in a bed of nails. I've done really well with it along the front sidewalks and driveways that are closest to house. They are usually loaded up with roofing nails and other trash that my other detectors have trouble detecting around. Not the Mojave! With its short production run and Tesoro going out of business, these great little detectors are going to be hard to come by.

tabman
    they have virtually disappeared now!
    just about gone!

(h.h.!)
    j.t.

us
    normx2

Feb 2017
    NE Arkansas
    Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
    58 times
    Relic Hunting
    Mojave...A best kept secret in plain view

us
    ↑ Tesoro of the Day

Mar 2016
    where bigfoot roams
    Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
    1237 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Welgund View Post
    ...How did all my other machines miss that large dress weight? Really not sure.lol. it is my firm belief that Khz and coil make a huge difference on all machines and how they see stiff in the ground. The Tesoros I own range from 10khz, 12khz, 14khz and 17khz and all of them see things different...
    Besides what you’re saying about frequency, I think it’s also the current soil conditions and how the individual detector is set up.

Just yesterday, I went back over the same spot I’d been over a half dozen times before, previously using my favorite Bandido, a modded Cibola, an Outlaw and a Vaquero. Each time I’d found just one or two I missed before - all older coins dropped on an old sled run that’s now got small trees growing in it. Took the Tejon yesterday and found another silver Rosie and a wheatie, right in the same place I’d found similar coins before - and these weren’t down any deeper; maybe 4-5”. Aside from the Tejon being higher frequency (shouldn’t have mattered), the main difference is time of year - the soil is really wet right now ‘cause snow recently melted off.
    I also noticed because the Tejon isn’t used often and I forget some things anout it, that it’ll miss or give poor signal on larger (quarter size) coins if they’re shallow depth - when the sensitivity is set up too high. Turning it down, the shallow quarters give a stronger dig-it signal. I noticed that same thing with a couple other Tesoros too - sometimes too high a sensitivity setting gives a poor signal on larger, shallow coins - but still seems OK on the deep ones, especially so with the larger coils.
    move along - nothing to see here..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links