The Mighty Mojave

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I love my F75-2DST and here lately it has been my go to detector for silver coin cherry picking. Just yesterday I found 4 silver coins with it, but they weren't in highly trashy areas or in places loaded up with nails. I carefully worked both edges of a driveway and service walk to the front door of a house with my F75 until I was confident that I got everything. Then I went back over the same area with my Mojave and I was finding scores of coins that my F75 couldn't detect.

On the other hand, just few days earlier, I thoroughly went over a small front yard with my Mojave and didn't find any silver coins. Then when I went back over the same area again with my F75 I popped a 7 to 8 inch Mercury dime right out in the middle of the yard. There was nothing around it to mask it, but it was just a little too deep for my Mojave to detect with the the 7 inch concentric search coil.

Can the Mojave detect as deep as a F75? Nope, but it can run circles around the F75 and most other detectors in a bed nails and where targets are close together. All I'm saying is use whatever detector you like, but make sure you have a Mojave to be certain that you don't leave anything behind. The Mojave also makes a great gold ring and jewelry detector. To top it all off, the Mojave is just flat out super fun to use.

Just keep in mind, the Mojave wasn't designed for the really deep coins, it shines best at finding those shallower masked silver coins (less than 7 inches deep) that the most detectors can't detect. Most silver coins are less than 7 inches deep. That's has been my experience. So, $251.10 dollars for a Mojave that comes with a lifetime warranty is a hell of deal. You're missing the boat if you don't own one. Also, I'd say that there are a lot more silver coins out there to be found that are masked than those are too deep to detect.

tabman

hi tab!
at what setting on the disc. do you usually set the mojave?
also, can you set the mojave to all coins and still get down 7" on a coin.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Arkie

Feb 16, 2017
NE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story and true throughout...Yes, I think Tab and I probably talked to the same Rusty about the Mojave and I'll never forget how adamant he was and correct that the Mojave is a "FUN" detector!! So... Rusty is already a legend but I too believe the Mojave will shortly follow suit.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi tab!
at what setting on the disc. do you usually set the mojave?
also, can you set the mojave to all coins and still get down 7" on a coin.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I always set the discrimination to the point where a nail is just barely discriminated out. I can't tell you much on using higher discrimination because I've never used high discrimination on the Mojave. Most Tesoro detectors don't lose any depth with higher discrimination.

Great story and true throughout...Yes, I think Tab and I probably talked to the same Rusty about the Mojave and I'll never forget how adamant he was and correct that the Mojave is a "FUN" detector!! So... Rusty is already a legend but I too believe the Mojave will shortly follow suit.

Not doubt that Rusty Henry is a living legend. One thing I know for sure, my Mojave isn't going anywhere! That sucker works great in a bed of nails. I've done really well with it along the front sidewalks and driveways that are closest to house. They are usually loaded up with roofing nails and other trash that my other detectors have trouble detecting around. Not the Mojave! With its short production run and Tesoro going out of business, these great little detectors are going to be hard to come by.

tabman

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007

rusty will forget more about tesoros than most will ever know!
what a terrific ambassador for tesoro he has been all these years.
man knows his s**t!.i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
I always set the discrimination to the point where a nail is just barely discriminated out. I can't tell you much on using higher discrimination because I've never used high discrimination on the Mojave. Most Tesoro detectors don't lose any depth with higher discrimination.

Not doubt that Rusty Henry is a living legend. One thing I know for sure, my Mojave isn't going anywhere! That sucker works great in a bed of nails. I've done really well with it along the front sidewalks and driveways that are closest to house. They are usually loaded up with roofing nails and other trash that my other detectors have trouble detecting around. Not the Mojave! With its short production run and Tesoro going out of business, these great little detectors are going to be hard to come by.

tabman

they have virtually disappeared now!
just about gone!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Arkie

Feb 16, 2017
NE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mojave...A best kept secret in plain view:thumbsup:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II Ī¼MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...How did all my other machines miss that large dress weight? Really not sure.lol. it is my firm belief that Khz and coil make a huge difference on all machines and how they see stiff in the ground. The Tesoros I own range from 10khz, 12khz, 14khz and 17khz and all of them see things different...

Besides what youā€™re saying about frequency, I think itā€™s also the current soil conditions and how the individual detector is set up.

Just yesterday, I went back over the same spot Iā€™d been over a half dozen times before, previously using my favorite Bandido, a modded Cibola, an Outlaw and a Vaquero. Each time Iā€™d found just one or two I missed before - all older coins dropped on an old sled run thatā€™s now got small trees growing in it. Took the Tejon yesterday and found another silver Rosie and a wheatie, right in the same place Iā€™d found similar coins before - and these werenā€™t down any deeper; maybe 4-5ā€. Aside from the Tejon being higher frequency (shouldnā€™t have mattered), the main difference is time of year - the soil is really wet right now ā€˜cause snow recently melted off.
I also noticed because the Tejon isnā€™t used often and I forget some things anout it, that itā€™ll miss or give poor signal on larger (quarter size) coins if theyā€™re shallow depth - when the sensitivity is set up too high. Turning it down, the shallow quarters give a stronger dig-it signal. I noticed that same thing with a couple other Tesoros too - sometimes too high a sensitivity setting gives a poor signal on larger, shallow coins - but still seems OK on the deep ones, especially so with the larger coils.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides what youā€™re saying about frequency, I think itā€™s also the current soil conditions and how the individual detector is set up.

Just yesterday, I went back over the same spot Iā€™d been over a half dozen times before, previously using my favorite Bandido, a modded Cibola, an Outlaw and a Vaquero. Each time Iā€™d found just one or two I missed before - all older coins dropped on an old sled run thatā€™s now got small trees growing in it. Took the Tejon yesterday and found another silver Rosie and a wheatie, right in the same place Iā€™d found similar coins before - and these werenā€™t down any deeper; maybe 4-5ā€. Aside from the Tejon being higher frequency (shouldnā€™t have mattered), the main difference is time of year - the soil is really wet right now ā€˜cause snow recently melted off.
I also noticed because the Tejon isnā€™t used often and I forget some things anout it, that itā€™ll miss or give poor signal on larger (quarter size) coins if theyā€™re shallow depth - when the sensitivity is set up too high. Turning it down, the shallow quarters give a stronger dig-it signal. I noticed that same thing with a couple other Tesoros too - sometimes too high a sensitivity setting gives a poor signal on larger, shallow coins - but still seems OK on the deep ones, especially so with the larger coils.

Nicely put!!!
First on the time thing..... I didn't get out but a couple times last year. And the year before that I had a large influx of detectors as well as the year before that.
I have a feeling that this year, which I plan on getting out alot---im itching bad to get out, I'm going to have to remind myself alot about my vaquero and modded cibola and even my outlaw. Been over a year and with some 2 since I've ran them.
The only ones I k ow for a fact I'll be good with right away is Mojave and compadres lol.
Also got a black Tejon on the way.
Very sad to think about the company going under. If I ever thought of thinning out my collection, that's gone now. Lol.

Second being the sensitivity thing.
I remember learning the same thing with my cibola (after the mod) and vaquero. U less I'm trying to go 12" deep I found it best to back of on sensitivity and also set threshold to a very slight him so I can get the nuances and different sounds based on depth and stuff. Roundness alot more pronounced too on good targets. Definitely get the smacking "dig me" too.

Ugh. Well I guess I'll have to treat my tesoros even nicer than before. If they die I'm screwed.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7ā€ black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Nicely put!!!
First on the time thing..... I didn't get out but a couple times last year. And the year before that I had a large influx of detectors as well as the year before that.
I have a feeling that this year, which I plan on getting out alot---im itching bad to get out, I'm going to have to remind myself alot about my vaquero and modded cibola and even my outlaw. Been over a year and with some 2 since I've ran them.
The only ones I k ow for a fact I'll be good with right away is Mojave and compadres lol.
Also got a black Tejon on the way.
Very sad to think about the company going under. If I ever thought of thinning out my collection, that's gone now. Lol.

Second being the sensitivity thing.
I remember learning the same thing with my cibola (after the mod) and vaquero. U less I'm trying to go 12" deep I found it best to back of on sensitivity and also set threshold to a very slight him so I can get the nuances and different sounds based on depth and stuff. Roundness alot more pronounced too on good targets. Definitely get the smacking "dig me" too.

Ugh. Well I guess I'll have to treat my tesoros even nicer than before. If they die I'm screwed.

Wow Stoof... reading your post exactly stated my own circumstances... have not gotten out much in two years, but am itching to do so. I like each of the Tesoros I own but need to almost relearn them because of recent lack of use!

There is just one more (well maybe two, if I could find a nice one) detector I want to own... that Tejon (And a nice Pantera). Have thought about that new deep tech X, but just canā€™t let go of the thought of the Tejon in my arsenal.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Stoof... reading your post exactly stated my own circumstances... have not gotten out much in two years, but am itching to do so. I like each of the Tesoros I own but need to almost relearn them because of recent lack of use!

There is just one more (well maybe two, if I could find a nice one) detector I want to own... that Tejon (And a nice Pantera). Have thought about that new deep tech X, but just canā€™t let go of the thought of the Tejon in my arsenal.

I wanted a Tejon for years. Didn't want to pay full and didn't want to buy used without the warranty.
To me the warranty covered part of the new coat but with my stable of detectors it never seemed urgent.
Now with the closing and no warranty to speak of I picked up a black Tejon the other day on an auction site. Got a great deal and finally feel like I scratched the itch I've had for the past 3 years
If the new ones were selling at discount because of no warranty maybe I would have gone that way, but I'm happy with the deal I got. Came with a 5.75 concentric too. The coils are getting hard to find new too.
For some reason I always felt like I wanted the Tejon. Happy to have it on the way to me now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread