I want to buy a new Tesoro Vaquero with??

Chunter

Greenie
Mar 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, I have been looking at many machines like the Etrac, V3I and now the Vaquero. I like what I have seen so far about the Vaquero but the problem I have now is what coils to get. Please Help Me Decide..!!!:) I want one DD coil and one Concentric coil. Should I buy the 11x8 machine and buy a small 6" concentric? or the stock 9x8 machine with a 6" wide scan? OOORRR buy the 11x8 machine and the 9x8 concentric coil? Any other coil recommendations? I don't like the big coils but want max depth. Will be coin,relic, and beach searching:) Thanks....want the black high tone VAQ

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm running a 11x8 on my Vaquero I like it much better than the 9x8. The only other coil I plan on getting is the 5 3/4" Concentric. I think those two coils make a Vaquero a darn good all around set up. IMHO

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, 11 x8 rsd and 5.75 concentric are all you will need.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I likey 9x8 concentric and haven't run my new RSD coil yet, but the 5.75 concentric is a great idea.
How's your soil there?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in big time on the 5.75 concentric, but I'm not in on the 11 x 8 RSD search coil where I detect. I'd pick the NEL Sharpshooter or the Tesoro 5 x 10 DD search coil instead. The 8 inch doughnut search coil is nice choice as well. It's deep, it discriminates well, it pinpoints great and has good separation.

tabman

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i run the 11x8 and 5.75 concentric on my Tejon. I like them both they rock. I didn't like the 11x8 at first but it stays on a lot of the time now. It misses nothing but it loves steel bottle caps.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perfect match for me wisest decision I made going with this duo, I often thought about the 8" donut and yes must be the standard stock coil for the Vaquero other then the 9x8 but since they came out with the 11x8 hmmm, especially when it comes down to sizing up and object in the ground and pinpointing almost perfectly the 8 would make sense for pinpointing thats where I agree with Tabman, but the 5.75 concentric does quit as well...I would imagine hence why I went with it I have already a 11x8 RSD but since Tabman has posted this why spend more money on the 8" (yes if I had the money I would) but that is why you have a Compadre or Mojave for, right? Hence back to what Weglund and Terry mentioned on this perfect match nothing more needed...therefore nothing more needed for me anyways.. and nothing against the Mojave or Compadre here as I would still love to own one and would be either the Compadre 8' or the Mojave 7 for me if I were to go with this but not another 8" for my Vaq unless it was sold that way:occasion14: Oh yes I agree with Tabman all the way on the coil other then the 11x8 maybe to big for me but only for seperation for depth it kills thats what makes a great dual as my 5.75 kills on seperation. For the 5x10 though great observation on this size even for my area....seen some discussion on Garret on a 5x8 DD but for the Vaq he is likely right her for the size match up....great observation, sorry for editing this as I giving more thought to what Tabman is saying here makes sense what he is saying here too.

:dontknow:

Last edited:

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much sweeter is the 8 inch donut? I wondered about this one. I often wished my compadre had the 8 inch.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 8 on my 8 compadre (great) bandido II micromax (great) Cutlass Micromax (great) outlaw (great)
I saw it online and didn't really consider it, but it is a great great coil on my 5 pins!!
I believe it's the hole in the center.
It tricks you into thinking you're pi pointing better. Well I did when I first got my compadre. And it was nice to x pinpoint then stick my hori hori through the hole.

Thanks for the idea about the 8 guys!!!

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much sweeter is the 8 inch donut? I wondered about this one. I often wished my compadre had the 8 inch.

My friends compadre has the 8 and mine has the 5.75. We've compared them a bunch and your not missing anything with the small coil depth wise. In fact the small coil hits on the buried coin/nail targets I have more reliably than the 8 does. Its a better match for the compadre IMO
After doing some comparisons he said he wished he had gotten the smaller coil.

Noah

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friends compadre has the 8 and mine has the 5.75. We've compared them a bunch and your not missing anything with the small coil depth wise. In fact the small coil hits on the buried coin/nail targets I have more reliably than the 8 does. Its a better match for the compadre IMO
After doing some comparisons he said he wished he had gotten the smaller coil.

Noah

The 8 inch search coil isn't a good match for the Compadre.

tabman

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it seems like a weird pairing.
But for me as my first machine it did help having the hole in the coil. Even on my first target I was able to perfectly pinpoint. So as a first machine it was nice.
I still find myself using it more than my small coil version, but that could be because I am more used to it.
But the smaller coil version is lighter. Featherweight.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Can't speak for the Vaq, but I've found the 8" brown donut to be just a tad deeper than the 9x8 spiders on the umax detectors I've compared. Not enough to get all excited about, but a small bit..
luvsdux

Nomad NJ

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 11 8 and 5.75 for my vaq. Both very good coils. I have not used the 9 8 in a long time.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 11 8 and 5.75 for my vaq. Both very good coils. I have not used the 9 8 in a long time.

Agreed

I have the 5 3/4 Widescan, not the concentric, but it's almost as deep as the 9x8 stock in my rusting dirt. I love it on my Cibola, I know I'm not missing much.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8 inch search coil isn't a good match for the Compadre.

tabman

I've tried several times to get Rusty to run me a few 10.5 concentrics from the old days, but no luck yet. They are very busy because of this old technology detector they just came out with that isnt nothing new that nobody wants...

From the Bandido II umax manual:

COIL-10.5RC 10 1/2" round concentric (open center, white)

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've tried several times to get Rusty to run me a few 10.5 concentrics from the old days, but no luck yet. They are very busy because of this old technology detector they just came out with that isnt nothing new that nobody wants...

From the Bandido II umax manual:

COIL-10.5RC 10 1/2" round concentric (open center, white)

Good discussion other then the 8" donut and the great widescan and concentric 6" and even the 7" concentric on the Mojave, when comparing to the 9x8 Web....you make sense Steve that 10.5 donut vs the 9x8 in general would be better I imagine over the Web. I think the 9x8 for weight and size did fill the gap between the 8" and the 10.5 round concentric when Tesoro stopped making he 10.5 but think it wins over the 9x8 in my mind, and having back the 10.5 would not have to deal with twigs and branches getting caught up in your coil and just the technology can some one explain to me the concentric if it is still wrapped around the same way as a donut I imagine there would be no copper windings in the middle obviously just arount the the coil itself ..right?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Good discussion other then the 8" donut and the great widescan and concentric 6" and even the 7" concentric on the Mojave, when comparing to the 9x8 Web....you make sense Steve that 10.5 donut vs the 9x8 in general would be better I imagine over the Web. I think the 9x8 for weight and size did fill the gap between the 8" and the 10.5 round concentric when Tesoro stopped making he 10.5 but think it wins over the 9x8 in my mind, and having back the 10.5 would not have to deal with twigs and branches getting caught up in your coil and just the technology can some one explain to me the concentric if it is still wrapped around the same way as a donut I imagine there would be no copper windings in the middle obviously just arount the the coil itself ..right?

Not sure I would agree about the 10.5 concentric doughnut coil. I found it to be noticeably heavy compared to the 8" concentric or even the 11 x 8 RSD, and I did not find that its depth was that much greater than the 8" to make the front heavy set up worth it. Then you must also consider that a concentric coil that large will have a pretty big detection field, which, unlike the larger DDs of the same size, will be more likely to mask good targets in the trashier sites. Maybe in more open, less trashy areas it might be better, but then it's weight is still going to be a problem, and it's not going to be long swinging in that open field before that weight is going to really be felt. JMHO.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have not experienced the weight differential between the 11x8 with you I think it would be abit top heavier for sure not by much I can't imagine though, but I am a concentric fan if I were to have the 10.5 by my side vs my 11x8 just on targeting alone other then weight..I think pinpointing I would turn up coins more often. Seperation will be way better on the 6 over the 8 and even over the 10.5 but I think I would like to try one over my 11x8 though just to see, For Three coils if the Vaq came in a three coil pack like the Outlaw it would be 5.75 con, 8, and the eliptical for me.:notworthy: I really don't need bigger or deeper as the Vaq is already deep even with the super tune it comes with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread