Compadre, or mojave?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, I pm'ed a tesoro fan on here who seems rather knowledgeable on these machines but he doesn't seem to be active on here lately.

I have a fisher f75 as my primary machine and I love it. I'd like a one two punch with depth from the fisher, and the great disc./seperation from a tesoro.

I have an opportunity to buy a used compadre that in his words was modified to accept other coils....I dont know enough about these machines to know the technical side of them. I could get that machine for 125 dollars.

I also like the mojave for the ground balance. For an extra 125 bucks would it be more worth it to just get the mojave?

Thanks for any info.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Compadre without interchangeable coils (ie stock), and I would rather get the Mojave. Nothing wrong the Compadre, but for the relatively small difference, you'll get the lifetime warranty. I bought my Compadre used, and there's nothing wrong with doing so, and if the price hadn't been so good, I would've gotten it new. Had I also known the Mojave was coming out, I would've waited for it (got the Compadre 3 weeks before the Mojave came out).

The Mojave is also reported to have greater depth, and is supposed to be a Compadre on steroids.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's simply way more machine and would compliment your F75 well.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have good soil, compadre is beyond great for its price. But the Mojave has sensitivity and ground switch. It has the ability to change coils, but without a GB knob, I'm not a fan of changing them on these machines. But you can and should get on ok with it, but the 7" that comes on it is a great coil.
Either way id buy new for the warranty.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Mojave is deeper, it is not a compadre.

depends then on how much do you want to spend.....

$250 is great for a new Mojave, a better machine than the Silver umax for same price.

I ran for years no motion all metal on my F75, I love the no motion all metal on the Outlaw, half the weight.

A new Mojave for twice the price will get you a lifetime warranty and a couple three more inches imho. Your call.

Buy the Compadre, then move up if you like it.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd vote Mojave.
Also not sure if Tesoro will repair modded detectors?

Noah

Last edited:
OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. That lifetime warranty is very hard to look past! Plus the two extra features.....and some depth. Sounds like 125 dollars well spent.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro will always work on modded units. But one catch is it has to be restored to factory and at your cost.
Like my cibola would cost me a bit because they would have to add the trim pot back to the board and add the pinpoint button again while removing my toggle and 10 turn pot.
It's 50 plus extra if it's an in depth restoration back to stock.
But they will never return a modded u it in modded condition.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It if I had to do it again today, with the Mojave out, I'd just get the Mojave. It has all the Mojave has plus extra. Yes it's 90 more, but that 90 more than covers the ground switch and that coil it comes with.
And later if you get an outlaw or out of production manual GB machine that's a 5 pins, you can use the Mojave coil on that too.

But when I got my co.padre the Mojave was nowhere in sight
I live my compadres but you'll probably end up with the Mojave anyway once you use and if you like the compadre.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Compadre is a great, low priced fun detector, BUT the extra features of the Mojave make this a no-brainer in my opinion. Get the Mojave.
luvsdux

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a used conquistador online as well for 200. The gold umax? I know tesoro dropped them so could you still have work done to these units if something failed?

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just keeping an eye open at other options till mojaves become available again...

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No sense in muddling up your search with other units. Find the Mojave, and get digging!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for pms and all info guys!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what you do!!!
Hope the PM helped. Better to go with a known name in my opinion than some guy in eBay, unless they have a cheap barely used but to test Mojave with blank warranty card, then I'd make my decision on price.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Mojave, it pairs up great with my F75 and AT Pro. If you're serious about detecting, get a Mojave. It amazes me every time that I use it. It pulls coins out the nails better than any detector that I've ever used. Detecting right up next to houses is now fun and rewarding. Plus, it's just flat out fun to use!

Even though it's not as deep as my F75 and AT Pro, it will find coins and other good targets that they miss. On the other hand, the Mojave can't find the deeper targets that the F75 and AT Pro find. That's why they pair up so well together.

The guy who sold his Mojave after air testing it and without using it, missed the point and the boat on how best to use the Mojave.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread