What would make a better pair?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Will be picking up a Mojave, soon I think, but will also be able to purchase another Tesoro as well. As I have the Golden already and the Mojave only has the GB switch, I really want a Third detector with manual ground balance.

So I was wondering which of the two - Vaquero or Outlaw, would make a better compliment to the Golden and Mojave?

I was thinking the Vaquero, cuz then you'd have three detectors with three different frequencies, and each having some unique features as well, but then with the Outlaw, all the coils would be 5 pin and would work on all three machines.

Thoughts?

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to add to the choices but just saw an eldorado uMax on eBay.
With three coils.

Noah

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's a toss up.
Vaquero is more suited for deep relic hunting with ed180 so not the best in iron and the outlaw seems to fit more into the coin and jewelry hunting area for me and with the ed120 it's nice in iron and trash. Another plus is the outlaw can use your Mojave and other 5 pin coils.

Many will say this one or that, but I try not to impart my opinions too much and just state what is fact about the machines.

Your golden isn't very deep and although the golden runs at 10 khz it's not the same as an outlaw really. The golden is more for shallow targets and designed for target ID.
On the other hand the vaquero is a 4 pin and different that the 5 pins on depth.

I'm sorry I can't give a better answer for you. Great reviews on both for different reasons.
So I guess just find what you want the next detector to be for and weigh the pros and cons.

I have both so the only answer I have is get both hahaha.
Happy hunting!!

Pablo1961

Greenie
Mar 22, 2017
New Baden
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism
Whites V3i
Tesoro Outlaw
Corteś
LST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Outlaw, then the coils can be shared. My Outlaw has no problem relic hunting. Really good depth with the 8 inch concentric.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not try a Vaquero this time..?

Will be picking up a Mojave, soon I think, but will also be able to purchase another Tesoro as well. As I have the Golden already and the Mojave only has the GB switch, I really want a Third detector with manual ground balance.

So I was wondering which of the two - Vaquero or Outlaw, would make a better compliment to the Golden and Mojave?

I was thinking the Vaquero, cuz then you'd have three detectors with three different frequencies, and each having some unique features as well, but then with the Outlaw, all the coils would be 5 pin and would work on all three machines.

Thoughts?

Outlaw takes the 4 pin coils and is super in trash.

..BUT, I have to say that the Mojave also works surprising well in trash. So..if you want something to compliment the Mojave and your Golden, maybe a Vaquero should be the one. You won't be able to share the coils though.
No idea how good your ears are, but if they're getting older like mine are, you may want a high-tone version Vaquero. It's higher than than the Outlaw's, and more like the Bandido (pretty high). I like it much better than the standard Vaquero tone.

You've tried the Outlaw and didn't hit it off. Just grab a Vaquero this time.

Also, if you do get a Vaquero... Don't forget a 5.75 concentric. :sunny:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't even have to think about it, get the Vaquero. It goes really deep and handles EMI well.

tabman

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the Vaquero with stock and 5.75 concentric. Pick whatever for the stock.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP,
how do you define "compliment" in your view?

If you want ground balance and deeper that is similar to what you got, get the Outlaw. What was your issue with your first Outlaw?

If you want a beast to dig horseshoes two feet deep, get the Vaquero or Tejon with 11x8 RSD.

Where I'm going and what I'm looking for determines which detector(s) I throw in truck.

Also consider sometimes doing nothing is the hardest thing to do.....

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outlaw takes the 4 pin coils and is super in trash.

..BUT, I have to say that the Mojave also works surprising well in trash. So..if you want something to compliment the Mojave and your Golden, maybe a Vaquero should be the one. You won't be able to share the coils though.
No idea how good your ears are, but if they're getting older like mine are, you may want a high-tone version Vaquero. It's higher than than the Outlaw's, and more like the Bandido (pretty high). I like it much better than the standard Vaquero tone.

You've tried the Outlaw and didn't hit it off. Just grab a Vaquero this time.

Also, if you do get a Vaquero... Don't forget a 5.75 concentric. :sunny:

Outlaw takes 5 pin. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't getting wrong info :-)

If you do decide this idea of the high tone vaquero, I recommend ordering from rusty. Won't have to pay extra shipping to get the mid done. He will take the new machine, have it modded, then send it to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
The Outlaw is listed in his profile...."past"

Yes, the Outlaw is a "past machine" I owned one for one season, but only had, maybe 20 hours on it, if that... so my "issues" with the Outlaw are not grounded in enough experience to be a fair critic... let me please admit that right from the start. I sold it cause I needed some quick cash, was not using it very much (my job commitments were keeping me from doing much detecting at all last year, and I needed to show the wife that I could let go of something that was just sitting around). Pinenut bought my Outlaw and I know he is very happy with it, and he should be, cuz he got a great deal!

I had no issues with the "red button" and loved the tone, nice and crisp, nice silent operation. Only thing I was not impressed with was depth at a higher disc setting. Also, if I set the sensitivity too high, rusty iron and some tabs were coming in at higher disc settings... it might have been my soil, combination of not being ground balanced perfectly, etc...

So... having said all that, I will be getting the Mojave because I have a lot of gravel parking areas that use the slag from coke plants, which sound of like hot rocks, and it looks like the Mojave will open up some areas with its special high mineral GB switch.

But I also want something with a full manual GB function and I am open to giving the Outlaw another go (as it didn't get a fair shake to begin with), but wondered if the Vaquero would be a better choice (or even a nice used Elderado).

I think the only real drawback with the Vaq is that it is 4 pin, vs the golden/Mojave/Outlaw 5 pin coil set up. I have also read that some report the Vaquero sees some deeper Iron as a high conductor... so I would really like to hear more about that, if it is true.

Finally, just to round out the picture for you, I have parks, school yards and fields, and a few older home sites to hunt. I am hoping to join a nearby club as well, which will open up some areas and offer some club hunts as well (so the frequency shift on the Vaquero/Elderado might be handy).

Thanks for your thoughts...

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the Vaquero is a higher freq, so it should hit iron and gold better

I dont think you can go wrong with either, the Vaquero is a little deeper but I prefer the no motion all metal mode of the Outlaw

I dont have an opinion about the Tejon

I'd get the Vaquero and 11x8 RSD coil with high tone. Save the smaller coils and coin shooting to your Mojave and Golden.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey' give some love to the Sand Shark. If you can aford it and have a beach or water neaby think about it.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"So... having said all that, I will be getting the Mojave because I have a lot of gravel parking areas that use the slag from coke plants, which sound of like hot rocks, and it looks like the Mojave will open up some areas with its special high mineral GB switch."

My .02.

First if you are shopping and have hot rocks go with the Mojave as your go too, I to agree. 2nd if you are deciding on a second detector other then the Golden you already own, wait before you by a new Vaq. I believe Tesoro is coming out with something soon no hurry learn your Mojave and you have the Golden. If Tesoro comes out with something then you have something to ponder on other then a NEW Vaq and if you buy a new release, you can always pick up a used Vaq later then SINCE you have already used a Outlaw anyways and yes that would be a detector I imagine you would like back too, if you have spend more time on it. What is done is done, I think a new line detector will have a cross between what you have already, have previously owned and what you are currently looking in your new detector.

Again my .02

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread