Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really did go outside immediately after watching the video to see if he was correct. Dropped a nail and a quarter. Same tone.
Blew me away.
Honest. I had never noticed that it had one tone. Never crossed my mind. Whew! Talk about not paying attention....

Anyways, as I stated before, I wouldn't sell my "inferior " DeLeon for the full price I paid.
I just sold a brand new Garret ACE 200, with multi tones, for $100. Gone by by.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rather have a Tesoro with 1 tone that tells me to dig (and when the Lobo Super Traqs says dig, it's 75% chance of a good target) then digital detectors(and yes, i have also other brand of digital detectors with multitones) with mutitones that try to convince me not to dig

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yea, love when people pick up detectors new to them with no understanding of how they work and make vids and actually post them comparing how they work compared to units they know...and then knock them.
Same person did a vid trying out a borrowed F75 which he admitted be didn't understand at all, which was hilariously obvious, but still felt the need to post the vid.

People that don't know Tesoros just can't wrap their heads around the idea that the one tone can and does contain a ton of information.
But it's always been that way.

nevets2968

Greenie
Feb 10, 2017
North Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Pro Pointer AT (well soon I'll have one.) Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 w/ a diggit hori knife, oh and a Lesche Sampson T handled shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He also spelled surprised wrong.

" I got a tesoro cortes in a trade and was suprized when I got to the test garden." ;)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've posted this several times before. One day, after many hours of listening to that one tone, you suddenly realize that you are recognizing slightly different nuances in the tone depending on whether you're over a coin or trash. Takes a good number of hours with the detector before you develop this skill and it won't come to you by just going out and swinging over a nail and then a quarter one time. In fact, I'm not sure it can be described, just learned thru hours of experience.
luvsdux

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That video is hilarious though.
I had said it in another thread about why you are seeing the new Mojave up for sale used already.
A good chunk of those are people buying without researching that Tesoro is analog and single tone.
Personally, I don't really care what people say about them, I love mine. And I have the Deleon too so it's a little fancy while still holding true to Tesoro name and function

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The accuracy of the VID on the DeLeon, and Cortes, in combo with the single tone, is what sets it apart from other detectors.
At least that's my opinion, and we all have this right.
The strength of the single tone is what you listen to.

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only liked my Golden Sabre because of the multi tone.
Not interested in single tone for how I hunt.
Thought about a Cortes but Single tone and ID all over the place I decided to pass on it.
I also laughed when I seen the mad rush for the Mohave it is just another X3 or silver sabre in a new package. There is no reason they can't give you a Multi Tone option that you can shut off if you wish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cortes and DeLeon have VIDs. Their accuracy is hugely excellent. Once the user realizes the honesty if the VID then there you go. I have the Gamma 6000 as a backup, and it's a liar. 3 tones too.
I discriminate out iron on the DeLeon and I never ever dig iron nails. Never. So why would I want a low tone.
If the single tone is a little chattery, and the VID wiggles even a little around nickel, then I'm not digging that pull tab.

If the tone is solid, and the 95 reading on the VID is solid, then 90% of the time it's a dime or quarter or silver ring.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if the detector has only one tone, the variance in the sound of that one tone will tell you a whole lot about the target in the ground. Solid tone = dig. Scratchy tone = junk most of the time - it's up to the user whether or not to dig.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if the detector has only one tone, the variance in the sound of that one tone will tell you a whole lot about the target in the ground. Solid tone = dig. Scratchy tone = junk most of the time - it's up to the user whether or not to dig.

Spot in description.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this isn't about the DeLeon, but my point is, is that there are some things a one tone machine can do others 3x its price cant.

Keith Southern is a pro. I mean a real professional in the metal detecting world. If he says no other machine will do what he's doing..no other machine will.

Video:

Try this test with the DeLeon/Cortes or XP Deus or Racer red/black and youll find that the Tejon with its one tone smokes them. Yes it may be because of the concentric coil.. but if XP doesn't have a concentric or the Makro doesn't have a concentric how can they compare?

Edit:

Its amazing how well that 9x8 coil passes that test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In just a very short period of time, I have become a huge Tesoro fan. I had to buy another MD to fully appreciate my DeLeon even more. The DeLeon and the Cortes are very similar.
Again, until I saw the video, I never thought about D being a one toner. I hear many tones.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've posted this several times before. One day, after many hours of listening to that one tone, you suddenly realize that you are recognizing slightly different nuances in the tone depending on whether you're over a coin or trash. Takes a good number of hours with the detector before you develop this skill and it won't come to you by just going out and swinging over a nail and then a quarter one time. In fact, I'm not sure it can be described, just learned thru hours of experience.
luvsdux

It can be described as pitch!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted a tot lot this morning for an hour, find 9 clad.
I hunted with the purpose of listening to the sounds of the DeLeon. Wow......hundreds of thousands of tones.
Well, not that many, but it is surprising of the amount of pitches and other sounds. You just have to listen and associate that with the very accurate VID, to dig or not dig.

Now I suppose there are naysayers, it's all in my imagination. However, I would suspect these folks have never spent hours with this machine, never owned one, or the "one tone" blew their mind and traded or sold it.
I would say, "test it for a few hours in a real live hunt, not in a test garden at 4 inches".

Last edited:

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted a tot lot this morning for an hour, find 9 clad.
I hunted with the purpose of listening to the sounds of the DeLeon. Wow......hundreds of thousands of tones.
Well, not that many, but it is surprising of the amount of pitches and other sounds. You just have to listen and associate that with the very accurate VID, to dig or not dig.

Now I suppose there are naysayers, it's all in my imagination. However, I would suspect these folks have never spent hours with this machine, never owned one, or the "one tone" blew their mind and traded or sold it.
I would say, "test it for a few hours in a real live hunt, not in a test garden at 4 inches".

In the years/months/days to come you may find a machine better than the DeLeon as far as your needs are concerned. I love the multi-tone functionality of my Racer 2, the notching and other features.. Dont mean I dont like my DeLeon though.. the D with a cleansweep is just awesome in tot lots.

If you haven't tried this in tot lots.. try the D in all-metal and dig anything that makes a blip and shows an ID no matter how low the number.. you'll start finding hairpins and other super small junk and if you stay at it you'll find micro jewelry no doubt. Thats what I bought the D for.. a cleansweep micro jewelry machine with a re-tune (motion) all metal so that I can get decently close to big playground iron like swing-set poles.. be ready the D will hit on small chains that give very low ID's.. and with the 575 coil it will hit super tiny stuff.

The D is sensitive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread