pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey beach detectorists, would you recommend a Tesoro for doing left coast beaches? Not just the dry sand, but actually getting out into shallow surf.

If a Tesoro, which of their water units would work best here, and why? Does the Sand Shark have any "Tesoro language" to help with target ID, or do bottlecaps, foil, pulltabs and silver coins all sound the same?
Would you recommend something other than Tesoro? I love my Tesoro land detectors (some more than others), but now thinking about hitting beaches once or twice a week this summer.
Wifey already gave me the go for a proper beach detector.. :sunny:

Thanks for any advice!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sand Shark. One tone, hits EVERYTHING. I only use mine in the wet sand and in the water.:skullflag:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab ctx3030, excal. Fisher CZ21 for wet salt sand if you desire discrimination but comes at high price. The Shark, sea hunter, beachhunter for lower price. Depends on how much you can spend.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Tesoro Tigershark but this one is not suited for the salt water, it works but not great. To much chatter. I use the Minelab Excalibur for the salt, works great but for fresh water i prefer my Tigershark over my Excalibur.

Last edited:

Rob in (ca)

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had any luck with any single freq detector on (wet salt sand) here in Southern California. (from all The Manufactures)

I've used The Sand Shark (PI) In Low Tide with good Results

The Single Freq Detectors will work great in the Dry sand, in most beach's here, I seem to do Better in The Dry sand.

Beach's over here are NOT Calm..... The Strong Currents / Rip Tides / Wave Action, makes In the water hunting Dangerous. (good luck on retrieving your target)

Best Bet is to go out on (Low Tide) with a PI and do The PI walk....... leave The Single Freq Detectors for The Dry Sand

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those riptides..

?..Beach's over here are NOT Calm..... The Strong Currents / Rip Tides / Wave Action, makes In the water hunting Dangerous...

Yeah; I know exactly what you're talking about.. I think the only time in my life I thought I was going to die was when I was out boogie-boarding with a friend during a storm, no one on the beach..no lifeguard..and a terrific rip tide... Every time I made up for air, another big wave took me straight back to the bottom; you couldn't just dive under 'em, they took you down and out. I finally swam out of the rip going parallel to the beach, but I sure felt beat when I got in.
I grew up in Huntington Beach, BTW. Living in the mountains now, but sure do miss the beach..(not those rip tides).

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Thinking about the Sand Shark, but also going to read up on the Excalibur.. :sunny:

Rob in (ca)

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sand Shark Is Deeper, But your Limited to the wet sand..... PI's are not very Productive in The Dry sand, The Excalibur you could do Dry & Wet Hunting.......All The Wet sand hunters over here use PI's ...... Two Summers ago I used The Outlaw for hunting around The Fire pits and did good, as I always came home with a pouch full of goodies.

tucando

Greenie
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
Detector(s) used
White's VISION/ MXT Pro- GPZ 7000/3500 & BFO'S- GM3-Compass 77 AUTO
Lobo ST with a 8 inch concentric is the ticket for wet sands when operating in the alkaline mode.!

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land Shark, candy-gram, SAND SHARK.
Open the door and let um in.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the Sand Shark is a PI machine, after about the first set of batteries you will get the hang of identifying iron targets.....just slowly sweep coil from all directions on a given target....if tone ever breaks, its iron. This works about 80-90% of the time once you get the hang of it. Only machine I liked better at the beach was the Sovereign GT...but cant get her wet so kinda a pain. TDI is a little deeper but will whip your butt digging a deep nail....also does not like the water. If I lived a little closer to the beach I would have another Sand Shark.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oregon coast has all the safety issues of the California coast, but with water temps closer to 50-54 degrees. Can you say, "shrinkage"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread