Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my 5th ring of the year and my career, yesterday. It's a man's 18K, with the big stone missing.
I spent 30 min searching the dirt I pulled out and sorrounding area for the stone. No luck.

I am very puzzled. I found it with my DeLeon, and it rang up a solid 95, which is a q or d on the Deleon, and sometimes a penny.

Since its 18K, which I presume is gold, I am curious as to why it rang up a 95, instead of a lower number, such as a 60, on the VID?

In an air test last night, my gold wedding ring is a pretty solid 60. The ring I dug yesterday was again, a 95 held flat. Held on it's end, bounced between 95, 60, and 55.

Anyone like to clue me in here?

Once again, the Deleon has proved it's worth. I am also figuring out the DeLeon likes to be swung slow, very slow.

Happy day.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pics or it didn't happen!

(Only kidding)

I regards to your question, the VDI number is a measure of the target's level of conductivity. Gold is a great conductor, and because 18kt has a higher pure gold content then 10kt or 14kt, it will ring up higher. I would guess that 24kt would probably be closer to 99 if I had to guess. The alloys in the various karat ratings bring down the conductivity, so that's why most folks think of gold as a low number.

Now, I may be all wrong in what I just said, so I trust that if I am, someone will come along and correct me. :)

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. Kirk, that sou D's like a reasonable explanation.

I have tried to post a pic on several occasions, without success. Probably someone would have to call and walk me through the process.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI is also based on the size of the target, not solely on the metal.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First click the icon that looks like the picture...
Screenshot_20170504-140433_01.png

Then make sure you're on the "from computer" tab in the window. Then click "choose file" button and choose the picture you would like to upload...
Screenshot_20170504-140533_01.png

Then after you pick the file click "upload file(s)" but first make sure the file you picked shows up in the box where I circled red. Yellow circle is the button to hit last to upload to the reply. Then post the reply as normal
Screenshot_20170504-140940_01.png

Last edited:

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found my 5th ring of the year and my career, yesterday. It's a man's 18K, with the big stone missing.
I spent 30 min searching the dirt I pulled out and sorrounding area for the stone. No luck.

I am very puzzled. I found it with my DeLeon, and it rang up a solid 95, which is a q or d on the Deleon, and sometimes a penny.

Since its 18K, which I presume is gold, I am curious as to why it rang up a 95, instead of a lower number, such as a 60, on the VID?

In an air test last night, my gold wedding ring is a pretty solid 60. The ring I dug yesterday was again, a 95 held flat. Held on it's end, bounced between 95, 60, and 55.

Anyone like to clue me in here?

Once again, the Deleon has proved it's worth. I am also figuring out the DeLeon likes to be swung slow, very slow.

Happy day.
Congratulations ! gold is what keeps me hunting. It isn't the cruddy clad you have to clean before cashing in, it's all about the gold....

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1493935624530.jpg

Pic of ring

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find Vern congratulations and I noticed when I was young starting out swinging slow and listening to those more rounded signals will find you way more, great to here.:thumbsup:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. for the great gold find, Vern. :notworthy:

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you to all.
Having a little early success finding jewelry, kind of takes the sting out of "0" silver coins and wheaties. My day is coming, soon and very soon.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Stefan. I am not a good pupil though. I just posted a new thread of my finds since I started, but couldn't get the the pic to download. Frustrating.
Maybe I could send the pic to your phone or email, and you could add it to the thread. I guess I am technically stupid.

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where were you hunting? Great find! I've been in a gold slump so far this year...

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where were you hunting? Great find! I've been in a gold slump so far this year...

City parks. Open green spaces in the city limits with picnic tables. Baseball parks.

I never hunt on the ball fields, just around the concessions, bleachers, by fences, and parking areas.
The few city employees and police I have come in contact with, are always nice and ask a ton of questions.
I never tote a shovel in parks, just my Lesche knife.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Stefan. I am not a good pupil though. I just posted a new thread of my finds since I started, but couldn't get the the pic to download. Frustrating.
Maybe I could send the pic to your phone or email, and you could add it to the thread. I guess I am technically stupid.

May be wrong format. At the download screen it says which formats are supported. But it should be supported. Almost all image files are those formats.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did it, Stefan. Whew. Photo is not super clear, but it's there.
Thank you.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're very welcome.
Worth it to help not only just to do it but also it's nice motivation to see finds.
Ugh. Rained here nonstop for almost a week.
Looks like it'll warm up through next week so hopefully out there next weekend.
If I can steal a couple hours without rain I'll go this weekend.
Only been out once this year :-(

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you get to hunt. If it's not raining tomorrow morning, I'm going to give it a go for a couple of hours.
Good luck, Stefan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread