Can someone 'splain this?

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just watched Rob's fine DeLeon video, and was wondering: except for the targets that locked on 95, why does the target identification number jump around so much, and how do you sort through the information the number is giving you to decide whether or not to dig? Rob seems to rely more on solid target tone than TID numbers.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as the manual states it takes 5-10 passes for the co.puter to quantify the target properly.
At first it's jumpy but settles a bit.
But there are alot of things to pay attention to. The probability graphs, the Tesoro tone like others, and the numbers.
Personally I only look at the numbers at certain times.
Tome first, graph second, then if the tone is good but graph is weird, I look at the numbers.
You can have a 0 but a graph that says iron and silver. It's a small washer or small iron.

There's a bit of a learning curve but with all three you can be very successful

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Stefan. I was unaware of the 5-10 pass rule, not having a Tesoro at hand.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kinda like the confidence meter on my several Fishers I think...

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Stefan. I was unaware of the 5-10 pass rule, not having a Tesoro at hand.

Yeah right off the bat it gives live info, but once you set your swing height after finding a target (where it doesn't say lift coil or have alot of ^^^^^ ) and swing over it a couple times it settles a bit.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, while I do listen to the tones, I am very much a TIN sort of guy. Contrary to what some say, the Deleon will give you very accurate numbers. It's up to us, through hours of use, to figure it out.
If it's giving you a 95, but with squiggle lines, and a half bar, you can bet it's trash. There is always a clue .
If the numbers bounce even one time off of a 95, then 90% of the time it's trash.
While you will always dig trash, you will dig a whole lot less as time goes by.
Curiosity causes me to dig half hearted 95's. Just gotta see what's in the dang hole.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, while I do listen to the tones, I am very much a TIN sort of guy. Contrary to what some say, the Deleon will give you very accurate numbers. It's up to us, through hours of use, to figure it out.
If it's giving you a 95, but with squiggle lines, and a half bar, you can bet it's trash. There is always a clue .
If the numbers bounce even one time off of a 95, then 90% of the time it's trash.
While you will always dig trash, you will dig a whole lot less as time goes by.
Curiosity causes me to dig half hearted 95's. Just gotta see what's in the dang hole.

I can't completely agree Vern.
I have found silver rings that have full bar in silver, 95, but had a couple blips in other areas.
If you ignore targets with any other bars, you will miss all things with iron in the hole with the target.
The Deleon still does average out targets to a point.
Best bet like always, is to dig everything until you learn the detector.
Gold rings will show up in tab areas and foil areas.
So there's no real general rule. Just how you are feeling that day.
But when I thought it was trash, that one time, I dug it anyway and got a nice 925 ring.
In the end you have to learn your machine.
We can give some insight, but you have to do your own leg work.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stoof, I actually agree with you. You said it very well, better than me.

When the numbers bounce a few times, but steady at 95, I'm processing the sound pitch.
Like you said, gotta learn your machine.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's not something easily put into words or something concrete that you can tell someone exactly how to decided each target.
Just takes time and experience

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taking notes guys. Detector arrives Monday afternoon. I feel like Ed Grimley on the night before Christmas ...

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only real rule to follow:
HAVE FUN!!!

Many times in our search for the best this and the best that and bickering about what's better than the other, we often forget why we got into this hobby. To have fun.
No doubt I like finding money and gold and silver but most of it is the hunt.
It's the only way of explaining that feeling you get when you pull your first zincoln out of the ground.
Never before has a person been so happy to find a penny.

Happy hunting!!

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunter gatherers. That might explain it a little.
Been collecting arrowheads all my life, but it still excites me even when I find a broken one.

Hunter diggers. I'm one.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, I think you nailed it. I've been happy looking for agates, fossils, petrified wood, arrowheads, morel mushrooms all my life as well -- and "hunting" for trout and perch and salmon and pheasants. The joy is in the finding.
Robert Service summed it up nicely in "The Spell of the Yukon":

"There’s gold, and it’s haunting and haunting;
It’s luring me on as of old;
Yet it isn’t the gold that I’m wanting
So much as just finding the gold."

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill my man, that was an awesome post. Spot on. I live right on the Flint River, in south west Georgia, and when the river is low, I have a field day, or days. I can't dig on the banks of the river, but I do dig on my property, for points. But I'm getting kind of old to be digging large holes anymore.

Yep, from what you say, I think we have an understanding.

Hey, only two days left!! Man I am so hoping the DeLeon works well in your soil.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, if the DeLeon works well in your soil, you are going to be very surprised with every aspect of this fine machine. I predict.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more solid the signal, the less it jumps around. At least on my D. Quite often, when the signal jumps around multiple coin indications it often turns out to be a coin spill or at least more than one coin. Always worth digging to be sure.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions