Bought a Tiger Shark, have a few questions..

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks.. I bought a Tiger Shark to play with and curious as to just how badly (or well) it'll do on California beaches. I know the Sand Shark is deeper and supposedly quieter running in salty stuff, but I kind of wanted discrimination so I won't be chasing after bobby pins a foot down.

Will the Tiger be OK on wet, low-tide sand?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you are going to be disappointed. Single-freq VLF, built for freshwater. The "Salt" mode just dumbs the Sensitivity (gain) down to cope with the added conductivity. Let us know what happens. :skullflag:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Terry said, the tiger shark is a fresh water detector, not designed or built for salt water detecting. The salt mode lowers the sensitivity which means it lowers your depth tremendously.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, guys..

Well, I'll try it and if it's a stinker at the beaches I want to do, then I'll just use it at a few lakes. Planning on picking up a Sand Shark too, but got what I think was a decent price on the lightly used Tiger, so it came first.
Maybe it'll be a good foul weather detector, for when I have just to get out..

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tigershark is a very good detector but only for for fresh water, i prefer it most of the time over my Excallibur because it's simpler to use. But it's true that it's no good for salt water. It false all the time and with the salt mode switched on, you almost have no depth anymore.

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I wonder why it isn't built for saltwater since it's called the Tiger Shark. :icon_scratch:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I wonder why it isn't built for saltwater since it's called the Tiger Shark. :icon_scratch:

Tiger sharks are one of the few that can tolerate and frequent fresh water.
There are actually a few places where there are landlocked freshwater populations.
Strange but true.

Noah

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well..

..I got it today, and it's a beauty for being used. Even came with the warranty card. Supposedly only a few hours on the detector.
Seems to go fairly deep, even in disc. Just hits a 10" buried nickel in gravel and soil mixed; I'm impressed. I set it up with the belt mount bag to lighten up the swing, but guessing the 8" coil is weighted; it feels heaver than my land 8" donuts. Hoping it'll do "well enough" at my ocean beaches on the wet sand.. I'll see next week.

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice lookin machine.
Hope she works good for you.

Thanks. Me too.. Now I just have to get a decent sand scoop, then head to the beach. 'Bout a two hour drive from here, so I may just go once or twice a week.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clean! Nice purchase on the Tiger, wish you some succesful hunts with this machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread