Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, congratulations.
It was recommended to me to turn the sensitivity down intially, to learn my DeLeon. I did, running mostly between 3 - 8, and I found a ton of good stuff.
While I am now running higher sensitivity more often, even in the red, I still start my hunts at around 5. I've actually had my best luck finding quarters at around 3-4.

I wish you the best with your DeLeon. Maybe I am naive, and certainly inexperienced, but I just don't know how it could get any better. Great machine, and underestimated.
For me personally, it will be exciting to read your reports. Don't leave us hanging.
Vern

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, here is my reasoning for buying the DeLeon. The Minelab Xterra 705 I currently own is a very capable machine in the right hands, but mine are not the right hands -- it is just too sophisticated for my skill and interest level. (I have to confess right here that I barely know how to use my cell phone.) Therefore, I have high hopes that the straightforward DeLeon will be easier for me to learn to get the most out of. Sometimes less is more -- a lot more. How many times have I seen threads here about guys with good, basic machines they know intimately well digging way more quality targets than the guys with all the fiddly knobs and settings?

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, I hear what you are saying 100%. You and I are kin.
Two other metal detectors that I have purchased and quickly sold, I found them to be too time consuming to enjoy.
The Deleon is truly a turn on and go MD. So simple to adjust on the fly.
I predict you will love your Deleon.

Bill, while I really like the stock coil, I enjoy the 5.75 from Tesoro even more. When you swing the smaller coil, it's like swinging nothing almost. Really really nice when there are a lot of undesirable targets in the hunting ground. Also easier pin pointing. Smaller holes.

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Bill,

I bought a 705 for my son a few years ago.

I seldom use it, my CTX is my daily driver.

I was out with the wife last week and I could not remember how to do the auto ground balance.

I swear the CTX is easier to use.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Tesoro club Bill, hope you finds , find you with your new Deleon.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many times have I seen threads here about guys with good, basic machines they know intimately well digging way more quality targets than the guys with all the fiddly knobs and settings?

I agree considering the following for the compadre.
In mild ground it does so great it's hard to believe the price.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with the DeLeon you may dig a bit more junk but It'll find you the good stuff here's wishing you some of the rings like those in my avatar.

Regards + HH

Bill

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This detector truly is a " Lion in sheep's clothing." In my opinion.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro wll not disapoint you, i can promise you that Bill. Welcome to the club.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, I hunted in a old limesink this morning for 3 hours with the Deleon. It's a big grassy area about the size of a football field, surrounded by old oak trees.
Pulled 37 coins out, and had to quit twice and wait for the rain to stop. Got all wet and muddy. Love it.

I wanted you to know that I really didn't start to fond coins until I lowered the sensitivity to around 4. Nada in the 8 to max range. Lots of signals, but no coins. As soon as I lowered the sensitivity the coins started popping out of the ground.

Just a report yoy might like to know about. Unfortunately, it will be my last report and last hunt for approximately 6 to 8
weeks.
Hand and risk surgery tomorrow morning. The surgery is necessary after many years of playing stringed instruments. Can't take it any more.

Best of luck to you, pal.
Vern

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, sorry to hear about the surgery. I'm six weeks out from back surgery myself. Hope you can heal quickly and get back to the coin-popping with your DeLeon.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, sorry to hear about the surgery. I'm six weeks out from back surgery myself. Hope you can heal quickly and get back to the coin-popping with your DeLeon.

Hey Bill, listen pal, be very careful with your back. Very careful.
Six weeks after my back surgery almost 2 years ago, I was still using a walker and cane.
Nothing worth it for some clad.
I wish you the best.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is so much metal trash in our yard that I am having a hard time finding anything like a pure signal. That said, I found one that was "mostly good" showing very little of the iron bar, even though the numbers were jumping around from the 50s to 95. Dug a Lincoln penny at about five inches -- a 1982 D. I see the Denver mint did not switch over to the zinc sandwich until Oct. 21, 1982, so I don't mind it being just a penny. It taught me something. Onward and upward -- or, er, downward?

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the penny, Bill. More to come.

You might want to lower sensitivity to around 3, in your yard, since it's so full of undesirables.
I want to hunt so bad. This rehab is going to prove tough.
Hey, continued good luck to ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread