Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tony my apologies,

I can turn the disk down far enough on a Tejon and thumb it back up to separate or tell nails pretty accurately.The Vaquero is not as good at this as the Tejon is but you can learn to hear them pretty well with it. (The Vaquero disk will not go as low in the iron range as the Tejon does).

Read the book in the pic below by Christian Thorsten Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero metal detectors you can get it on Amazon. It will tell you more than you could want to know about the Tejon and the Vaquero detectors and how they perform in iron trash and trashy sites. How they perform in detail period, there strength and there weakness.

This is why I now only hunt with a Tejon or the Vaquero at old sites and modern sites. Both these detectors hands down in my opinion are the two best Tesoro detectors available. Even to this day both the Tejon and the Vaquero still outperform and run with the best modern digital detectors for 1/2 the cost. You just got to take the time to learn them.

I still like and prefer hands down the analog signal that the Tejon and the Vaquero detectors use compared to the digital signal that is used in new design detectors on the market today. My reasons are spelled out clearly in the book about these two great Tesoro detectors. Analog sound/signal is better and allows you to differentiate what your hearing to a much greater level in my opinion. Digital is like a video game and one dimensional.

Vaquero disk knob in pic below just as a general reference and the book you need to read if interested in the Tesoro Tejon or Vaquero detectors. Best read I have ever seen on any detectors out there.
Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Thanks, Bill. I looked on Amazon and they only have the Kindle version of the book. So I called my local library (it pays to be the library board president LOL) and they are going to see if they can find me a hard copy of it.
It looks like I'm on the fence with the Outlaw and Vaquero but slightly leaning toward the Vaquero. Wouldn't the 10.6 hz Outlaw be hotter on coins then the 14.3 hz Vaquero? Or is that difference too minute to be of any concern?

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outlaw IS better at iron rejection..

...If the Outlaw is not better in trash and Iron, because it is just more of their perception than fact. Which detector is best in iron nail infestation?..

Here's what I perceive to be fact... Outlaw is nicer to use in iron trash, 'cause it'll ignore the small iron. So... Outlaw will be "better" in iron nail infestation. If I'm dealing with nails and offered my choice of Vaquero or Outlaw... Outlaw is it.

If you need a Tesoro that's even better in iron than the Outlaw, you may have to find an old "big box" Bandido or Bandido II.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the Outlaw is presently Tesoro's best machine at rejecting small iron, though Mojave is pretty good, too. Compadre also has excellent iron rejection, but suffers in depth.

I just got back from using my Vaquero for a couple hours and it found me an old pocket knife, another couple wheat cents and a '41 Jefferson nickel. No silver today..

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
We disagree on the definition of "correctly".

I use no motion all metal for hunting. Been doing it for years on my F75. I assume most people only use all metal for pinpointing.

No motion all metal has an advantage over running discrimination. When the mineralization of the soil changes suddenly while running discrimination, the detector will sound off thinking it hit a target. In no motion all metal, the threshold changes and remains in it's new level or varies as the mineralization changes.

I can hear the difference between mineralization changes, the discrimination circuitry cannot. A lot easier for me walking an abandoned railroad rightaway in no motion all metal all afternoon instead of jumping every time the detector running discrimination tells me to dig that quarter!

I'm just learning the motion all metal auto retune stuff...

Thanks for the clarification, I got it and see your point.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't the 10.6 hz Outlaw be hotter on coins then the 14.3 hz Vaquero? Or is that difference too minute to be of any concern?

The Vaquero has the HOT circuitry = a higher transmit output. That kinda skews the logic a little.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I perceive to be fact... Outlaw is nicer to use in iron trash, 'cause it'll ignore the small iron. So... Outlaw will be "better" in iron nail infestation. If I'm dealing with nails and offered my choice of Vaquero or Outlaw... Outlaw is it.

If you need a Tesoro that's even better in iron than the Outlaw, you may have to find an old "big box" Bandido or Bandido II.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the Outlaw is presently Tesoro's best machine at rejecting small iron, though Mojave is pretty good, too. Compadre also has excellent iron rejection, but suffers in depth.

I just got back from using my Vaquero for a couple hours and it found me an old pocket knife, another couple wheat cents and a '41 Jefferson nickel. No silver today..

If you were getting the Outlaw, would you get one with the new RSD widescan coil or the round coil? Same for the Tejon, Widescan or round coil?

If I get the Outlaw I get three coils.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of hunting in trash has to do with the type of coil being used along with the machine. If I had a new to me site that I was going to be hitting for the first time and I only had Tesoro machines than the three I would take would be...

Tejon with 5 X 10 dd. (Tejon loves this coil and is a beast with it). Would use this in the less trashy areas around the perimeter. Next would be the Vaquero with the 5.75 concentric for the first pass through the trashy areas and then the Mojave with the 5.75 concentric to clean it up.
After that If I was to rake my Deus, F75 or Relic over it, they would find very little of anything I have found.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh no... not this question again! I cannot decide myself between these two. Had the Outlaw, but not long enough to really learn its capabilities, Vaquero looks good too. As I have the Golden and the Majave, I am leaning towards the Vaquero (three detectors with three different frequencies). But with the Outlaw I would stay in the 5-pin coil family, and it has that nice upper expanded disc range allowing you to disc out clad dimes and pennies and still hit silver and quarters. Tough to decide isn't it?

I have read many on this forum say that both are great detectors and you cannot lose with either choice.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you get the 3 coil Outlaw...

If you were getting the Outlaw, would you get one with the new RSD widescan coil or the round coil? Same for the Tejon, Widescan or round coil?

..you'll be set with the 3 coil package, though I can't say how well the 12x10 Widescan does; don't have that coil. The "RSD" works well in relatively clean but somewhat mineralized places. The 5.75 and 8" concentrics, are my two favorite coils though.

Whichever Tesoro you may decide on, whether Vaquero or Outlaw, will benefit greatly with a 5.75 concentric for the trashy spots. IF you do decide on an Outlaw, be sure you know about the Outlaw's "quirks".. Those "quirks" are related to properly using the red button, and with bumping the disc knob while in no-motion all-metal. Neither issue bothers me; I like the Outlaw for superior iron rejection and what I think is more accurate, or "sharper" discrimination.

If you're considering the Tejon..I think iron trash will give you fits. Tejon LOVES iron, so if you're looking for coins in iron trash... You may not want to pick a Tejon.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you're considering the Tejon..I think iron trash will give you fits. Tejon LOVES iron, so if you're looking for coins in iron trash... You may not want to pick a Tejon.

Not only does it love iron...it loves deep iron. The deeper the iron the sweeter the sound.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006

For the Tejon and the Vaquero the RSD coils are great. Also a must have coil for both these detectors is the 5.75 concentric coil.The 5.75 concentric coil performs like a champ in trash and gets fantastic depth for a smaller coil. I also really like the Tesoro brown 8" 4 pin coil on these detectors and is one of my favorite all around Tesoro coils on any of there models 4 pin or 5 pin. Another good coil is the Tesoro 5.75 Widescan coil it works in real bad mineralization a little better.

The NEL Sharpshooter elliptical 9x5 coil works nice to on the Tejon and the Vaquero and also has it's place.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tony, I live just south of you in Clinton twp near sterling heights. If you want one day we can meet up and I can bring whichever tesoros I own for you to try.
I have permission from sterling heights to hunt their parks. There's like 30.
I can give you the opportunity I never did by being able to try them!!!

P.s. if you still have a tejon I'd like to try that. It's pretty much the only modern Tesoro I don't own.... Yet. Besides the silver umax.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill G havn't seen you in a while welcome back to the forum, always like hearing what you have to say.

As far as the Vaquero and Outlaw, in your homestead for silver and smoother operation the Outlaw with the 3 coil package here but if you have higher mineralization the 7" widescan wouldn't be a bad idea..then as you are going to take a bit of a coil hit on a smaller coil option on the 5 pin offerings. Vaquero you have lil more adjustments to concern yourself with more at higher freq but better coil selection in higher mineralization if required, you have a bit, I repeat only a bit of a disadvantage over the Tesoro coil selection offerings with the 5pin "i" think, next to the Vaquero that we are talking about.

If I were you I would buy the Vaquero RSD, and Compadre 5.75 option as a go to machine and look for a used Outlaw if you need later only with the stock? That way you have two detectors.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh Bill G has it on his last post on the coils I believe here, very nice pics Bill:icon_thumright:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the best way to decide..

Hey tony, I live just south of you in Clinton twp near sterling heights. If you want one day we can meet up and I can bring whichever tesoros I own for you to try.
I have permission from sterling heights to hunt their parks. There's like 30.
I can give you the opportunity I never did by being able to try them!!!

P.s. if you still have a tejon I'd like to try that. It's pretty much the only modern Tesoro I don't own.... Yet. Besides the silver umax.

Stefan, that's cool of you to offer, and really the best way for anyone to pick the detector that'll work best. Too bad we don't have local dealers with demos / rentals we could take for a day or two.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Bill. I looked on Amazon and they only have the Kindle version of the book. So I called my local library (it pays to be the library board president LOL) and they are going to see if they can find me a hard copy of it.
It looks like I'm on the fence with the Outlaw and Vaquero but slightly leaning toward the Vaquero. Wouldn't the 10.6 hz Outlaw be hotter on coins then the 14.3 hz Vaquero? Or is that difference too minute to be of any concern?

I thought this was only through the Kindle version not print thought I point that out if nobody already didn't

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a thought after reading more of these posts, realize you have a Tejon so maybe a good idea stay 4pin here, if your Tejon you don't have a 5.75 con that would be the option coil in trashy areas even if you have mineralization you got the 11x8 RSD on Vaq and Tejon already to take care of this. The Compadre I mentioned for a go to machine not a bad idea at 5.75 rather then 8 (Only if you don't consider the 4pin Outlaw 8" stock). Hope you take Stefan up on his advise in any case.

Last edited:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Oh Bill G has it on his last post on the coils I believe here, very nice pics Bill:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the kind words in your postings. I have been super busy in life this year not much detecting lately a lot of work and life things.

I agree for the Outlaw the 7" Widescan coil is a great choice it works well in mineralized soil and also is very effective in mild soil (separates targets well to) also in my opinion is a cool sized coil. The Outlaw does love concentric coils and really dose well with the white 8" donut concentric 5 pin coil. The 5.75 - 5 pin works great in trash but loses some depth but makes up for it in its separation capabilities.

The Vaquero and Tejon both work great with all the coils I listed. The kicker is most guys look over the brown 4 pin 8" donut coil for the Vaquero and the Tejon. The 8" brown donut coil is a great over all coil with more ground coverage than the 5.75" coil but still separates surprisingly well.

The RSD coils are great and were long overdue as an offering by Tesoro (superb coils on the Vaguero & Tejon). The RSD coils are light and work very well in all inviroments but still like most DD/Widescan type coils discriminate less effectively on metal bottle caps, nature of the beast.

One thing about Tesoro detectors is they all work great with concentric coils even in bad more mineralized ground. You would be surprised how well the 5.75 concentric works across the board on the Vaquero and the Tejon. With these two detectors being 4 pin hot circuitry the 5.75" coils just gets great depth for there size, really good depth with fantastic separation.

On another note I have not ever tried a RSD coil on an Outlaw or a 5 pin design detector. Folks say they work well on these detectors to. As said long overdue coil design from Tesoro for there detectors.

Take Care And Happy Hunting My Friend,
Bill G

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, you to Bill all the best, and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread