Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume Tony already has a Tejon, it's in his profile.

I used to have a Tejon. Sold it years ago.
I do have an old Bandido, not umax. I pulled it out of my coil box yesterday and assembled it. It has a strange 10 turn ground adjust knob but I never know when the 10th turn is as it just turns and turns.
They say in the manual that you can feel a very slight something when you get to the 10th turn.

This is in their instruction manual for the Bandido:
GROUND ADJUST CONTROL. This control adjusts the All Metal mode sampling so that the Bandido ignores
the normal ground mineralization. This control is a ten turn device, and it is sometimes difficult to feel when
the end of the turn range is reached. The setting of this control is the most critical adjustment to do, but it
is a very simple adjustment to make. Study the manual section on TUNING to be sure you learn how to properly adjust this control.

I remember years ago trying to set it up and never used it since then. I'll have to see if I can get it working. I bought it used real cheap.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey tony, I live just south of you in Clinton twp near sterling heights. If you want one day we can meet up and I can bring whichever tesoros I own for you to try.
I have permission from sterling heights to hunt their parks. There's like 30.
I can give you the opportunity I never did by being able to try them!!!

P.s. if you still have a tejon I'd like to try that. It's pretty much the only modern Tesoro I don't own.... Yet. Besides the silver umax.

That would be great to get out and detect with you. Are you doing any detecting this weekend? Maybe we could meet up?
I sold my Tejon years ago.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a Tejon. Sold it years ago.
I do have an old Bandido, not umax. I pulled it out of my coil box yesterday and assembled it. It has a strange 10 turn ground adjust knob but I never know when the 10th turn is as it just turns and turns.
They say in the manual that you can feel a very slight something when you get to the 10th turn.

This is in their instruction manual for the Bandido:
GROUND ADJUST CONTROL. This control adjusts the All Metal mode sampling so that the Bandido ignores
the normal ground mineralization. This control is a ten turn device, and it is sometimes difficult to feel when
the end of the turn range is reached. The setting of this control is the most critical adjustment to do, but it
is a very simple adjustment to make. Study the manual section on TUNING to be sure you learn how to properly adjust this control.

I remember years ago trying to set it up and never used it since then. I'll have to see if I can get it working. I bought it used real cheap.

Dont bring the Bandido with you to see Stefan, he'll take it away from you! He's got that Tesoro disease like a lot of us.

Seriously, bring the Bandido and Stefan can check it out for you and make sure the ground balance is working, show you easily how to ground balance it. Ground balance is critical in the sense if you get it too wrong, the detector will be horrible to the point you think it's broke. Could be the reason the Cibola came out with the Vaquero, it's ground balance is preset at a good guess for most areas of the country, I like mine.

You may not need a new detector, the Bandido even if it's not the last model, is a nice machine.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont bring the Bandido with you to see Stefan, he'll take it away from you! He's got that Tesoro disease like a lot of us.

Seriously, bring the Bandido and Stefan can check it out for you and make sure the ground balance is working, show you easily how to ground balance it. Ground balance is critical in the sense if you get it too wrong, the detector will be horrible to the point you think it's broke. Could be the reason the Cibola came out with the Vaquero, it's ground balance is preset at a good guess for most areas of the country, I like mine.

You may not need a new detector, the Bandido even if it's not the last model, is a nice machine.
Thank for the info. Maybe if I bring the Bandido, I can chain it to my wrist with a lock so Stefan can't take it. :-)

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw this 4 way shootout with four different detectors one of them I think is the Vaquero.
It is here:

The guy doesn't think the Tesoro can keep up with the pack but blows the other three out of the water.
The guy kind of sounds like Jesse Ventura.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"In disc mode", my Vaquero can identify a silver quarter deeper than my F75 latest DSP whizbang running disc.

The F75 in all metal is deeper than the Vaquero all metal.

Btw, most newer models of Tesoros, the sensitivity control has no affect on all metal sensitivity, it's preset at factory. (one of my useless complaints)

I think Stefan has 12 Vaqueros and 4 Cibolas, he probably wouldn't miss one if you hid one....
:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20170526_075640_HDR-1.gif
My Bandido.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"In disc mode", my Vaquero can identify a silver quarter deeper than my F75 latest DSP whizbang running disc.

Btw, most newer models of Tesoros, the sensitivity control has no affect on all metal sensitivity, it's preset at factory. (one of my useless complaints)

I think Stefan has 12 Vaqueros and 4 Cibolas, he probably wouldn't miss one if you hid one....

12 Vaqueros? Wow! He could hunt with one in each hand. LOL

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 Vaqueros? Wow! He could hunt with one in each hand. LOL

I don't know about Stefan, but I have way too many detectors. I have three Compadres and two Vaqueros, only one of each of others...lol

edit:Was looking at past ebay transactions, two Bandidos like yours went for $200 and $225. At that price, it tells me it's a model in demand, Stefan can bring his coil collection too, I bet with the 11x8 you can hit that 8" quarter in an air test.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

THERE is your machine for use in iron nails and other trash! Put a 5.75 coil on it, and if you need more depth, there's always the Vaquero to consider.

Adjusting a 10 turn GB is the same as a 3¾ turn, only it can be set even closer to "spot on".

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THERE is your machine for use in iron nails and other trash! Put a 5.75 coil on it, and if you need more depth, there's always the Vaquero to consider.

Adjusting a 10 turn GB is the same as a 3¾ turn, only it can be set even closer to "spot on".

Hey, pinenut, I sent away for a used, couple weeks old Vaquero from one of the board members here who is giving me
a great deal on it and itwill have two coils. One coil will be the 5.75 CONCENTRIC and the other the new 11x9 DD coil. It's the black model Vaquero.
After work, I'll throw in some Lithium 9v's into the Bandido and try to get her sweet talking to me. it has the 8" concentric.

Which brings me to another point. Why can't they make a detector for men that has the voice of Marilyn Monroe and when you hit a silver she says, in
a realy sexy voice, "Oh baby, why don't you dig that nice silver coin for me?" :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this 4 way shootout with four different detectors one of them I think is the Vaquero.
It is here:

The guy doesn't think the Tesoro can keep up with the pack but blows the other three out of the water.
The guy kind of sounds like Jesse Ventura.

Yeah he's awesome. He also tests many in his test bed and scored them. The tejon still has highest marks. The Deleon surprised me to point. I knew it was great but didn't consider it great at depth but also never tested it. Surprised him too.
He's the guy that made the nokta fors core videos that helped me decided on my relic for my "fancy" detector selection.
He has said the vaquero is his favorite Tesoro.
I liked watching all of them. He has a nice test bed and has tested many.
His recovery video on the fors core was impressive for a digital machine and how fast the recovery is.

He also does a direct comparison between the vaquero and the tejon. :-)

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hahahahahahahaha

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ran my Bandido after work. Didn't find anything worth anything.

Question: I have R.A.T. headphones with left and right ear volume adjust knobs. I plugged them into the detector and couldn't hear anything. I plugged my KOSS headphones that don't have volume controls and
the detector nearly blew my ears out. The Bandido doesn't have a volume control. I wonder why my R.A.T.'s will work on all my other detectors but not the Bandido?

I sure hope my R.A.T.'s work on the Vaquero I'm getting. I don't think the Vaq has a volume knob anywhere on it. If the R.A.T.'s won't work and I need volume control, what should I do?

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about Stefan, but I have way too many detectors. I have three Compadres and two Vaqueros, only one of each of others...lol

edit:Was looking at past ebay transactions, two Bandidos like yours went for $200 and $225. At that price, it tells me it's a model in demand, Stefan can bring his coil collection too, I bet with the 11x8 you can hit that 8" quarter in an air test.

Steve the 11x8 is one of the few 5 pins I don't have haha
But I can bring the 12x10!!!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran my Bandido after work. Didn't find anything worth anything.

Question: I have R.A.T. headphones with left and right ear volume adjust knobs. I plugged them into the detector and couldn't hear anything. I plugged my KOSS headphones that don't have volume controls and
the detector nearly blew my ears out. The Bandido doesn't have a volume control. I wonder why my R.A.T.'s will work on all my other detectors but not the Bandido?

I sure hope my R.A.T.'s work on the Vaquero I'm getting. I don't think the Vaq has a volume knob anywhere on it. If the R.A.T.'s won't work and I need volume control, what should I do?

It has to do with a mono/stereo issue.
On my killer B's there's a switch for switching from mono to stereo so maybe that's why. Not sure
Edit: this weekend I'll try them with the Tesoro and flip the switch. I'm sure I've tried it but can't remember for the life of me. My Garrett cheap headphones have a stereo mono switch too I can try.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve the 11x8 is one of the few 5 pins I don't have haha
But I can bring the 12x10!!!

Lol
I couldnt keep up. I was going to order a 5.75 concentric for my Vaquero today. Did a search of emails, discovered I already have one I bought last month.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned most of the Tesoro models at some some point.....By the way, Never owned a Tesoro I really disliked. Of the two mentioned I preferred the Vaq over the outlaw. The Vaq goes really deep when super tuned but you WILL dig some rusty iron. Don't care for the retune set up on the Outlaw and did haveproblems with the button after about a year. Outlaw is probably a little less noisy in heavy iron trash. But if I were you I would strongly consider the Tejon....It is my favorite by far. Takes a little more time to master than the others but is the far superior machine. I have had two of them and the newer black model I currently have with the 11x8 DD coil seems much more powerful than the older one with the 9x8. Could just be the coils, I am not sure. But for heavy iron hunting that you speak of the Tejon with the 5.75 concentric is just the machine for the job. Just remember to not get carried away with your sense setting, the Tejon is not lacking on power as far as VLF detectors go and 7or8 on sense is plenty for most hunting. Another key to getting great performance from the Tejon is to GB it often. In less trashy areas I may GB it every 20 feet or so.....after some use you will know when your GB is starting to vary....the Tejon will tell you. The trigger switch alone is worth the money over the Vaquero to me. The trigger switch has many uses once you begin to really get a feel for the Tejon. Best machine Tesoro has ever made and they have made some great ones over the years. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread