Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You folks who use headphones on your Tesoros, I imagine you have to purchase ones with volume control on the headphone? What is a good set for the Vaquero. Why doesn't Tesoro put a volume on their detector for the headphones?

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned most of the Tesoro models at some some point.....By the way, Never owned a Tesoro I really disliked. Of the two mentioned I preferred the Vaq over the outlaw. The Vaq goes really deep when super tuned but you WILL dig some rusty iron. Don't care for the retune set up on the Outlaw and did haveproblems with the button after about a year. Outlaw is probably a little less noisy in heavy iron trash. But if I were you I would strongly consider the Tejon....It is my favorite by far. Takes a little more time to master than the others but is the far superior machine. I have had two of them and the newer black model I currently have with the 11x8 DD coil seems much more powerful than the older one with the 9x8. Could just be the coils, I am not sure. But for heavy iron hunting that you speak of the Tejon with the 5.75 concentric is just the machine for the job. Just remember to not get carried away with your sense setting, the Tejon is not lacking on power as far as VLF detectors go and 7or8 on sense is plenty for most hunting. Another key to getting great performance from the Tejon is to GB it often. In less trashy areas I may GB it every 20 feet or so.....after some use you will know when your GB is starting to vary....the Tejon will tell you. The trigger switch alone is worth the money over the Vaquero to me. The trigger switch has many uses once you begin to really get a feel for the Tejon. Best machine Tesoro has ever made and they have made some great ones over the years. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Thanks DiggerinVA, I used to have a Tejon. It was a great detector. I wish I never sold it. Maybe in the future I'll pick another one up. I don't really care for auto retune. I imagine the Outlaw can't be super tuned due to the auto retune?

I'm really stoked about getting a Vaquero. Love the Tesoros but have devoted so much of my time to my Minelabs . . . .
I will say this, when I have my Tejon, I hit a fifty center that had to be below 12 feet. No, make that 12 inches. The Tejon was like it was a couple inches down. I guess sold it because I needed the money. Bad decision! :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned most of the Tesoro models at some some point.....By the way, Never owned a Tesoro I really disliked. Of the two mentioned I preferred the Vaq over the outlaw. The Vaq goes really deep when super tuned but you WILL dig some rusty iron. Don't care for the retune set up on the Outlaw and did haveproblems with the button after about a year. Outlaw is probably a little less noisy in heavy iron trash. But if I were you I would strongly consider the Tejon....It is my favorite by far. Takes a little more time to master than the others but is the far superior machine. I have had two of them and the newer black model I currently have with the 11x8 DD coil seems much more powerful than the older one with the 9x8. Could just be the coils, I am not sure. But for heavy iron hunting that you speak of the Tejon with the 5.75 concentric is just the machine for the job. Just remember to not get carried away with your sense setting, the Tejon is not lacking on power as far as VLF detectors go and 7or8 on sense is plenty for most hunting. Another key to getting great performance from the Tejon is to GB it often. In less trashy areas I may GB it every 20 feet or so.....after some use you will know when your GB is starting to vary....the Tejon will tell you. The trigger switch alone is worth the money over the Vaquero to me. The trigger switch has many uses once you begin to really get a feel for the Tejon. Best machine Tesoro has ever made and they have made some great ones over the years. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Thanks DiggerinVA, I used to have a Tejon. It was a great detector. I wish I never sold it. Maybe in the future I'll pick another one up. I don't really care for auto retune. I imagine one can't be super tuned due to the auto retune?

I'm really stoked about getting a Vaquero. Love the Tesoros but have devoted so much of my time to my Minelabs . . . .
I will say this, when I have my Tejon, I hit a fifty center that had to be below 12 feet. No, make that 12 inches. The Tejon was like it was a couple inches down. I guess sold it because I needed the money. Bad decision! :icon_scratch:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks who use headphones on your Tesoros, I imagine you have to purchase ones with volume control on the headphone? What is a good set for the Vaquero. Why doesn't Tesoro put a volume on their detector for the headphones?

KillerB's are great headphones for Tesoros.
Crisp clear tones and a great warrantee.

Noah

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
KillerB's are great headphones for Tesoros.
Crisp clear tones and a great warrantee.

Noah

I use to think the the same thing until I tried the Whites Pro Star 100 ohm headphones life time warranty as well. They blow the Killer Bee's away in sound and have fuller range of sound to them without the tinny high pitched sound of the Killer Bees. You don't realize this until you try a headphone like the Whites Pro Star with a wide range speaker. Don't get me wrong the Whites Pro Stars are still sharp and crisp but not tinny sounding.

The fuller sound or wider range of the special 100 ohm speakers by design of the Whites Pro Star headphones allow me to hear much better the targets nuances with the Tesoro analog signal. They work great on the Tejon and the Vaquero better than any headphone to date that I have used.

Everyone thinks 150ohm speakers are better that is not really the case.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use to think the the same thing until I tried the Whites Pro Star 100 ohm headphones life time warranty as well. They blow the Killer Bee's away in sound and have fuller range of sound to them without the tinny high pitched sound of the Killer Bees. You don't realize this until you try a headphone like the Whites Pro Star with a wide range speaker. Don't get me wrong the Whites Pro Stars are still sharp and crisp but not tinny sounding.

The fuller sound or wider range of the special 100 ohm speakers by design of the Whites Pro Star headphones allow me to hear much better the targets nuances with the Tesoro analog signal. They work great on the Tejon and the Vaquero better than any headphone to date that I have used.

Everyone thinks 150ohm speakers are better that is not really the case.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Is there a sponsor here that sells them?
Ebay has them starting out at 69.95 all the way up to $179.93.
Someone is robbing people selling them for almost $180.00!

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Is there a sponsor here that sells them?
Ebay has them starting out at 69.95 all the way up to $179.93.
Someone is robbing people selling them for almost $180.00!

I don't know about a sponsor specifically you may want to check.

I got mine on Amazon on sale for $89.95 regular price $99.95. In order for the lifetime warranty to apply they have to be purchased from a White's certified vender. White's like Tesoro take care of there customers when it comes to warranty issues.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used the Whites phones, but I love the Gray Ghost phones....so much I have 3 sets! Use them with all my machines....

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Never used the Whites phones, but I love the Gray Ghost phones....so much I have 3 sets! Use them with all my machines....

I have two two pair of the Detector Pro brand Gray Ghost headphones with the newer style speakers they started useing several years back (before that years back Detector Pro used a speaker simular to the Killer Bee headphones). I do prefer and really like the tone of the newer speaker in the later model Gray Ghost headphone and they are a very close second for me to the White's Pro Star headphones in sound.

If your speaker face on your Gray Ghost is flat chrome looking with small holes in it you have there newer style speaker. SEE PIC BELOW of the newer speaker face in the newer model Gray Ghost headphones I have.

The White's Pro Star headphones have better ear muffs and much superior volume knobs over the Gray Ghost headphones with more precise intents. This gives a more precise volume control which I like over my Gray Ghost headphones. Also to me the White's Pro Star headphones have just a hair better sound quality by a small margin. I do carry my Gray Ghost to serve as backup headphones now.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 64

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V blows my ears, I want to kill something after using it. Quack quack quack.
The Outlaw is the bomb.
REALLY you can't go wrong with either of them.
They are like Scotch and cigars.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The V blows my ears, I want to kill something after using it. Quack quack quack.
The Outlaw is the bomb.
REALLY you can't go wrong with either of them.
They are like Scotch and cigars.

I think of something an old man told me about women when I was a teenager: "They're all good, but some are just better."

That's how I feel about Tesoros.

BTW- the high-tone Vaquero sounds more pleasant. It only quacks in all-metal.

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I think of something an old man told me about women when I was a teenager: "They're all good, but some are just better."

That's how I feel about Tesoros.

BTW- the high-tone Vaquero sounds more pleasant. It only quacks in all-metal.

I disagree with all do respect. I personally like the standard tone and find it more pleasant (I have owned both). It is nice to have choices.:icon_thumleft:

On another note,

It is kinda funny how guys talk about chatter or say the Vaquero detector quacks. What do guys exspect from H.O.T. Circuitry detectors? That is the price we pay for the extra power or depth capabilities. The Vaquero can be mellow if the chatter gets to you. Turn it down a little guys it will still get good depth and be simular in performance to other non H.O.T. Circuitry Tesoro detectors.

Happy Hunting, :tongue3:
Bill G

Last edited:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I perceive to be fact... Outlaw is nicer to use in iron trash, 'cause it'll ignore the small iron. So... Outlaw will be "better" in iron nail infestation. If I'm dealing with nails and offered my choice of Vaquero or Outlaw... Outlaw is it.

If you need a Tesoro that's even better in iron than the Outlaw, you may have to find an old "big box" Bandido or Bandido II.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the Outlaw is presently Tesoro's best machine at rejecting small iron, though Mojave is pretty good, too. Compadre also has excellent iron rejection, but suffers in depth.

I just got back from using my Vaquero for a couple hours and it found me an old pocket knife, another couple wheat cents and a '41 Jefferson nickel. No silver today..

Youre right Pinenut, my "big box" Bandido II is my best detector for iron infestation-trash areas. I have a Fisher Goldbug Pro and Teknetics 8000 both with 5" coil but they are blown away by this 23 year old detector.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always heard that the big box Bandido 2's were awesome in iron, but have never owned one. I did do a test one time when I owned about 10 or 12 great detectors. I used two small and two medium sized rusty, bent square nails to "box in" a indian head penny ....the Tejon with the 5.75 concentric coil was the only detector that could see the coin in 2 directions 90 degrees from each other. Some of the other machines I had at the time were: Compadre, Bandido 2 Umax, Vaquero, AT pro, AT gold, F75, CZ-3d, Sovereign GT, Explorer SE.....mAYBE a few others, but they would either not see the coin at all or only in one direction. I am very curious as to if the new Mojave would see the coin....

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always heard that the big box Bandido 2's were awesome in iron, but have never owned one. I did do a test one time when I owned about 10 or 12 great detectors. I used two small and two medium sized rusty, bent square nails to "box in" a indian head penny ....the Tejon with the 5.75 concentric coil was the only detector that could see the coin in 2 directions 90 degrees from each other....

How well does that same test work with a nickel? I have two Tejons, one bought new (black one), and neither is capable of fully disc'ing out steel bottlecaps before also disc'ing out nickels. That's with a 5.75 concentric, BTW.
Tejon will have nickels gone yet some bottle caps sounding scratchy, but still like viable targets.
I think Tejon's disc range is better suited to sorting iron size and actually digging iron, rather than ignoring it.

I don't have too many nails where I hunt, but bottlecaps are one of my trash problems (and melted aluminum, bullet shells and lead..and pulltabs..).

With the Bandido (or Outlaw), bottlecaps are pretty much gone or just click, but nickels will still hit well. I know that neither Bandido nor Outlaw can get the depth of Vaquero or Tejon, but I think their disc circuit is better suited to coin hunting. I want those nickels..haven't dug up a "buff" yet. Maybe the answer is to use the deeper detector and dig it all..

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had a Bandido II umax, but if I only had one detector today and it was this ElDorado umax, Id be happy even knowing the others I gave up.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How well does that same test work with a nickel? I have two Tejons, one bought new (black one), and neither is capable of fully disc'ing out steel bottlecaps before also disc'ing out nickels. That's with a 5.75 concentric, BTW.
Tejon will have nickels gone yet some bottle caps sounding scratchy, but still like viable targets.
I think Tejon's disc range is better suited to sorting iron size and actually digging iron, rather than ignoring it.

I don't have too many nails where I hunt, but bottlecaps are one of my trash problems (and melted aluminum, bullet shells and lead..and pulltabs..).

With the Bandido (or Outlaw), bottlecaps are pretty much gone or just click, but nickels will still hit well. I know that neither Bandido nor Outlaw can get the depth of Vaquero or Tejon, but I think their disc circuit is better suited to coin hunting. I want those nickels..haven't dug up a "buff" yet. Maybe the answer is to use the deeper detector and dig it all..

Iff you want the Tejon to run completely quiet in the nails you might lose the nickels....but if you set disc to just accept nickels and up, you will probably just dig the larger iron....like the big square nails, spikes, etc. The sites I am referring to are 150-200 year old sites and aluminum or bottlecaps are not a problem. Where they are a problem the Eldorado Umax or Bandido 2 Umax may be the better choice....

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..The sites I am referring to are 150-200 year old sites and aluminum or bottlecaps are not a problem. Where they are a problem the Eldorado Umax or Bandido 2 Umax may be the better choice....

I need to find some of those sites..! :occasion14:

I usually hunt around mountain campgrounds and they're loaded with garbage. Bandido with the 5.75 (and a couple other Tesoros) does the trick.
Glad I have a Tejon though; I'm ready for those 200 year old sites. If only I could find 'em.. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions