Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Even though I own a Compadre I got one of these hoping for the same hyper sensitivity, the same great unmasking ability in and around iron because I have a lot if it here, plus a little more depth doing it all.
I think I got what I wished for on all of it just going by the results if my first few hunts.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/541660-so-happened-my-new-mojave-silver.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/541751-cool-token-lot-history.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/541959-found-wheat-mojave.html

Also one cherry picking with max disc...
A big fat liar!...plus another greenie with the Mojave - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

So far I have not needed to change the mineralization switch off of low to high and it seems quiet.

Most of my older targets around here tend to be about the 4-6" range with a few rare exceptions.
My dirt is pretty rough with the red oxide clay that ranges from all the way up to the surface and starting an inch or two down under some black stuff.
Even in areas with just black dirt it is still mineralized, in great soil in Kansas using my F70 I usually GB'd in the mid 40's to mid 50's with rarely even one bar on the dirt meter.
To compare here most areas are a minimum of mid 60's and can get up to the high 70's to low 80's with the dirt bars most of the time settling on two but frequently up to maxed out three.
In areas with the better black stuff is in the mid to high 60's up into the 70's with multiple dirt bars.

In Kansas I could easily get up to the 6-7" area with the Compadre, here using it for over 6 years I don't remember ever getting much past 3" on any target and I have dug thousands.
Might be a tiny bit more in wet soil but that was rare and never more than an extra inch...maybe.

My Mojave seems to be living at a little deeper level around here, have gone past 4" several times in desert dry dirt and up to about the 6" area so far on coins...might go deeper than that but that is just where the deeper targets happened to be.
This is exactly what I hoped it would do.

Even on max disc the Mojave does not seem to lose any depth at all, my Compadre does... just a little but it does lose depth as the discrimination is raised.

Can't get as deep as my Fisher in the bad stuff but deep enough and can unmask extremely well to find the good treasure so I am a happy camper, what I hoped it would be and do seems to be coming true.
Love it when a plan comes together.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my soil here in southwest Colorado it ranges from 2 to 4 bars on the FE meter on the F75. Regularly GB in the upper 80s to low 90s. I have to run the Mojave with the mineralization switch on high all the time. I hit a 6 in deep IH shortly after getting it in an area I had pounded with multiple high end machines and Tesoros previosly. Like Digger 27 said it seems to retain it's depth even with higher disc levels where the compadre loses depth quite a bit the more you raise it.

big papa

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yesterday i found a wheat cent in my yard at a measured 7 inches on edge and i used every make and model here.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger 27, I didn't realize you ventured away from your f70! That's neat though, and I respect someone trying different brands. I feel there is a detector for every different scenario.

Big papa, 7 inches on edge is nothing to sneeze at imo....ESPECIALLY for a 250 dollar power up and go machine!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see some dealers have the Mojave coil in stock.....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Digger 27, I didn't realize you ventured away from your f70! That's neat though, and I respect someone trying different brands. I feel there is a detector for every different scenario.

Big papa, 7 inches on edge is nothing to sneeze at imo....ESPECIALLY for a 250 dollar power up and go machine!

I have been using two completely different brands together almost since I started, I couldn't imagine enjoying the hobby any other way.
A Vaq for many, many hundreds of hours, and a Compadre for probably more over the years, got into the F2 and found out I have an affinity for this brand...I just click with it so I tend to use them more.
Still pull out my Tesoros from time to time for fun and just for a change and that will never end.
I learned that language pretty darn well, too, I have always said learning to hunt with audio only detectors can make anyone a better hunter even if you prefer to use units that also have screens.
Traded my Vaq away recently for the Mojave, in my soil I just wasn't having the most fun with it anymore and the F70 here gets me deeper or at least with a little better ID's deep so it went to someone that will love and use it again in much better dirt.
Plus I was curious to see if the Mojave could work a bit better in my area and maybe get deeper and it seems to be doing just that.

Still got my Compadre, don't know yet what I am going to do with it but we had some great times together and it was the inspiration for a fun little thread I wrote up about it just as a lark but took off and coined a phrase plus started a movement a few years ago back in Sept 2011 which you might have heard of...the "Church of the Compadre."

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My next step is to send mine to Rusty, buy a 11" x 8" widescan from him, and have him tune it at the factory.:skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread