Mojave vs Cibola?

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Cibola and Vaquero at the same time years ago and the Cibola just didn't get the depth in my soil that the Vaq could. From what I remember I would say in my soil the un modded cibola had about the same depth as my Mojave currently gets. I prefer the 12 khz over the 14 of the Cibola also. That and the Mojave is just a monster at un masking in heavy trash with the 5.75 concentric coil.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the Mojave will give you one major benefit and that's the ground switch. In bad soil your cibola may not run well at all being factory set while the Mojave can flip to high and still run well.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the Mojave will give you one major benefit and that's the ground switch. In bad soil your cibola may not run well at all being factory set while the Mojave can flip to high and still run well.

True that. But would the Cibola run you better GB with it's 14 KHz vs the Mojave high mineralization setting along with it's 12 KHz over the soils you are scanning over when comparing it to the Mojave low minerillation over iron laden infested sites when trying to pick up say the silver or gold when comparing with the Mojave? Looking for the 6-7" Wheaties with the Mojave I think you have an advantage..and still get you the depth from the Mojave 7" coil vs the Cibola 5.75 to boot here....remember 9x8 vs 11x8 I think when we are comparing apples to apples for the Mo vs the Cib I realize the Mojave may have an advantage over the the high mineralization over the Cibola GB comparison 12KHz vs 14 KHz, but lets put it to the test.. I think the Cibola has a depth advantage if that makes sense with better tuning capabilities vs the Mojave here when putting 11x8 RSD to the test or even the 9x8 but not sure if some one want's to post the 5.75 vs the 7" comparisons...I would love to see these posted this would be a great test, Hey what about the Sivler 8" donut vs the Mojave 7" let's see.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both.

Generally speaking, the Cibola is a beast compared to the Mojave in depth.

The Cibola will hit quarters at a foot, the Mojave maybe 7 or eight inches.

Now there may be more important reasons you may like the Mojave, but depth will not be one of them.

The Cibola has the HOT higher transmit output with Delta coils while the Mojave is nothing more than a new five pin Epsilon, some think it is an older 7" Compadre looking at pictures of internals. (The older 7" Compadre has an extra IC compared to newer Compadres)

Not to talk you out of it, but if loss of depth catches your attention, the Mojave will. I prefer my Silver uMax.....

To me the Mojave is a 6-8" coinshooter. I go relic hunting with my Cibola and Silver umax.

Fwiw I see the Mojave 7" coil is in stock at dealers now.

Last edited:

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both.

Generally speaking, the Cibola is a beast compared to the Mojave in depth.

The Cibola will hit quarters at a foot, the Mojave maybe 7 or eight inches.

Now there may be more important reasons you may like the Mojave, but depth will not be one of them.

The Cibola has the HOT higher transmit output with Delta coils while the Mojave is nothing more than a new five pin Epsilon, some think it is an older 7" Compadre looking at pictures of internals. (The older 7" Compadre has an extra IC compared to newer Compadres)

Not to talk you out of it, but if loss of depth catches your attention, the Mojave will. I prefer my Silver uMax.....

To me the Mojave is a 6-8" coinshooter. I go relic hunting with my Cibola and Silver umax.

Fwiw I see the Mojave 7" coil is in stock at dealers now.

Hey steve1357, is there any difference between coils with the name CONCENTRIC on them and doughnut coils for Tesoro? From what I can tell there is none.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey steve1357, is there any difference between coils with the name CONCENTRIC on them and doughnut coils for Tesoro?

If I understand your question, what operators call the 8" doughnut coil, is a concentric, it is not a widescan-DD coil. In fact, on the Tesoro website, the 8" round is called the " 8" round concentric" while the 9x8 is just called the "concentric".

I have a 8" doughnut and a 9x8 concentric, both are very close on depth, but nothing to write home about. Being a skeleton coil, the 9x8 is a little lighter. Some think the 8" round is better due to the placement of the two windings. I wouldn't waste money buying the other if I only had one. My Silver came with the 8", and the Eldorado I picked up has a newer 9x8 on it.

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking what Steve said....the Hotter Delta circuitry would probably be deeper. I have no use for another Cibola as i have and love my Tejon, but a Mojave might be nice for yard hunting.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.
If I wasn't me with all the machines and starting over, I probably wouldn't buy as many as I did. But now that I have them I'll never let them go.
But the Mojave is kind of what the compadre is, a cheaper machine with great performance. Not meant to go up against the big dogs but will definitely surprise many with how well it does.
I think it would be more of a couple.pliment to the tejon you have. For simpler days when you aren't planning on digging to China haha.
Can't really go wrong with it and with that ground switch, it edges out most all turn on and go machines in bad soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread