Cherry picking with the Mojave...

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Still sorting out my feelings for this thing.
I have used a Compadre for probably thousands of hours, used a Vaq for somewhere north of 1000 hours too and nothing in stone but starting to sense a few things.
I have been hunting some areas where I used my other Tesoros a lot, a couple of other detectors too and many different coils, nothing 100% scientific but but pretty close to little laboratories in both wet and dry conditions.
Some say this thing is just another epsilon unit, no more than a Compadre with the added sense and mineralization switch...not sure this is exactly true.
The Vaq is a delta with the hot technology, deeper overall and this is not exactly that kind either.
So far I feel it is some weird little combination of both, hyper sensitivity of the Compadre with more depth like the Vaq even in my pretty rough soil.
I can't really explain finding some great targets so easily that were masked, hidden and might have been on edge in areas I have scoured so many times before with others.
All I know is I seem to be finding stuff and having a lot of fun doing it.

Again in some very well hunted areas by me and probably scores of others I mostly turned up the disc on the Mojave just to see what would pop up.
More than I thought.

Turned it down a few times here and there, those bullets, one zincoln and that head stamp were the results, the bullets and the head stamp were fairly deep.

Also came across this "Monster" truck...tiny thing and covered in mud after some much needed rain, thought it was just junk till I cleaned it up a bit and realized what it was.

Also dug some junk, not shown, most of it was jumpy and didn't come in solid but I am still feeling this thing out so that is fine.
One thing I found out which I suspected was true but now I know for sure is just like my F70 this thing up-averages around iron, or at least in my dirt it does.
Not sure how I feel about this yet, don't exactly know what depth it starts to do this either but deeper ones at about 4" or more I think.
I had plenty of beaver tail tabs in my trash pouch that just didn't disc out at all...every one repeated and sounded pretty solid.
That truck did it too, didn't disc out but out of the ground it does as a zinc signal.
Don't remember my Compadre doing this at all, then again I seem to be getting deeper with this one than the Compadre so ya gotta take the bad with the good.

I think maybe...maybe, the better targets have a little sharper ends on the tone, those tabs and other junk maybe not so much.
I will pay closer attention to the deeper signals that won't disc out on future hunts because there should be a way to tell a difference.
If there is I will figure it out eventually.
Right now I will just dig them because it is no big deal as the ground is forgiving and the digging is easy.
When it dries out I would not love spending way too much time chopping my way down deeper in rock hard dirt just to come up with a beaver tail tab for all that effort.

Another thing is in a couple of places I got some chatter, WiFi from some houses, under some power lines at another, I have never seen this before using the Vaq and definitely never the Compadre even though that one has the sense turned up to max internally.
I had to turn the sense down and the disc up to quiet it down but it still stopped and picked up targets even during these chatter fests.
Got me wondering how hot this thing really is.
Alan Cannon told me there were many discussions about exactly where to set this thing before release, it is nowhere near top end and has even more to go.
It is going deeper than my Compadre in the worst of my dirt, I got a little deeper with my Vaq but not much despite using DD coils and that manual GB plus extra power.
Then again I really never got into exploring the Vaq and it's settings to try to get to super deep levels as much as I could have
This one seems to be really close to matching that depth I regularly got to with the Vaq.
To me so far it seems to be some kind of hybrid of the two, or in my experiences anyway, but I have never used any other Tesoro except these three, either.

Otherwise, still fun using this thing and I am paying it off a little at a time.
Now time to find some quality jewelry and pay it off completely, I think.

Attachments

• user10659_pic75588_1496578459_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75588_1496578459_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 68
  • PicsArt_1496580594559_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    PicsArt_1496580594559_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 82
  • user10659_pic75589_1496578459_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75589_1496578459_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go digger. Nice report, too. Love to pull toys out of the dirt.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up.
It definitely seems to unmask better at higher disc settings.
Also noticed the up average response you spoke of.
Disc seems less reliable when sensitivity is past five.

As always a great post.
Thanks Digger

Noah

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Great write up.
It definitely seems to unmask better at higher disc settings.
Also noticed the up average response you spoke of.
Disc seems less reliable when sensitivity is past five.

As always a great post.
Thanks Digger

Noah

Disc is less reliable past 5, huh?
Did not know that as I usually just peg the sense.
Thanks...something new to experiment with.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey digger,
What would be super nice is if you somehow recorded the sound either coming from your
headphone or direct into a small hand held recorder to record the sound of a tab as opposed to a coin
and post it on here and see if we can tell the difference between sharper ends at the tones for coin and
softer for tabs/junk.

You can get small digital voice recorders on Amazon.

Thanks for the great write-up.
Nice finds too.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Well, I got a GoPro camera that takes great vids and has good sound but for about two years I have not had a place to set up my computer and process the data from my hunts.
Can't do it on a Kindle and my wife would prefer if I leave her laptop alone.
I have made some recently with my phone but the GoPro is much better.
That should change soon, we have emptied out a room that I can turn into my man cave so I will get set up and start making more vids with this one and my F70.

As far as hearing the difference in tones, sharp ends, other tiny differences in sounds, in my head phones if you know what you are listening for there are distinct differences but not sure how well they will transfer onto digital media.
The speaker on the Mojave is up front and pointing at you so that might help.

Those that understand the Tesoros language well know about these different inflections and sounds but actually explaining them and putting them into words is not so easy.
Kind of a learned instinct sort of thing after swinging these for many hours.

Last edited:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disc is less reliable past 5, huh?
Did not know that as I usually just peg the sense.
Thanks...something new to experiment with.

Nothing to make me not love the machine, but I've had a few instances with the sense cranked
of targets sounding good when they should have been disced out.
Trashy areas I tend to run at the preset sense level and it is an unmasking monster.
At the preset it's still a good inch deeper than my 5.75" Compadre

Last edited:

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I got a GoPro camera that takes great vids and has good sound but for about two years I have not had a place to set up my computer and process the data from my hunts.
Can't do it on a Kindle and my wife would prefer if I leave her laptop alone.
I have made some recently with my phone but the GoPro is much better.
That should change soon, we have emptied out a room that I can turn into my man cave so I will get set up and start making more vids with this one and my F70.

As far as hearing the difference in tones, sharp ends, other tiny differences in sounds, in my head phones if you know what you are listening for there are distinct differences but not sure how well they will transfer onto digital media.
The speaker on the Mojave is up front and pointing at you so that might help.

Those that understand the Tesoros language well know about these different inflections and sounds but actually explaining them and putting them into words is not so easy.
Kind of a learned instinct sort of thing after swinging these for many hours.

They say the human mind is able to decipher sounds sometimes better than a digital detector can tell you what's in the ground.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Nothing to make me not love the machine, but I've had a few instances with the sense cranked
of targets sounding good when they should have been disced out.
Trashy areas I tend to run at the preset sense level and it is an unmasking monster.
At the preset it's still a good inch deeper than my 5.75" Compadre

After reading this I said to myself, "What preset level?"
Then I looked and there is a big ol word that says Preset right on the faceplate.
Who'd a thunk it?

I guess that is for the more normal people out there.
Me, I come from the, if it's good enough to do it's good enough to overdo, school of thought.
But you deeply affected me, opened up my eyes to a whole new world of less power might work better than I know, mindset.
Being born, getting married and this...all life changing moments in my humble existence.
Life is good when you hang out in such a great community!

They say the human mind is able to decipher sounds sometimes better than a digital detector can tell you what's in the ground.

That is why I always use headphones and listen closely to the tones coming out of all my detectors.

Last edited:

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digger27, does the Mojave exhibit the 2-3 beep "superpower" of your 8" Compadre next to galvanized pipe/fence posts?

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It seems to but honestly I only tried it once on a coin I placed near to a fence pole and I did it very quickly.
Need to spend more time attempting to replicate what I know the Compadre can do so easily.

Last edited:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digger27, does the Mojave exhibit the 2-3 beep "superpower" of your 8" Compadre next to galvanized pipe/fence posts?

Lower the sensitivity to 2 or 3 and it is even smoother than the compadre next to fence posts and playground posts.
Same 2-3 beep but a little less finicky on sweep speed.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to be an eye opener Digger.
Your old Compadre posts helped get me started on the Tesoro train.
I guess what goes around comes around.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread