Thomas Dankowski's writing about target masking. Good read.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an interesting article.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it entertaining we can still debate how a metal detector works!

I believe it is Garrett that says the field is interrupted. Yet Minelab says the target re-radiates a new signal the detector receives.

Edit: here it is....

Garrett:
Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work
When a metallic object is within this generated magnetic field, it will create a distortion in the magnetic field. The RX coil will sense this distortion and send a signal to the control housing.

Minelab:
https://www.minelab.com/knowledge-base/getting-started/how-metal-detectors-work
Any metal objects (targets) within the electromagnetic field will become energised and retransmit an electromagnetic field of their own.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too bad they can't completely turn off the spectrum which excites pull tab, nails and bottle caps and just send the exact spectrum to excite gold, platinum, silver coins etc.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I once hunted a park that was stripped down 10 inches. I hunted it with the CTX until there were no medium to high conductors as well as nickel signals, just mostly iron. they stripped two more inches and i got a large cent, 6 indians, half dozens nickels, a bunch of wheats all just two inches below the iron, un-hearable by the CTX.

Masking is a peculiar thing.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once hunted a park that was stripped down 10 inches. I hunted it with the CTX until there were no medium to high conductors as well as nickel signals, just mostly iron. they stripped two more inches and i got a large cent, 6 indians, half dozens nickels, a bunch of wheats all just two inches below the iron, un-hearable by the CTX.

Masking is a peculiar thing.

Probably unhearable by all detectors.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a bunch of articles he wrote that are very informative.
Quite a few in the old Fisher Intelligence Reports.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Masking is a VERY real thing. People always mention going back to areas to find new targets that were never there before. I feel as more trash is being dug, and coins shift in the soil they become more detectable....that's not counting swing direction, detector sertings, and of course, EMI.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spoke with Tom on the phone not long ago. He is super intelligent, and a really nice guy.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Masking is a VERY real thing. People always mention going back to areas to find new targets that were never there before. I feel as more trash is being dug, and coins shift in the soil they become more detectable....that's not counting swing direction, detector sertings, and of course, EMI.

I posted a find on a metal detecting page on FaceBook the other day. I said I've been over this small area with different detectors and they never found the coin. A poster said I just never got the coil over the coin to begin with. I replied that over the years, coins shift and freezing and thawing of the ground causes coins to shift as well and cause what could be masking the coin to shift as well. Then there are animals in the soil that can move stuff around too. It is a very small area, maybe 6 foot x 6 foot. It's hard to believe that my detectors never went over that coin. It is possible, but highly doubtful. I do know I was going at a snail's pace when I found it. It was just an old Lincoln penny. But that's not the point of it being a penny or whatever. The point is that all those years it was masked. It is possible my sweep speed with the other detectors was too fast and I didn't notice the coin too. But I do know the area is literally loaded with square cut iron nails and other debris from over 100 years.

I've been looking into the Golden Mask 5+ and Makro Racer 2 as well as the Nokta Impact and wondering if those detectors, which are very good in iron would do the job even better?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this article, written in 2000 by Thomas Dankowski on how coins can be masked by other metals:

I wonder if this is still applicable today, 17 years later.

Tony your new so no foul but we do not allow hot links to competing forums. You can repost from other forums as long as it is not an attack or drama from another forum but we do not allow links to competing forums.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted a find on a metal detecting page on FaceBook the other day. I said I've been over this small area with different detectors and they never found the coin. A poster said I just never got the coil over the coin to begin with. I replied that over the years, coins shift and freezing and thawing of the ground causes coins to shift as well and cause what could be masking the coin to shift as well. Then there are animals in the soil that can move stuff around too. It is a very small area, maybe 6 foot x 6 foot. It's hard to believe that my detectors never went over that coin. It is possible, but highly doubtful. I do know I was going at a snail's pace when I found it. It was just an old Lincoln penny. But that's not the point of it being a penny or whatever. The point is that all those years it was masked. It is possible my sweep speed with the other detectors was too fast and I didn't notice the coin too. But I do know the area is literally loaded with square cut iron nails and other debris from over 100 years.

I've been looking into the Golden Mask 5+ and Makro Racer 2 as well as the Nokta Impact and wondering if those detectors, which are very good in iron would do the job even better?

We're always learning everything we go on a new hunt. I've recently just got back into the hobby, and the technology in all these new machines (even entry level) blows me away.

I really believe most of the new detectors are pretty darn good.....it's just learning each machines language, and being able to replicate targets and in different scenarios with success. After digging a couple nice spills, and deeper coins mixed with iron I've been digging wayyyy more. It's frustrating at times but definitely a learning curve.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tony your new so no foul but we do not allow hot links to competing forums. You can repost from other forums as long as it is not an attack or drama from another forum but we do not allow links to competing forums.

Sorry about that. It wasn't from a competing forum from another website. At least not that I think so. It was just on a web site where this guy does research on metal detecting. However, I do think he promotes detectors starting with an "F."
I thought it would be good for other detectorists to see what they are up against concerning masking of targets.
What to you is a forum? I don't mean to ask that in a nasty way. I just want to make sure I understand you.
I *think* I understand you to mean by "forum" as meaning: "another website"? If that's the case, I will abide by your rule on this.

Please let me know. I resprect your thoughts on this matter and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

I am curious why the links in #3 post in this thread is okay but mine was not? Just curious. Not meaning to be nasty or anything. Not challenging you either. Just curious.
How are we to know what is "competing" and what isn't?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that. It wasn't from a competing forum from another website. At least not that I think so. It was just on a web site where this guy does research on metal detecting. However, I do think he promotes detectors starting with an "F."
I thought it would be good for other detectorists to see what they are up against concerning masking of targets.
What to you is a forum? I don't mean to ask that in a nasty way. I just want to make sure I understand you.
I *think* I understand you to mean by "forum" as meaning: "another website"? If that's the case, I will abide by your rule on this.

Please let me know. I resprect your thoughts on this matter and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

I am curious why the links in #3 post in this thread is okay but mine was not? Just curious. Not meaning to be nasty or anything. Not challenging you either. Just curious.
How are we to know what is "competing" and what isn't?

No apology needed, your new here...... (Welcome to TreasureNet.)

On any treasure website that has a forum, links are not allowed, if no forum then that is different. I know the forum, I am a member and Thomas Dankowski is very respected in the hobby.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No apology needed, your new here...... (Welcome to TreasureNet.)

On any treasure website that has a forum, links are not allowed, if no forum then that is different. I know the forum, I am a member and Thomas Dankowski is very respected in the hobby.

That's cool. At the time I didn't notice his forum. I just got it off his main website. But yes, you are right. He does have a forum. Hopefully this won't happen again.
Thanks for being nice about it! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're always learning everything we go on a new hunt. I've recently just got back into the hobby, and the technology in all these new machines (even entry level) blows me away.

I really believe most of the new detectors are pretty darn good.....it's just learning each machines language, and being able to replicate targets and in different scenarios with success. After digging a couple nice spills, and deeper coins mixed with iron I've been digging wayyyy more. It's frustrating at times but definitely a learning curve.
Yes, HighVDI the new machines are great. But never underestimate old school detectors! especially in the hands of someone who has been using them for a while. They can often run circles around new school.
I used to have a Compass machine that I had a tech work on for added depth. It only got about 6 inches max depth brand new. That was years ago. After he was done I would swing it as fast as I wanted to and if there
was a coin in the ground it would hit it. I was digging 8 to 10 inch dimes in super hard packed ground with that thing. I don't normally hunt like that but my friend wanted to go. That was a great silver day. Wish I never sold it. I'm sure Tesoros can do the same thing. It's just that I haven't tried them super fast yet.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the past two seasons, I've been detecting several vacant lots where several 1890-1900 homes once stood.
I must have been there at least 12 times, hunting the same areas in different grid directions, during various soil-moisture conditions, and have always pulled out as much trash as I could each time.

When I was out there last month, I started digging the "iffy" whispers (for lack of "solid" target hits) and was rewarded with a 1929, gold class ring, several V-Nickels and 3, Barber Dimes. . . I'm still wondering HOW I missed those targets. . . I KNOW I was over those areas before. . . maybe I pulled out just enough of the masking "trash" (the hunt before) and/or moisture conditions were in my favor. . . well, I'll be back there again.

I guess that what makes detecting such fun.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, HighVDI the new machines are great. But never underestimate old school detectors! especially in the hands of someone who has been using them for a while. They can often run circles around new school.
I used to have a Compass machine that I had a tech work on for added depth. It only got about 6 inches max depth brand new. That was years ago. After he was done I would swing it as fast as I wanted to and if there
was a coin in the ground it would hit it. I was digging 8 to 10 inch dimes in super hard packed ground with that thing. I don't normally hunt like that but my friend wanted to go. That was a great silver day. Wish I never sold it. I'm sure Tesoros can do the same thing. It's just that I haven't tried them super fast yet.

Oh, theres no doubt. Thing is now....the entry level detector now days can do as much as many older machines, being half the weight, and use hardly any battery. Hard to beat technology....

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
During the past two seasons, I've been detecting several vacant lots where several 1890-1900 homes once stood.
I must have been there at least 12 times, hunting the same areas in different grid directions, during various soil-moisture conditions, and have always pulled out as much trash as I could each time.

When I was out there last month, I started digging the "iffy" whispers (for lack of "solid" target hits) and was rewarded with a 1929, gold class ring, several V-Nickels and 3, Barber Dimes. . . I'm still wondering HOW I missed those targets. . . I KNOW I was over those areas before. . . maybe I pulled out just enough of the masking "trash" (the hunt before) and/or moisture conditions were in my favor. . . well, I'll be back there again.

I guess that what makes detecting such fun.

Perhaps certain coins shifted that were on edge making them detectable? So many variables like you said it's what makes it fun!.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Forest Gump said it best......"detecting is like a box of chocolates ".......lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread