Question on Tesoro Epsilon (5 pin) coils

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is the 9 x 8 spoked concentric coil and the 8" round concentric coil.

Tesoro 8 inch round concentric coil.jpg Tesoro 9x8 spoked concentric.jpg

My question is, which one is better for depth and target separation? And what about the 12 x 10 spoked concentric coil?

Also, what is the difference between round WIDESCAN search coils and DD and doughnut search coils?

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on your soil in Michigan. If it is iron rich, you may be better off with a Double D coil, if not and you can use the Concentric, spoked or doughnut doesn't make a difference except for WEIGHT.

Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

I have a 10x12 DD Epsilon coil and it is chattery on my Bandido and Elderado as all get out. I think it is overly sensitive to electrical interference. My 9x8 Delta DD coil is nice and stable on my Vaquero.
I don't think our soil is too irony. My problem is iron nails.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 10x12 DD Epsilon coil and it is chattery on my Bandido and Elderado as all get out. I think it is overly sensitive to electrical interference. My 9x8 Delta DD coil is nice and stable on my Vaquero.

Bigger coils are more susceptible to EMI, and both the Bandido and Eldorado are more susceptible to it than the Vaquero.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony, to answer Terry's question, we don't have iron rich or harsh soil where we are.
I have had great luck, and prefer concentric.
I can understand people with harsh soil preferring the DD though.
It does have some plus's too but for me concentric all the way. They disc way better in my travels here haha

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As far as I know there is no 9x8 DD.... But if you have A 9x8 concentric (the white one you attached at the start of the thread) then its definitely a concentric

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Stefan and everyone for the info. I might order the 9x8 conentric. Probably get the Delta coil for the Bandido and Elderado. They can share it.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Stefan and everyone for the info. I might order the 9x8 conentric. Probably get the Delta coil for the Bandido and Elderado. They can share it.

If you have a choice... get the 8" concentric instead of the 9x8. They perform similarly, and while the 8" appears to be more "old fashoned" it doesn't get caught on twigs as easily, and I perceive it to have a bigger "sweet spot", if that makes any sense. Depth is about the same.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a choice... get the 8" concentric instead of the 9x8. They perform similarly, and while the 8" appears to be more "old fashoned" it doesn't get caught on twigs as easily, and I perceive it to have a bigger "sweet spot", if that makes any sense. Depth is about the same.

pinenut, I have the brown concentric which came with the detector with is the doughnut type.

Do you think the 8" will give much more depth? It will give an inch more coverage.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pinenut, I have the brown concentric which came with the detector with is the doughnut type.

Do you think the 8" will give much more depth? It will give an inch more coverage.

The stock 8" brown donut is an excellent coil, and one of my favorites.
In use, I don't see any real advantage to the 9x8 over the 8. I prefer the 8".

I do use the 11x8 Widescan (DD) on occasion, when I want greater coverage and there's little trash. Otherwise, it's either the 5.75" or 8" concentrics. I usually have one of each in the car. The new 7" also seems very good but I only have the one on my Mojave and haven't put it on anything else..yet.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have compared the 8" donut and the 9x8 spoked on several different detectors and the only difference I could see is the 8"donut offers just the slightest depth advantage. Not enough to justify buying one to replace the 9x8. The spoked coil tends to hang up more often in brush or tall grass and the like.
luvsdux

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had great luck with the 8" donut. I have many of them and my most used coil as long as I'm not in too much trash.
And when starting out it helped on my compadre because of the hole in the middle. X the target a.d it's right in the center. :-)

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mmm..donut holes..

Another reason to like the 8" better than the 9x8..it's that donut hole.. Seeing your dig spot so easily through the donut hole has to be one of the best reasons to like it. Smaller hole and too many spokes on the 9x8.
One of these days I'll stick both coils on the scale and see which weighs more. I still think the 8" is the lighter coil.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another reason to like the 8" better than the 9x8..it's that donut hole.. Seeing your dig spot so easily through the donut hole has to be one of the best reasons to like it. Smaller hole and too many spokes on the 9x8.
One of these days I'll stick both coils on the scale and see which weighs more. I still think the 8" is the lighter coil.

I measured my doughnut coils and I have two 8".

Is it normal for them to have a hard time hitting a copper penny, newly buried at a measured 9" and flat in the hole?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I measured my doughnut coils and I have two 8".

Is it normal for them to have a hard time hitting a copper penny, newly buried at a measured 9" and flat in the hole?

Yeah; normal. That's pushing the limit on a penny in mild soil, with that coil on a Bandido II μmax. The Eldorado should go a tiny bit deeper but not a lot. Vaquero will go another couple inches in mild soil.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as I know there is no 9x8 DD.... But if you have A 9x8 concentric (the white one you attached at the start of the thread) then its definitely a concentric

You are right. I actually have the 11x8 dd coil for the Vaquero. That coil and the 5.75 round CONCENTRIC was shipped with it. I really like the sound of the Vaq. It's not the high tone.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah; normal. That's pushing the limit on a penny in mild soil, with that coil on a Bandido II μmax. The Eldorado should go a tiny bit deeper but not a lot. Vaquero will go another couple inches in mild soil.

I'll have to see if the Vaquero will hit it good. I can hit it with the Bandido with it supertuned but just barely. Maybe if that penny was down there for 40 years it would build up a halo. The soil is so dry it's like powder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread