Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I had a very interesting talk about the DeLeon, with Rusty a Tesoro. Around 30 minutes.
Here are a few things Rusty said:

The Deleon is Tesoros sleeper machine. People just don't understand and take the time to understand just how good it really is.

Best to run sensitivity from 4 to 8. You gain very little depth at maximum sensitivity, and lose some stability.

Set threshold using all metal, just until you hear a whispering hum, then switch to discrimination mode. You are set to go.

He also said the DeLeon and the Cortes were set up very different from all other Tesoros.
For example : The coil should hover over the ground at least an inch to "give it some air space."
However, the other Tesoros perform really well by gently scrubbing the top of the soil.
We didn't get into the reasoning behind all of this.

I maybe wrong, but I think perhaps it has something to do with the DeLeon and Cortes having a screen. More to filter, soil and weeds disrupt the process. Don't know....

Anyways, this info might not be worthy of a writeup, but I found it to be interesting.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it likes some space to let the microprocessor work. That's why it'll say liftcoil or have the ^^^^^ to tell you this.
Also takes a couple swings over the target to lock on to what the chip says it is.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, thanks for sharing this very useful information. I have not had a chance to detect for the past couple of weeks as we decided to put our home on the market and move back to Southern Oregon. Talk about a never-ending fire drill! Hope you are healing well from your surgery.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, thank you very much. I wish you the best with your move.
Not much hunting lately. Gotta heal fast.
I did go out for around 45 min this week. Enough time for something strange to happen.

Found a 2013 quarter 7" down. About 3' over I found a 1941 nickel just barely covered with sand, in a washed out area.

I can't wait for you to get out there with your Deleon.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Vern for that information. I didn't know the other Tesoro's had to get closer to the ground. That's
a great tip to know!
Maybe the DeLeon and Corte's is like a woman. Give 'em a little space, let 'em breathe a little and eventually they will deliver the goods? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Vern for that information. I didn't know the other Tesoro's had to get closer to the ground. That's
a great tip to know!
Maybe the DeLeon and Corte's is like a woman. Give 'em a little space, let 'em breathe a little and eventually they will deliver the goods? :thumbsup:

Yep, those strange creatures do need their space.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread