May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
His Garrett AT Pro and Tesoro Mojave,
Her Garrett ACE 300 with 5" x 8" DD coil,
and two Garrett Pro-Pointer ATs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground is still wet, but the ATP is back up to normal 86 GB (dropped to 84 after rain). Mojave battery test gives a long, obnoxiously loud tone, so that’s good.

The Mojave works without any noise at all on Low GB—pumping it up and down and scanning all over the yard. I’ve left it on Low since.

The depth of lifting the coil over coins on the ground, under the thatch in the front yard, was the same as the air test in the house (not surprised).

The depth pretty much equals the sensitivity setting. At the preset of 4, it’s about 4” on all the coins, maybe a bit more on the quarter. At five, it gets up to about 5”. Going up into the max range I expect it might get to 6” in a quieter EMI environment. I know others have done better, but this is what mine does.

I have coins standing vertically over a joist between every other board on my deck, in line with the nails. With Disc set just below Foil, the Mojave got the coins and not the nails, but it had a tough time doing so. I had to crank the sensitivity up and keep the coil real close.

Although my wife’s Garrett ACE 300 is also a $250 MAP detector, it has a $130 5” x 8” DD coil on it. So I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to the Mojave unless I put the never used 7” x 10” concentric back on it (with the DD, the ACE is almost an inch deeper and doesn’t have as much trouble with the deck board test). I’d like to see what the Mojave would do with the 7” WideScan.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great report! I just got an 11" x 8" widescan for my Mojave, but I have not sent it to the factory to have it tuned yet. Please stand by. :occasion14:

Brianfromsyr

Oct 8, 2012
Mattydale, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuning?

Great report! I just got an 11" x 8" widescan for my Mojave, but I have not sent it to the factory to have it tuned yet. Please stand by. :occasion14:
Will a coil work without having it factory tuned?
Do they change settings in the detector?
If so will my stock coil performance change if a different coil is tuned?
Will I just send the control box for tuning?
I was thinking of trying a widescan next payday if reports are good.
Brian

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From what I’ve read and seen on YouTube, I expected a little better performance from the Mojave. In an area where most cut Bluegrass to 3 inches and let it grow to 3-1/2 - 4, it looks like I can expect at best 2-3 inches of soil penetration, swinging an inch or so down in the grass.

But remember I chose this as an alternative to a smaller coil (such as the Garrett Super Sniper or NEL Snake) for my AT Pro, and that’s about how deep my Mojave performs. The upside is I don’t have to change coils, the downside is it isn’t kayak-safe.

From my experience, I wouldn’t recommend the 7” Mojave as a beginner’s only detector. Perhaps a Compadre or Silver µMax with 8” coil may be better for that.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very early this morning, the EMI quieted down enough to do an air test on Max Sensitivity without too much noise. That setting seems to be the one everyone uses for depth reporting/comparison so I wanted to include it here. GB was on Low and Discrimination set to Minimum.

Dimes and pennies gave repeatable tones out to 6” and mostly repeatable clicks to about 6-1/2”. Quarters and nickels gave repeatable tones out to about 6-1/2” and mostly repeatable clicks out to 7”. Those clicks were distinguishable from the noise and could be discriminated out, but I wouldn't count them if comparing to another reported depth.

[edit: I put the original 10" x 7" concentric on my wife's ACE 300 and as I expected, the larger elliptical coil performed about an inch or so deeper than the round 7".]

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting your findings on the Mojave so far Mo, very informative, keep us posted on your results.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett AT Pro. It has an auto ground balance I can use by just pumping the coil to monitor ground mineralization.

Oh, Okay, I was confused because you were talking about the Mojave and I thought there was some top secret thing about it called ATP. LOL. Me so dumb.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for using abbreviations... that have frustrated me here.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P.S. Mo, I like your references next to your flag. Don't forget John 3:17. I believe it with all my heart.
Tesoro means treasure. But you and I know where the real treasure is.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen, Tony.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are soaking wet now out here and can't wait to hit the ground a hunting, will be sunny the next few days and is going to bring alot of strong signals and treasure in my bad soil, so will be easier to dig around in our area should be easy on my back this time around.

OP
OP
Mo Diggins

Mo Diggins

May 24, 2017
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our soil here is like concrete when dry. It's been a real pleasure to dig after the thorough soaking we got the last week. The ground is wet down at least a foot.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same with us hear pretty much clay and super dry hard with balls of soil gathering, we got at least a foot of rain in the soil today as well, should be good times sir!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Favorite time to hunt and dig is after a good rain. Let the surface dry enough not to have soaked knees, but soon after.
Machine works better in soil that's not bone dry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread