Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eldorado..

I dont have the Bandido, but I think Pinenut will agree, this Eldorado Umax I got is freakin awesome also.......several on ebay listed if the Bandido II umax gets ridiculous.

:occasion14:

I do agree about the Eldorado being another awesome Tesoro!

It was my favorite Tesoro until I got a Bandido II μMAX, which has "ED120" disc and worked a bit better in the trashy spots at simply ignoring small iron. Eldorado is a little deeper than my Bandidos, and has a VCO all-metal.
With disc set to minimum and wearing a 5.75 coil, Eldorado and its "ED180" disc will see steel staples and BB's several " down! Used to love that for cleaning out totlots, as it'll get the tiniest jewelery, but you can't get as close to steel-poled play equipment with the Eldorado as you can with a Compadre.. Then, Compadre doesn't have Eldorado's power or features.

I see Eldorado as a sort of (and in some ways better) pre-Vaquero.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see the Silver UMAX about the same price as a MOJAVE. Which is best for coins in trashy area?
Marvin

Good question, Marvin.

I think the Mojave, even though it has what Tesoro calls "ED180" discrimination, works very well to disc out unwanted iron trash. - Even better and more cleanly than some other Tesoros with ED180. Tesoro did a great job making Mojave's disc work so well, while still giving us that full disc range.

I haven't used a Silver (but have the Cutlass II μMAX, nearly the same), and I'm pretty sure the Silver has the "ED120", which will ignore the smallest iron even at minimal disc settings. My preferred trashy place Tesoros all use ED120, where bottle caps can be disc'd out while still solidly hitting nickels.

A trash rejection test would be an interesting comparison between the two detectors, as they both fit into the same price bracket and get shopped against each other. Two things the Mojave has over the Silver though, are the ground mineral switch and it's ability to see the tiny iron, when you actually do want to.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question, Marvin.

I think the Mojave, even though it has what Tesoro calls "ED180" discrimination, works very well to disc out unwanted iron trash. - Even better and more cleanly than some other Tesoros with ED180. Tesoro did a great job making Mojave's disc work so well, while still giving us that full disc range.

I haven't used a Silver (but have the Cutlass II μMAX, nearly the same), and I'm pretty sure the Silver has the "ED120", which will ignore the smallest iron even at minimal disc settings. My preferred trashy place Tesoros all use ED120, where bottle caps can be disc'd out while still solidly hitting nickels.

A trash rejection test would be an interesting comparison between the two detectors, as they both fit into the same price bracket and get shopped against each other. Two things the Mojave has over the Silver though, are the ground mineral switch and it's ability to see the tiny iron, when you actually do want to.
Thanks for the reply. I do not want to see Iron when in trashy areas. I just need a backup for my BH LRP to use in trash/iron infested areas.
Marvin

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question, Marvin.

Has anyone tested a Silver and Mojave against each other?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread