doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at that one as well, the Super Traq as you know as automatic GB compared to the Lobo manual, I was wondering the same thing how they compared when the the ground in balanced to the coil especially on nugget hunting compared to just coin hunting.. If I had the Lobo either one it would only have the elliptical on it and nothing else, see no other need to change it out.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..If I had the Lobo either one it would only have the elliptical on it and nothing else, see no other need to change it out.

The one I bought comes with an eliptical that I think is a concentric (hard to read) and a 4" round concentric. That's the main reason I bought that one. Pretty sure Tesoro offered both concentric and Widescan in the eliptical shape.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you post a list of your Tesoro's if that is ok, always interested in hearing what people own. Also if you were to suggest another Tesoro to what I currently own what would you say would be a next Tesoro for me to have, my soil is not highly mineralized and I would like to think of getting one in the future, just not sure what that would be?

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just get a bandido..

Can you post a list of your Tesoro's if that is ok, always interested in hearing what people own. Also if you were to suggest another Tesoro to what I currently own what would you say would be a next Tesoro for me to have, my soil is not highly mineralized and I would like to think of getting one in the future, just not sure what that would be?

I'll get around to posting a pic with all of 'em someday. I do have a few, and certainly have my favorites.
I like using each of 'em once in a while and in certain places, but my current land detecting favorites are the Bandido II μMAX, Eldorado, Outlaw and Mojave.
I probably use the Bandidos most often; great machines.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again for the advice Pinenut and sorry to drop ship on your topic here hope you get responses to your question.

HH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not a problem..

Thanks again for the advice Pinenut and sorry to drop ship on your topic here hope you get responses to your question.

HH.

I'm sure that somebody with an original Lobo may speak up eventually. Probably not that many people using the older ones. I should have mine by next weekend, so I'll make a post on how it seems to do, after I get some time on it. Just went back to the listing on mine and had another look at the eliptical coil, and it definitely is a concentric eliptical. Don't know what that means for nugget hunting, but it should be awesome for coins.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one ...don't get to use it much here, but it does well on coins and such. it will sniff out gold better than my newer detectors. I got it for my grandson, but it's a little too heavy for him...I usually hip-mount it. It originally had the 5 x 10 elliptical coil but it was bad ...I sent it in to Tesoro last year and Rusty tuned it up and gave me a great deal on a new coil 5 x 10 elliptical ...I am strongly considering selling it soon View attachment 1463744 View attachment 1463751 View attachment 1463752

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one ...don't get to use it much here, but it does well on coins and such. it will sniff out gold better than my newer detectors...

angelito1, thanks for posting.
Does yours have the Widescan or the concentric eliptical on it? Wondering which is the more sensitive gold coil. Also, how does the depth seem on coins?

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does pretty well on coins 10-12 inches on quarters I have the widescan 5 × 10 on it it will hit a medium weight gold ring about to 9 inches sometimes more

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tesoro never made an elliptical football concentric....
(But I'd love one!!)

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I spoke to Alan Cannon a year ago when I first got my Concentric 5.75" I told him I was going to pick up my coil on the way out to B.C. and may stop and hunt the river beds in Grand Forks, at the time the 5.75" Widescan would be the way to go to hunt small nuggets with the Vaquero when it is GB well, but realistically I turned to the concentric for my area I would be hunting most of the time, so I changed my order from the widescan to concentric for that case...now I would not doubt it would be far off from the widescan can performance as well the concentric penetration narrowing in would be a pretty good way to go, keeping in mind to swinging slow and having the threasholed feature set right along with sensitivity for gold on the concentric would still be not a wrong decission here, either way will find gold good maybe the widescan a bit better but if you are going to use it for coin shooting as well I would settle for the concentric myself.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taken from Tesoro web site.

The SuperTRAQ comes with a 10 inch elliptical widescan coil. Optional coils are also available: 7 inch elliptical concentric coil, 8 inch round concentric coil, 8½ inch round widescan coil and the 11 inch round widescan coil.
For most nugget hunting conditions, the widescan or double "D" coil would be the choice because it handles high mineralization the best. However, the widescan coil does not discriminate as well as the concentric coil. Therefore, I believe the choice for most coin hunting conditions would be the concentric coil.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's new to me!!!
Didn't know they made a football shaped elliptical concentric!!!
I want one!!!
I still can't find anything on it besides that.
I know they made a smaller 4ish" wide elliptical as an accessory coil for lobo. Maybe that's it. Not sure if that one was a concentric or not

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's new to me!!!
Didn't know they made a football shaped elliptical concentric!!!
I want one!!!
I still can't find anything on it besides that.
I know they made a smaller 4ish" wide elliptical as an accessory coil for lobo. Maybe that's it. Not sure if that one was a concentric or not

Yep; they did. Apparently, the Widescan was the "new" eliptical coil when Lobo was announced and was standard. One optional coil was the concentric eliptical. The manual says the Widescan works better around hot rocks, but the concentric is more sensitive to tiny gold. I imagine it discriminates better too.
The later SuperTraq Lobo uses a different coil connector, the same as the HOT series Tesoros. Original Lobo uses a "reversed" 4 pin and only shares coils with the Diablo or Diablo II, I think. Tesoro did offer 3 sizes of eliptical for the old Lobo. Not sure which sizes were available in both Widescan and concentric. The Lobo I just bought comes with a concentric eliptical, which I think is 10x5", and a 4" concentric. Hoping it works as it should.. You never know with used eBay stuff.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as I said above..

..you just never know with used eBay stuff. Got that Lobo yesterday and while it didn't look too bad, turning it on sounded like the speaker was blown out; a nasty vibrating buzz, like the cone was torn. OK, I could live with that. Speakers are easy to replace and I use headphones anyway.. On to an airtest. Set threshold in all-metal auto, centered the GB at 5 turns in and tested a dime. Got a depth of only about 4" with sensitivity maxed. Not impressed, but what the hey; it's a gold detector and GB wasn't properly set. Figured I'd try disc next and set it to disc auto/disc on the toggles.. That's weird - still have the threshold (which wasn't stable). Well, maybe this model isn't supposed to have a "silent search" disc mode..(it is).. Cranked the disc up to drop the dime and it was still there. Tried a small diaper pin next. This thing is steel, so should disc out pretty low; right? Didn't go away, even with disc all the way up.. Toggles do nothing, and disc mode doesn't work. This thing's a steamin' pile and needs to go back.

Word of warning to anyone seeing this Lobo back on eBay sometime soon - don't buy it unless it comes with a fresh repair tag from Tesoro. I sent it back to the seller today.

Guess I'll try some nugget hunting with a 5.75 Widescan on my Tejon. Should work, but I had hopes for the Lobo, it being a proper nugget machine.

When I get my $ refunded from that Lobo nonsense, I'll do what I should have done before impulse buying it - cough up the extra for a new SAND SHARK and hit the beaches... Too hot up here this week.. :sunny:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bummer.
At least with eBay you can return if it's not as listed.
I've bought two used Tesoros and have been lucky I guess.
The compadre that I waterproofed and a GoldenSabreII.
The GS is turning out to be a pretty fun detector.
Decided I wanted to keep it so I splurged and spent the
$50 for a check up. They retuned the coil and recalibrated
the notch window. It was good before but now it's even better.
Definitely cleaned up the tone break and it high tones on
the 8" quarter in my test bed.

Did you by chance call Rusty and check on potential repair estimate?
I know it's the sellers responsibility but if it's a sweet deal it could be
worth it to keep???

I never win those bandido2microMax auctions because I factor in the
$50 Tesoro service charge, I'm too cheap I guess

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't call Rusty. It pissed me off that it wasn't working right and was just sold as "used" with no mention of problems. Seller needed to have that one back. So far, I've sent three used detectors back to sellers. One was completely DOA, and the seller wanted to argue that it was perfect when he sent it to me, and I "must have switched something on it" (jackass). He had it back on eBay a couple weeks later with a different coil. Another one was in much worse shape than described, and with worn/dirty pots. I could have sent it in for repair, but why bother.
Plenty of others on eBay at similar prices, and needing no repairs.
I may pick up another Lobo in the future, and if it needs fixin', I'll just send it back too.. :wave:

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't call Rusty. It pissed me off that it wasn't working right and was just sold as "used" with no mention of problems. Seller needed to have that one back. So far, I've sent three used detectors back to sellers. One was completely DOA, and the seller wanted to argue that it was perfect when he sent it to me, and I "must have switched something on it" (jackass). He had it back on eBay a couple weeks later with a different coil. Another one was in much worse shape than described, and with worn/dirty pots. I could have sent it in for repair, but why bother.
Plenty of others on eBay at similar prices, and needing no repairs.
I may pick up another Lobo in the future, and if it needs fixin', I'll just send it back too.. :wave:

I usually ask questions about the detector to make a paper trail. Besides just the description, it helps to have the paper trail.
Sellers that won't answer questions, I won't buy from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread