Gary41

Greenie
Jul 22, 2015
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I bought a used Lobo Super Traq from a gentleman who decided he had no use for it since moving to Oregon from Arizona two years ago. I saw it on Craigs List and drove 30 miles to take a look at it. I just started the hobby last summer and have a Outlaw and a Mojave. I wasn't in the market for another detector and didn't know much about the Lobo, but since it is noted as a gold detector and I live in Southern Oregon gold country, I decided to go take a look.

When I arrived at his house he was waiting for me out front. He had the Lobo in the back of his truck and a bunch of stuff that was included in the sale.

Included in the sale was:

Lobo Super Traq with the 10" Elliptical coil
Extra 8" Concentric coil
Tesoro rain jacket on the housing unit
A large Tesoro carry bag (listed in Tesoro catalog for $49.95)
Two sets of headphones - One is Koss brand that look to be nice quality phones and the second pair is Bounty Hunter brand and might have been an entry level pair.
Green Garrett 10" gold pan
Plastic sand scoop
5 - Various types of hand scoop tools
2 - Eisenhower dollar coins 1972 and 1976 (Why he included them in sale I can't tell you, but I didn't complain).
The last two items kinda floored me. When he was showing me the Lobo he said, let me show you how it finds gold. There was a small patch of dirt area next to his driveway and he turned on the Lobo and proceeded to swing it over the dirt. He got a signal and said lets see what we got. He reached into the dirt about 2 or 3 inches and pulled out a small vial with a spec of gold in it ( about match head size). He handed it to me and said here's your first gold. I thought he meant just to look at it. He then reached in the gold pan where there was another vial which had a larger piece of gold. This one about 1/4" long and 3/16 wide. He gave me both vials in the sale ( this was a nice guy to do business with).

He bought the Lobo in 1998 and showed me the original receipt. Since he lived in Prescott he had Rusty calibrate both coils to the Lobo.
The Lobo is in mint condition. There is not a mark on it, not on the shafts and even the bottom of the coils are in great clean condition. I don't know how much he used it during those 17 years in Arizona but he sure took care of it. I know it's an old one and the new Lobos might have improved a little but I am going to have fun with it and try to find a little Oregon gold. If I decide to use it for coin and jewelry hunting not sure which coil would be best.

I know what your thinking - What did you pay for it?? I paid $300. I don't know what the seller paid in 1998 but he was happy to get $300 and I am a happy buyer.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Gary. You came out like a bandit. Seems so, anyway.
Nice guy to do business with.

I hope you find some gold.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you got a great deal getting all those extras. I bought one from an older gentleman who lives 1.5 hours away for $75 last spring. For the price I couldn't pass it up (the older model with ground tracking), no extras though. I ended up selling it for a meager profit. I'm not a big fan of the monotone, I'd rather hear 2 or more tones when I detect. Just my preference being a coin shooter who appreciates a digging a cool relic and bling.

Good luck on your quest for the GOLD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread