THe Mojave doesn't discriminate, .in target choice I mean...seems to like big silver

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

Attachments

• 20170624_082039-1.jpg
    20170624_082039-1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20170624_082053-1.jpg
    20170624_082053-1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woot sweet Walker!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats digger! What a rush to find the big silvers!

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa.......beautiful.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New permission, small lawn, disc maxed, cherry picking the high tones with the Mojave on it's first run.
First target was a copper memorial cent...ten seconds later this was the second.

That's just terrible! Can't you send the detector in and have them make it so it discs out those big silver coins? That way maybe you will save some for me. :laughing7:
That is one sweet find, digger!

How deep was the deepest coin you've found so far with the Mojave?

Last edited:
OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
That's just terrible! Can't you send the detector in and have them make it so it discs out those big silver coins? That way maybe you will save some for me. :laughing7:
That is one sweet find, digger!
ce
How deep was the deepest coin you've found so far with the Mojave?

5" or so, maybe 6".
Between 4-6" is where most of my old coins around here usually are but I have gotten a couple deeper with the F70...those are rare but once in awhile.
This one was about 3-4".

The Mojave us definitely deeper in my dirt than the Compadre so I am glad I got it, exactly how deep I can get remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5" or so, maybe 6".
Between 4-6" is where most of my old coins around here usually are but I have gotten a couple deeper with the F70...those are rare but once in awhile.
This one was about 3-4".

The Mojave us definitely deeper in my dirt than the Compadre so I am glad I got it, exactly how deep I can get remains to be seen.

Just curious what state you live in?
I live in Michigan where the soil is rather sandy in parts and other parts has a lot of clay. Many of my oldest coins were only around 7 inches deep and some rather shallow.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Just curious what state you live in?
I live in Michigan where the soil is rather sandy in parts and other parts has a lot of clay. Many of my oldest coins were only around 7 inches deep and some rather shallow.

I hunted in Michigan, north of Detroit around the Lake St. Clair area...beautiful rich black dirt.
Also in Kansas and Missouri with pretty much the same kind of soil.
Here in Birmingham Ala. I am in hell, red oxide filled clay in about 90% of the areas I hunt in, some areas do have a little better black dirt for the top few inches, the sites where the black dirt runs deeper are rare but special.
Even in the black stuff I GB in the mid 60's or so, it can get up to the low 80's around here in the bad red stuff.
As bad as that mineralization is that is not the biggest problem, actual real bits of iron is from microscopic to small nails and larger plus slag iron that got mixed into most of the fill dirt used around here building up the city.
That slag was dumped into the dirt from the steel and iron industries that built this city long ago then spread out everywhere.
Plus most parks I hunt were originally sites where old homes and entire neighborhoods stood, if you ever hunt old home sites with knocked down houses and see what you are up against regarding iron that is what most of the parks I hunt are like...lots of the lawns I hunt too.
Not much I can do about any of that as long as I am living here so I learned some tips, techniques, a new language and methods to deal with it all.
My F70 works great here, once I learned some new behaviors, and the Compadre does too although not very deep.
My Vaq did ok but it seems to like iron a bit too much so even though in Kansas it was fun and great to use here it makes me dig more iron than I want to so I traded it away to a dealer in Missouri who will enjoy it and got a new coil for my F70 and a new Mojave.
A great decision all around for me...both started finding me extremely iron masked treasures in this devil dirt right out of the box.
I was hoping for just a little bit better performance from this Mojave in my dirt than my Compadre but it has surpassed my expectations by a mile so I am very pleased.
For me this one is the best Tesoro I ever used in this state and I still don't know how far it can go...but I am having fun trying to find out.

This will give you an idea of what I am up against in most of my sites.
I have met a few guys walking around my neighborhood doing curb strips that told me they tried doing this hobby years ago but gave up quickly...all this iron chased them away.
Wusses...when the going gets tough the tough...figure it out.
For those that hunt in more normal conditions be happy you do and appreciate it on every hunt...I sure did when we moved out to Kansas for three years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=sejzlCo9rsY

Last edited:

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried any Minelabs in your iron soil?
I wonder how the F70 stacks up againt the Minelab SE Pro?

Did you ever find that signal near the end of your video? It ended too soon to see if you did.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Have you tried any Minelabs in your iron soil?
I wonder how the F70 stacks up againt the Minelab SE Pro?

Did you ever find that signal near the end of your video? It ended too soon to see if you did.

I have a friend that hunts with an E Trac.
I go deeper with my F70 here, find more masked targets in the iron too.
Other models might do better but I am not interested.
After swinging Fishers and Tesoros I am not keen on using any detectors as heavy as the Minelabs for any length of time.
I could...just don't want to.
I get by very well with what I have.

Here is the rest of that story...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=UuyIs67n32A

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=RIvCaOGTgEo

This was just a private lesson I used to show some members of an F70 social club I started on Friendly about how I do things.

Notice the jumping everywhere even on shallow targets.
That is because of not only the junk in my soil but the mineralized dirt itself can cause that.
I am constantly trying new things here and always working to get better because it is so strange around here.
That never ends.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice videos! Curious why you don't use the F75?
Would you say your Tesoro is faster at separating between iron and coins than the F70?

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Nice videos! Curious why you don't use the F75?
Would you say your Tesoro is faster at separating between iron and coins than the F70?

I don't use an F75 because someone offered me a new, never used F70 for $400 and I jumped on it when I was looking to upgrade.
Since then I have held an F75 here and there but it is different somehow, doesn't feel right...and I didn't like it.
Don't know why it felt wrong in my hands, they are pretty much the same weight, configuration and everything but it didn't.
I am not fond of that trigger either for some reason, probably my big clumsy hands and I am afraid I will break it but that is just me.
There are plenty of extras on the flagship, plus DST, but I don't really need them.
I learned to hunt with mine pretty well without them, don't think I could have done much better in the last few years if I had one.

Both Tesoros and Fishers have blazing speed.
Despite not having FA on mine or 1N I learned to hunt extremely well in trash and iron infested sites...especially iron, so it seems fast enough.
I bought an F2 and got into the fishers after using Tesoros mostly because I was looking for a backup with a screen to take on vacation and to lend out to anybody that might want to hunt with me and I went with the Fisher entry unit specifically because I read that it was fast...and it was.
The upper end Fishers might even be a bit faster.

I seem to be finding very masked targets around insane iron with both brands so not a whole lot of difference to me.
I still use my F70 more though...that screen does have some advantages the way I learned to understand the data I see along with the tones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but what is "FA" and "1N"?

Programs built into the newer upgraded F75's.
1N is for hunting in nails.
FA stands for fast audio or something like that.
It makes the thing even faster in response time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread