Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, not much discussion on the DeLeon, as of late. Anyone having much success lately?

As for me, even with my recent health problems, still getting out there a couple times a week for 45 min to an hour. That's about all I can take physically, and the evil knats and heat of south west Georgia. Always having to wear a knat net around my heat, metal detecting, fishing, or cutting grass. Just terrible. No, we don't have much cold weather, never snow, but we do have heat and knats.

When I do manage get out with my DeLeon, it continues to perform, a total winner. With 6 months of experience with this magnificent machine, I am nothing but happy. It takes about this long to learn the language of this machine. Ninety percent of the time it is speaking the truth, you just have to trust it. I dig a lot less trash now, but still recovering some nifty finds. Found a really nice silver looking key chain this week, with "Taurus" and dates clearly visible. Six inches deep. Range up a solid 95.

More clad, a cheap kids ring, a very damaged bracelet, and another wheat.

I did have a chance to use the DeLeon on a salt water beach, and I was not happy with the results. I tried a lot of settings, but it struggled. Did okay in the dry sand, back from the water a ways, but wet sand or semi dry sand was useless. So yes, the DeLeon is not perfect.

Order a Racer yesterday, and from what I have read, this should be my beach detector. In the next 8 months, my wife and I have 3 rv camping trips planned at the beach, a week at a time. So hopefully, all the treasure should be mine.

And to think, I used to fish.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern2 ,,,,,,,,,,,, try Banana Boat 50 sunscreen to repel those gnats ............ really works good for us over here in Mississippi ... I am waiting on a Deleon I bought on Ebay ,,,,,,,,,,,, really looking forward to using it ....... Good luck ..

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern2 ,,,,,,,,,,,, try Banana Boat 50 sunscreen to repel those gnats ............ really works good for us over here in Mississippi ... I am waiting on a Deleon I bought on Ebay ,,,,,,,,,,,, really looking forward to using it ....... Good luck ..

Thanks for the tip. Be leave it or not, Wed this week my daughter gave me some Banana Boat 50. I applied some around my eyes and ears, and didn't put the net on until close to the end. Good stuff.

Hey, I love my 5.75 coil on my DeLeon.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, I've been working ALOT so far this summer here but I did manage to get out for a late night/early morning hunt 2 weeks ago. 3am lol. I found quite a bit of clad for only hunting a 10x10 area outside one of the apartment buildings in my complex.
IMG_20170617_153836.jpg
Not a greatly successful hunt but it was nice to feel that rush again. Love this hobby!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holding a large coffee can, adding coins, feeling the weight increase, is addictive.
Kind of like finding arrowheads. First human to touch your find in no telling how long. Fun.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm doing it a little different this year.
I'm separating not only clad from pennies but also separating copper from the zinc pennies.
Copper by weight is worth more than the penny itself now so I'm separating them.
Will also make tumbling alot easier.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I hadn't thought about that. Excuse to get out there and dig some copper pennies. When the DeLeon tells you it's a penny, it's 100% accurate, unless it's a small piece of copper wire.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder who you would sell the copper pennies to.
From what I read, it's illegal to sell for scrap metal.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder who you would sell the copper pennies to.
From what I read, it's illegal to sell for scrap metal.

Just save the coppers for your grandkids. The newest coppers are now 35 years old.. :icon_sunny:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just save the coppers for your grandkids. The newest coppers are now 35 years old.. :icon_sunny:

Yep, and in better shape coming out of the ground compared to zincs that have only been in the ground for a decade, or less.....

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, and in better shape coming out of the ground compared to zincs that have only been in the ground for a decade, or less.....

It's sad when you dig a zinc that sounds really good but is only half a coin when you see it. :(

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stefan, you are right. There really are reasons to separate the copper from the zink pennies, to sell or save. I googled this subject and found a ton of information. Come to find out there are people who will purchase the copper pennies, pre 1982, and they are know as Penny Hoarders.

It seems there is a belief that in the near future the penny will be discontinued, and our government will want them out of circulation. To remove them as quickly as possible out of our economy, the government will allow them to be scrapped. This move will cause the price of copper to skyrocket.

Well, I don't know about all of this, but now I plan to do as Stefan, separate the pennies and hang on to the copper. Since my 7 yr old grandson is my hunting buddy, I'll leave them to him as his inheritance, and baby, one day he will be rich rich rich.

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, I have only had the Deleon out for about three hunts this summer. I've hunted around a couple of rent houses that I mow for. Not a whole lot of luck. Couple of Hot Wheels cars and a couple of old dog vaccination tags. Oh and some clad.
I'm kind of a fall/winter, kind of hunter. I just like it better here in Arkansas that time of the year. No bugs or snakes, and the ground is soft for digging. Thanks for the update. Keep on digging! WheatyMike.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, I know I'm getting off topic.....but my bet is a cashless society is in our future. Everything seems to be headed that way. I think it will be a slow transition, but definitely one I will see in my lifetime being in my mid 30's. I don't like the idea of everything I purchase or sell has a trail though....

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, I have only had the Deleon out for about three hunts this summer. I've hunted around a couple of rent houses that I mow for. Not a whole lot of luck. Couple of Hot Wheels cars and a couple of old dog vaccination tags. Oh and some clad.
I'm kind of a fall/winter, kind of hunter. I just like it better here in Arkansas that time of the year. No bugs or snakes, and the ground is soft for digging. Thanks for the update. Keep on digging! WheatyMike.

I am with you , Mike. When I first took up this hobby in Jan., a 3 hour or more hunt was not unusual. Now, with the knats and heat, 45 min is the norm. Can't wait for the on set of fall and winter. I even do 90% of my fishing in the winter.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, I know I'm getting off topic.....but my bet is a cashless society is in our future. Everything seems to be headed that way. I think it will be a slow transition, but definitely one I will see in my lifetime being in my mid 30's. I don't like the idea of everything I purchase or sell has a trail though....
I am pretty sure you are on to something with what you say. I'll be dead and gone, but my grands will see this happen.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is not much discussion on this site, I will tell you this a lot of discussions on other sites and other threads on this forum stating if you own the Deleon stick with this machine in comparisons of other detectors that some maybe looking into. I have read half a dozen threads pointing to the Deleon as a go to mid line and top machine to some of the heavy hitters out there, and many are saying they would never give it up, diffentily an unrated machine.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. It's a great beep and dig machine, even if you don't care for the VID. Personally, I love the numbers. It's the only thing I know.

I've been told twice by two Tesoro reps, that the DeLeon is their sleeper detector.

I wish there were more discussion on the Deleon, here and the other sites. But not much to read about. I think it's because the DeLeon is so good, there is nothing much to complain about. The other reason could be that most owners don't want to come across as bragging for fear of bad luck. Might get spooked.
It might mean that it's a very boring machine. Yo u just turn it on, and zap, within 3 seconds you're ready to find treasure.
The pin point may be too accurate. Depth reading too. Less accuracy and you get to dig a bigger hole. Now that's exciting! More sweat...

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't own a Deleon but would like to try one some day as well a few other Tesoro's out there. I noticed what does get a lot of attention is the Sand Shark and the Mojave lately and rightfully so, as I imagine there are those with high minerallization to content with and being a new detector and Sand Shard for beach hunting for this time of year. I don't hear much on the Golden uMax like it has last year as well as that has settled and not many up for sale on eBay noticed lately as well. I think you are right Vern on your analysis that as there is not much to complain about Tesoro. I think that is why it is a sleeper is other machines with there multitude of gadgets makes this a sleeper indeed. Thanks for posting at least I am not the only one out there that thinks the same.

Cheers!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have very little experience in terms of metal detecting. But it doesn't take much experience to know a great MD when you are swinging it.
Nope, not for salty beach use. Nope, not for highly mineralized soil. Probably not a gold detector.
But the DeLeon is surprisingly deep. When I run it in the red and adjust the threshold accordingly, it is as deep as I humanly want to dig. But I run it mostly at 6-8 sensitivity and just into the red on threshold.

The Deleon should be called a "beep, see, and dig" md.

And just to think we have a life time warranty. At 71, me thinks I'll be a-okay.
There is a pretty good reason that Tesoro offers this peace of mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread