pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, questions for those of you who have tried some aftermarket coils on their Tesoros.

Which are the best all-around of these brands: NEL/CORS, MARS, DETECH?

I've only tried one; a CORS "Fortune" in 5-pin. It's OK but a bit heavy for being small. Depth isn't great, but build quality is decent.

I see that they all just offer DD coils, and I'm really not looking to buy any of 'em right away. I am a little curious though, about the new Detech "ultimate" or a CORS "cannon" for my Tejon.

Just wondering which you-all have played with and what your thoughts are about the one(s) you used.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using NEL on Fishers for years. Suckers are heavier and heavier cabling.

Ive sworn off of foreign coils now, I got screwed on ebay with a "almost new" NEL five pin I thought Id try, horrible performance, looks new.

Contacted manufacturer, he said contact stateside dealer. I contacted stateside dealer and he said the serial number says its more than two years old, you're screwed. They offered a discount on a new one, I aint going down that road.

I'll stick with Tesoro coils from now on.

Broke a cable on a 11x8 RSD, my fault. Tesoro fixed it free no questions asked.

Jmho

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt mean to kill the topic....

john67

Mar 31, 2017
CONNEAUT LAKE PA
Detector(s) used
V3I, DEUS, E TRAC, XTERRA 705, AT PRO, CZ3D, TEJON, VAQUERO, F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the problem with tesoros is there so light any big aftermarket coil is gonna throw the balance off. the 11x8 is probably as good as it gets. my 5.75 concentric will get 7" on a silver dime in my so so soil. I got a half dollar at 11" in sandier soil by a stream once.

john67

Mar 31, 2017
CONNEAUT LAKE PA
Detector(s) used
V3I, DEUS, E TRAC, XTERRA 705, AT PRO, CZ3D, TEJON, VAQUERO, F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the problem with tesoros is there so light any big aftermarket coil is gonna throw the balance off. the 11x8 is probably as good as it gets. my 5.75 concentric will get 7" on a silver dime in my so so soil. I got a half dollar at 11" in sandier soil by a stream once with the small coil.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didnt mean to kill the topic....

KILLER!

No big deal. I'm sure somebody out there has tried some different coils on Tesoros. The CORS I have is OK but nothing special, and it's heavier than Tesoro coils close to that size. I see that some of the newer foreign coils may be a little lighter than the older models. I guess if they were really good though, we'd be hearing more about 'em.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nel/cors coils which are heavy and more shielded then the tesoro coils only work well on the "hot" machines, Tejon, Vaquero and Cibola which seemed to have the juice to push them much better than the 5pins. The snake coil on my Tejon/Vaquero is an excellent coil with depth in par as the 5.75 concentric and great separation.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've considered these aftermarket coils for both my tesoros and my nokta/make machines.
However I had an awesome epiphony this year. Until I use all coils and combos I have I'm done buying lol.
Reason being is besides testing and one hunt each I have machines I haven't even used yet lol. Also could I haven't used on all machines I have.
Seems dumb for me to buy more right now.
Same reason I didn't jump on the impact train yet lol.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was kicking around getting a NEL/Core shrew/snake to try out on the Mojave,
and see how it compares to rthe 7" and 4" Tesoro coils on some trash test targets I have buried.
Think I'll probably just end up getting a clean sweep though.:dontknow:
Definitely more than happy with the Mojave just wanting something to
test and tinker with.

Noah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread