Oneway signal and bump signal

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
This morning I was hunting with my new Vaquero when I would swing oneway and get a strong signal but when I swung over the same spot again I didn't get another signal. I could imediately swing several times over the same spot but I didn't get another signal. Is this a normal way of discriminating.
I was super tuned with a slightly negative GB in the discriminate mode set barely above iron.
I also noticed that when I would bump into heavy grass or limbs I would get a signal. Also is this normal?
As a side note I have hunted twice with the Vaquero and really enjoy it. Thanks for any input.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our dirt here is so bad, the ground balance changes over a foot or two enough, that the detector thinks its a target when you sweep across it. It usually is a one way signal.

The coil's depth extends just as far above the coil as it does below it therefore it's important to secure your cable and connector.

OP
OP
TerryEastTexas

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The cable and connector are secure. The soil I have is mild to moderate. I had a Troy X5 that would beep on the first pass of a target then discriminate it out on the second pass. I was wondering if the Vaquero was doing the same thing.

Pablo1961

Greenie
Mar 22, 2017
New Baden
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism
Whites V3i
Tesoro Outlaw
Corteś
LST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my ground balance is set too negative, I will get a bump signal. I recommend power balancing the machine.

Pablo1961

Greenie
Mar 22, 2017
New Baden
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism
Whites V3i
Tesoro Outlaw
Corteś
LST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slowly pumping the coil above the ground, will turning the GB negative until the machine pops or becomes unstable. Then slowly turning it positive until the machine quiets. This is done in DISC mode. Please look this up, was created by Monte, of Nail Board fame.

OP
OP
TerryEastTexas

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Slowly pumping the coil above the ground, will turning the GB negative until the machine pops or becomes unstable. Then slowly turning it positive until the machine quiets. This is done in DISC mode. Please look this up, was created by Monte, of Nail Board fame.
Thanks Pablo1961. I will look it up.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground Balancing a Tesoro..

Trickiest part is finding a clean spot of ground without any metal trash... Once you've found that, set threshold so it has a low hum; no matter where. Sensitivity around 8-9 should be fine. With detector in AM (all-metal), hold coil about 8" above ground, then quickly lower and raise again. If your threshold goes QUIETER as you get the coil closer to ground, detector is negative, so you need to turn the knob clockwise. If threshold gets LOUDER as coil approaches ground, then it's set too positive and you need to turn the knob counter-clockwise. In all-metal, you want the detector fairly neutral, so sound doesn't change much when bobbing the coil.

Once you have it set properly in all-metal, try a "power balance" in disc mode. Set your Tesoro the same way, but in disc mode, again bob the coil up & down from 8", and listen... if it makes no sound when bobbing, turn the GB knob counter-clockwise (negative), until it does make a light chirp when quickly lifting the coil up. Stop.
If it starts out chirping while bobbing the coil, turn the GB knob clockwise so that you just barely hear that chirp.. A vey slight chirp is what you want when ground balancing in disc mode. Doing that in disc mode, will make your setting more negative than it was by setting it in all-metal, but will give you best depth in disc mode. You may need to check again a few times as you move around, to keep the detector at optimum tune.

Hope that helped and wasn't confusing. You'll be pretty speedy at ground balancing after a few tries.

Monte's technique is slightly different, but just about the same.. I believe he does his balance at minimal disc, whereas I do it set just before where nickels disc out.
It's probably just a little more negative the way I do it, and it runs a little more chirpy. I like it set that way in most places. If I get into hot rocks, I go just a bit more positive and turn sensitivity down. I lose depth that way, but it's all you can do in lots of hot rocks..

BTW - I never run any Tesoro "super-tuned"; just run GB and sensitivity right on the edge. Works for me. :sunny:

OP
OP
TerryEastTexas

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trickiest part is finding a clean spot of ground without any metal trash... Once you've found that, set threshold so it has a low hum; no matter where. Sensitivity around 8-9 should be fine. With detector in AM (all-metal), hold coil about 8" above ground, then quickly lower and raise again. If your threshold goes QUIETER as you get the coil closer to ground, detector is negative, so you need to turn the knob clockwise. If threshold gets LOUDER as coil approaches ground, then it's set too positive and you need to turn the knob counter-clockwise. In all-metal, you want the detector fairly neutral, so sound doesn't change much when bobbing the coil.

Once you have it set properly in all-metal, try a "power balance" in disc mode. Set your Tesoro the same way, but in disc mode, again bob the coil up & down from 8", and listen... if it makes no sound when bobbing, turn the GB knob counter-clockwise (negative), until it does make a light chirp when quickly lifting the coil up. Stop.
If it starts out chirping while bobbing the coil, turn the GB knob clockwise so that you just barely hear that chirp.. A vey slight chirp is what you want when ground balancing in disc mode. Doing that in disc mode, will make your setting more negative than it was by setting it in all-metal, but will give you best depth in disc mode. You may need to check again a few times as you move around, to keep the detector at optimum tune.

Hope that helped and wasn't confusing. You'll be pretty speedy at ground balancing after a few tries.

Monte's technique is slightly different, but just about the same.. I believe he does his balance at minimal disc, whereas I do it set just before where nickels disc out.
It's probably just a little more negative the way I do it, and it runs a little more chirpy. I like it set that way in most places. If I get into hot rocks, I go just a bit more positive and turn sensitivity down. I lose depth that way, but it's all you can do in lots of hot rocks..

BTW - I never run any Tesoro "super-tuned"; just run GB and sensitivity right on the edge. Works for me. :sunny:

Thanks pinenut. I appreciate you posting that.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cable and connector are secure. The soil I have is mild to moderate. I had a Troy X5 that would beep on the first pass of a target then discriminate it out on the second pass. I was wondering if the Vaquero was doing the same thing.

In moderate soil, ground balance your machine while in All Metal, and with your sensitivity set to 7. All this bugaboo about slight negative ground balance is complete non-sense for a new Vaquero user like yourself. Ground balance the machine to where it is perfect - not negative, not positive, perfectly neutral. Set the Discrim to just below Nickel, and pump your sensitivity no higher than 8.

One way signals are GARBAGE. Move on. Big Gold to you! :skullflag:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hogwash, horse-hooey and..

In moderate soil, ground balance your machine while in All Metal, and with your sensitivity set to 7. All this bugaboo about slight negative ground balance is complete non-sense for a new Vaquero user like yourself. Ground balance the machine to where it is perfect - not negative, not positive, perfectly neutral. Set the Discrim to just below Nickel, and pump your sensitivity no higher than 8.

One way signals are GARBAGE. Move on. Big Gold to you! :skullflag:

Balderdash (with all due respect, of course). :toothy4:

One way signals can be worth digging, and sometimes mean a good target under the coil next to another being disc'd out.

Setting GB in all-metal will get you a too-positive setting in disc mode, on several Tesoros. It's been said that Tesoro does that so your machine will run most quietly in disc, but it's not an optimum tune 'cause it was set for all-metal mode..not disc.

A more negative ground balance usually means a more "talkative" machine, but they'll also get you more depth and a stronger target response, most noticible on larger coins. Running a little negative is actually part of how many people "super-tune" their Vaquero, only when you also turn threshold up, you lose modulation helping to indicate depth. I just run slightly negative and sensitivity fairly high, at least on Vaquero. Too positive on the GB and response to shallow, larger coins will be poorer. Sounds strange, but that's what I see anyway.
It's really noticeable on my Outlaw, where if I run neutral in AM with sensitivity a little too high, shallow quarters won't sound like good targets in disc mode. Go a little negative on the GB (power balance) and response to quarters is much better. Doing a "power-balance" does work! We can thank Monte Berry for coining the term, but I'd bet that plenty of other folks have tuned their manually adjustable GB machines similarly over the years.

For someone who just got their Vaquero, tune it the way your manual tells you... THEN EXPERIMENT, once you get more used to using it.

I suggest everyone try both ways and see where you get best depth and target response.. I like my GB a little negative. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread