Vaquero or Mohave ?

zone3799

Greenie
Jun 23, 2008
Melbourne - Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Garrett / Sea Hunter MK11
Hi everone , I have a Vaquero and several coils , mainly use the 5.75 . I mainly Coinshoot and choice is the Vaquero with 5.75 . My question is would the Mohave be a better choice to get in and around sites that have a lot of trash and also for discrimination purposes or ? I am finding unless my Vaquero discrimination is set at 3 oclock trying to decifer pulltabs and bottle tops reign supreme! I still on occasions find small Silvers but only if I discriminate just b4 tab on the dial ..... Also my hearing is not fantastic �� .

A LOT TO DECIFER BUT YOUR OPINIONS MATTER , rgds Marty in Oz !

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
That depends on a lot of things.
If your soil is good and without insane amounts of iron your Vaq should be great especially with that small coil...if it is a concentric.
With the true 180 ED the Mojave, or the Compadre, is a bit better around intense iron masking.

To be honest the Mojave seems to like pop tops and smashed screw on tops a little more than I like, many sound pretty good and don't seem to disc out but I am still messing with the settings so I will figure it out.
In my case it is my bad dirt doing most if this, it is mineralized and infested with iron and on the Mojave this causes up averaging on all targets that aren't shallow...in regular better dirt I assume this would not be such an issue at all.

The Vaq is deeper than the Mojave but for most normal depths on targets both should do fine.

The Vaq has an option to go to the high tone if yours is not, specifically designed for the more hard of hearing.
Mine was ordered with the high tone but I found I liked the lower tone of my Compadre and Mojave better...however I never changed it because over aluminum listening to that high tone it has a very annoying component in that tone so I kept it that way.
A little more efficient for hunting in the very trashy parks I usually spend my time in.

The Mojave is a bit more sensitive to small gold, tiny silver and maybe thin chains but all of that is below that disc setting you are using.
You are missing a ton of that the way you are doing it but that is just fine if that us the way you want to do this hobby so no advantage getting the Mojave on that subject.

If that 5.75 coil is a DD I can see why you are having trouble with pop tops, if it is indeed a concentric you should be able to disc out most of them a hair before max disc on the Vaq.
If you are the kind of user that sets a disc level and digs everything above that setting that beeps you are going to be digging tons of tab and pop top trash, I won't do that so I found a better way..for me.
If you don't know about this method I would look into it, it works well on the three Tesoros I have used including the Vaq.
You won't avoid all trash, about 15-20% still comes in solid, and there is a possibility of missing a few great things if you don't dig most signals but my track record became so good doing it this way I don't worry about missing a few things here and there...I still seem to find more than my share.
I still dig tabs and even a couple of older pop tops but a whole lot less than I used to when I switched to using this up-down thumbing method.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...r-27-s-method-thumbing-disc-knob-up-down.html

IF you were more of a gold and really tiny silver or chain jewelry hunter a move to a Mojave could be considered a smart one...but you are not that kind of hunter.
For what you are doing and the way you are doing it the Vaq should fill all your needs.
If it were me I would spend that Mojave money on two other things instead.
Get a 5.75 concentric if the one you own is a DD...if it is a concentric you are fine.
There are methods you can use to ID pop tops on the Vaq using a DD coil but they take a little more time than I prefer and I just ended up digging them so if I know I am hunting spots with tons of pop tops using my Vaq I just switched to concentric coils...or used another detector that can handle them better.

$15 plus shipping one way to Tesoro to get the Vaq changed to the high tone option for original owners, add $35 to that if that Vaq is second hand.
For the hard of hearing this might be money well spent either way.
Here is a vid where you can hear the high tone option on the Vaq.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dT0-TRpqaBM

If you do have the concentric coil try that thumbing method...that costs nothing and it might enable you to avoid a whole lot of those tabs and pop tops you appear to be digging now.

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could buy both and still be cheaper than most and the lifetime warranty makes it a no brainer and you would have two great machines.....

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could buy both and still be cheaper than most and the lifetime warranty makes it a no brainer and you would have two great machines.....

OP
OP
Z

zone3799

Greenie
Jun 23, 2008
Melbourne - Australia
Detector(s) used
Thank you for great replies ! Yes I have the Concentric 5.75 , today was the 1st day I have had discrim so high ! Usually its just before tab , but these days sites are so trash infested I decided today to try something different thats all , its not my usual approach ! I will definately try the thumbing method and next time set discrim back a bit . Many thanks again from Australia.

OP
OP
Z

zone3799

Greenie
Jun 23, 2008
Melbourne - Australia
Detector(s) used
In Australia Tesoro is so overpriced , the few dealers we have seem to change alot ! We do not have any Tesoro repair here at all , everything has to be sent over your way , there is no service / repair in Australia ! Now for a sample of our prices here , the " dealers " sell a Compadre for au $359.99!! Heres proof ..

TESORO COMPADRE METAL DETECTOR-4" CONCENTRIC COIL-MODIFIED-SENS COIL CHANGE MODS

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You already have the Vaquero, dont waste money on a Mojave.

Also your 4 pin Vaquero coils will not fit the 5 pin Mojave.

If you're overwhelmed with the Vaquero in some areas, turn the sucker down! It's too hot. The Mojave ain't as hot as the Vaquero, probably why some thinks it run quieter....

:occasion14:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
And after checking that Video , my Vaquero is definately low tone !

Then just stick with it but get better at understanding how those pop tops behave using your concentric coil.
The bulk of them will disc out, not a huge difference between max disc and where these come in thumbing down, as I said just a hair, but there is a difference.
Using the Vaq and your concentric by thumbing you should avoid the bulk of these things plus it works pretty much the same for me on most trash including tabs....they come in a bit noisier than good targets do which usually just...appear.
Not all trash comes in noisy, not all good targets come in clean but if you can avoid 75-80% or more of this garbage confidently and still find most of the good stuff that is huge...to me, anyway.

Here is a hunt in a park I spend a lot of time in and this is what I found on my very first hunt using a DD coil.
Found some clad too and I was digging every signal on this hunt learning this new coil but nowadays this kind of digging would force me right out of the hobby.
What I didn't dig that day was iron and this park is infested with that too.
Now I hunt the same site have constantly for over 2 years but I learned how to avoid most of this kind of trash, and that iron, and still find great things including bucket list items with both my Fishers and my Tesoros.
It can be done, just have to put your mind to it.

Attachments

• photostudio_1500821243449.jpg
    photostudio_1500821243449.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger, thanks for the info, I needed it too.
I used to get fooled much much more on nickels and pull tabs on my DeLeon. Until I figured out the higher sound of tabs and caps, and the lower tone of a nickel.
Same for dimes, quarters , and flattened bottle caps and most can slaw.
Do I still dig my fair share of junk? Heck yes! Just less.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Field test on the Mojave on W&E Treasure this month!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is the Mojave on beach hot rocks? When I was out there appears it was picking up both on the Compadre 8" and Vaquero 5.75" How would the Mojave have been on hot rocks at the beach...appears my C & V where hitting them and quit often, wondering how good would have the Mojave had been here...

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my vaquero a few years and just bought a Fisher F75 when I heard of the recent price drop. My hearing isn't good so having the display is a godsend! Being able to select tones and lower their frequency makes a huge difference. While I like the Vaquero a lot, the F75 is such a better machine for me I doubt I'll go back to using it. I'm in silver mine country and now able to pass up all the iron to NOT dig because of the tones and target ID numbers. Not to take away from a great machine if you have the ears for it, but consider the F75 for just a bit more for a whole lot more capability. Don't flame me, I'm trying to be helpful to a fellow hearing impaired detectorist!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions