Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading some mixed reviews, I'm really interested in hearing Pros and Cons from actual Cortes users. I think the most interesting review I read stated that this machine was overpriced in today's market? Thoughts?

I too would like to read what others have to say about the Cortes. Not much has been written of this probably great metal detector. I'm thinking most folks settled on a DeLeon, just like I did, and are very happy. Larger visuals and screen, and less complicated.

Yeah Cortes owners, tell us what you think. If it's better than the DeLeon, then golddarn, it must be out of this world great.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Justin, I just found a very very interesting review of the Cortes on You Tube. Just type in: Tesoro Cortes Introduction you tube. It will be the first one that comes up. There are also others, but this one is the best. I think his name is John Hailand

I found out some things that I didn't know, like the SUM mode, and notching. The Cortes has several features that the DeLeon doesn't have. How useful they would be, I don't know, but I don't believe Tesoro would have included these features for nothing.

After watching that video and several others, I find myself a little pumped about the Cortes. Shoot fire, this is terrible.

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

I have a Cortes and I can tell you this. It seems complicated at first but once you start using it, it's like second nature. it is very sensitive on gold in the park! I was in my front yard and found a 1954 Franklin half dollar, and that is all that I needed for me to know that this detector means serious business! I will admit that it probably isn't their best selling detector by any stretch of the imagination, but it can handle with the likes of the Deus, E-Trac, and various other detectors costing $1K+.

OP
OP
Justin@motreasurehunter
Feb 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Mojave, Garret AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Vern, I have watched every YouTube review of the Cortes; there isn't many to be found. John's review is pretty good.

I've a Garrett AT Max preordered but I definitely want to have a go at the Cortes. I asked a local dealer about ordering one alongside my AT Max preorder and he said he's been having difficulties getting any Tesoro machine from the distributor.

Maybe I can find a deal on eBay.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the D and the Cortez. The Cortez offers a little more info on the screen and has ground balance in the AM mode. The DeLeon has a larger display which is helpful for older eyes and is a bit simpler as to settings, but I haven't seen any edge in depth or general performance either over the other. Both have plenty of depth in the soil I usually detect.
luvsdux

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Later on this afternoon I talked to a Tesoro rep about the Cortes vs the DeLeon. Good guy. For the hunting I do, he pretty well convinced me that it wouldn't be advantageous for me to spend $600+ on a new machine. I agree.

Justin, if I were starting from scratch, I would probably choose the Cortes. Gb in all metal, and SUM feature.
But make no mistake, I really love my DeLeon. I agree with what Ivan said above, about the larger screen being good for older eyes. This is me. Proud of it too.

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had both machines. I liked them both, but the Deleon is all you really need. The Cortes is a nice machine, but I feel it's way over priced for what you get. Look at what the competition offers at that price point, or less. I'm not a big Fisher fan, but can't you get a new F75 for less? And isn't the new Nokta Impact priced the same? The Cortes is a good $300-$400 machine but that's it, IMHO.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come on Dan. That would place the Cortes and Deleon, in the same class as the ACE 250 and ACE 300.
No way, no how, in Garrett 's wildest dreams. Imho

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really think the Cortes is on the same level as the Impact or F75? Because it's priced like it is.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know Dan, I just don't know. No experience with the detectors you named.
Maybe the OP can still get the help he needs to make a wise decision.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He will enjoy either machine. I had fun with both, but I bought them used, so that made more sense.

OP
OP
Justin@motreasurehunter
Feb 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Vaquero, but hated when I was without it while it was being repaired, that's why I'm buying another machine. When I find a used Cortes for a realistic price (for my budget) I'll jump at it. I don't know too many Cortes owners and really curious about their honest opinions.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Justin, vibes from this forum and another, and I've read about every post written about the D &C, is that the DeLeon is all you need. Most who have owned both, give a little hint that the D is the keeper. "That's just my take, anyway."

I quote Rusty, from Tesoro, in a phone conversation. "If I were heading out and needed a VID machine, I take a DeLeon. "
This might not be verbatim, but it's very close.

That's two Tesoro reps that have stated to me by phone that they prefer the larger screen and simplicity of the D.

Hope this helps. I love my D and she and I shall never part. However, it's recently experiencing some stiff competition from my Red Racer. Imho, both are fantastic metal detectors.

Austin, there is a slim possibility you might find a used Cortes for sale. Even slimmer would be the Deleon.
Gotta be quick if one does present itself.
Good luck!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought both of mine used. Been very satisfied with both. Couldn't afford the C at the time I traded for the D (thinking it was a little sister, to the C so to speak), but quickly found out it held its own very well. I like both machines, but lean a bit more to the D.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Justin@motreasurehunter
Feb 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a used Cortes for $200 - should be arriving in the next few days. I’m pretty excited to test it out and give you guys a review.

OP
OP
Justin@motreasurehunter
Feb 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cortes had some stability issues and I sent it to Rusty for a check-up. The problems were the discrimination not working and the machine being super chattery. Also the machine didn’t startup as described in the manual, instead it just gave false signals and chirped. I Hope to get it back next week with a clean bill of health.

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cortes had some stability issues and I sent it to Rusty for a check-up. The problems were the discrimination not working and the machine being super chattery. Also the machine didn’t startup as described in the manual, instead it just gave false signals and chirped. I Hope to get it back next week with a clean bill of health.

Hi
I have a Cortes and it is great machine, did use Tesoro a few years ago and then thought it would be a good idea to go down the Minelab route, first the Safari then the SE, but after a while just found they could not compete (in my view) with the Tesoro machines.
So bought a Cortes and could not be any happier, my finds rate has doubled.

The Sum mode is really helpful, and pinpointing as usual spot on.
But I must admit the screen is a bit on the small size, but I do go by the audio and shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread