DeLeon impresses

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got this machine out on the new-to-us lawn, and have to say I am impressed. Three times in a row, it locked up at 95, and I dug three clad dimes. Fourth signal was bouncing from 80 to 95 and it turned out to be an old brass address number 6 -- or 9. Our address is 960. Earlier I had a signal in the zinc zone, and sure enough it was a rotting zinc penny. This may be the most accurate machine I have ever used. Can't wait to pull my first silver with it.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoooa. .....the secret is out. The mighty Deleon.

Bill, glad to read your report. Brought a smile to my face. I really wanted you to like this machine, from the get go.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, you can bet I will cover very square inch of this yard. House was built in 1956. Might wait for our heat wave to subside as it is predicted to hit 116 here in southern Oregon today.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, 116, are you kidding me. I don't know, for some reason I always thought Oregon was wet and on the cool side.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, parts of Oregon are typically mild and wet, but August in Southern Oregon can get almost as warm as the Central Valley of California:

National Weather Service

Wow. Bill, how do you even breath with such extreme heat? Forget metal detecting. Heatstroke.

There is a huge difference in weather in South Georgia and North Georgia. But not to that extreme.

Stay indoors buddy, the Deleon and treasure can wait.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll enjoy the DeLeon. Mine is as accurate (or more) at reasonable depth as any other tid detector I've used. If you get a reading that bounces between coin indications with a junk or two mixed in, always dig. 3 times out of 5 you'll uncover a coin spill.
luvsdux

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I like to see is a 95, full bar, and a squiggle line. Dig every time. Bottle cap, coin, or jewelry.

Early on, I watched a video review of the Deleon. Reviewer said if there is a swiggle line, don't dig. I hesitate to think what I missed adhering to this advice. Yes, you will dig bottle caps, but man I gotta dig. Found a small piece of jewelry yesterday, and it was spot on what I just stated.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice guys. I'll go back and dig some targets I passed on.
Vern, regarding the heat, we only got to 111 yesterday, but the humidity was only 10-12 percent. That's what makes it pretty easy to take. Bigger health issue is rising particulate pollution from the lightning-caused wildfires burning in the region. August in the Northwest.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, news of the heat in your part of Oregon was in our local paper this morning. They didn't even mention your name. Jerks! Man owns a Deleon, that should be huge news to attract readers to read about the weather. Go figure.

On a serious note, and this may be a dumb questions. Does the smoke from the wild fires cloud the sky? Is there any hint of a smoky smell?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, the smoke is not bad right now in our area -- air quality downgraded to moderate and only a hint of smoke smell. I have seen it so bad some fire seasons that the sun is a red disc and you can look directly at it. There is a fire complex burning just over the border in Modoc County, California, right now that is putting out so much smoke that it is generating what they call pyrocumulus clouds so massive they generate their own lightning, which just makes matters worse.
It bears mentioning that this sort of heat makes things really tough on our wildland firefighters. They are already dealing with very steep terrain, smoke inhalation, angry yellowjackets, rattlesnakes and the lung-burning smoke from poison oak as it is consumed by fire. Those young men and women earn their pay!

Last edited:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn. That's some serious stuff going on. Fighting wildfires is not for sissies. The sacrifices that these brave firefighters must be enormous. I can only imagine.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got the DeLeon out for about an hour today on the lawn. Found 7 coins and an old Samsonite key, all hitting pretty hard on 95. The Rosie was a 1971, while the six Lincoln cents were early to mid-196os, so I am thinking it is a matter of time before I pull silver and wheaties. The DeLeon did confuse me on one target -- what seemed like several sub-targets all hitting 95. Turned out to be badly rusted mail parts. I had hopes it was a coin spill. Think I have to pay more dues before I have that wonderful privilege. My tuning follows Rusty's advice to Vern. I am setting the threshold in all metal to where there is almost a solid hum, and setting sensitivity around 6-7 and discriminate to foil. Like this machine more and more each time I use it.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out for another 25 minutes, and four more Lincoln memorial cents, a 1960 D, a 1964 and two zincs that I knew would be zincs. The sandy/decomposed granite soil here is a joy to dig in.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go, Bill. DeLeon seems to be coming along for you.

Hey, if you don't get too much chatter, try the sensitivity at 10.
While I've had great success at 3-7, I'm killing it even more at 10. Might be too hot for your soil, but think about trying it anyway.

Thanks for your update.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, will do. One thing I am noticing is the depth indication is off a bit. A lot of these targets are down about five inches, while the depth indicator says 7-8 inches. Does this match your experience?

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure do Bill. Two things, and maybe more, attribute to this phenomenon.
First and foremost, I swing my coil 1 to 3" from the soil, especially in grass. So there is my 2" difference right there.

Secondly, and I bet you know this. Larger the target, shallower the read. Louder too. That's why those great big pull tabs and flattened bottle caps give such an explosive ring.
The depth indicator reads 2" and you still digging at 8".

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back out for about an hour with sensitivity at 9 and was definitely catching fainter signals. I am not digging anything that doesn't bounce at least from the 70s to 95, so may be overlooking worthwhile hits. Found a funny little piece of what looks like a cloisonné crescent moon, an earring, a zinc, a 1966 memorial and a 1952D wheat, plus the big skeleton key that was loud I almost tripped over it. Here's the loot from the past couple of days, with some zincs already in the garbage can. Even more certain there is something silver in the lawn somewhere. Wife recently requested a divorce, so it is nice to leave troubles behind and look for stuff with the DeLeon for an hour here and there.

fullsizeoutput_8d8 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Last edited:

Gary41

Greenie
Jul 22, 2015
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you guys keep this up I'm going to end up with a DeLeon. I've been wanting a TID machine to play with and now only have the Outlaw, Mojave and a Lobo. Bill I have not done much hunting in Ashland but just met and fellow detectorist in Medford today and she said she has done well in Lithia Park. As goofy as city govt is in Ashland I would have thought MD would not be allowed in the park. I know they will not allow my dog in the park. Have you tried it there? Hope to meet you someday Bill. Gary, Jacksonville.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, way to go (again). I can't wait to read a post where you dug 25 and more coins in a 3 hour hunt. Tot lots and ball fields will get you there, also old city and county parks. I know you know this, just humorous advice on my part.

Hey, 32- 33, ninety % nickels. If on edge, 32 to 38, bouncing back and forth. If you see 27 even once, 1/2 pull tab. Everytime.

Well, 99% of the time. I found my daughter's gold tulip ring, lost for 12 years, in my backyard at 7". Yep. Hit at 26-27-28.

Wishing you the best with your personal life. That would be tough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread