Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've spent 95% of my first six months metal detecting with the Deleon, set at these numbers:
Sensitivity = 3-6; threshold 11:00; just at foil.

I've made a conscious decision to now hunt sensitivity at 10, and thumb up to red on weak sounds. Threshold 01:00 - 03:00.

This morning, during a 3 hour hunt, using these settings, in an area I've hunted several times, I was satisfied with the results.

Digging deeper holes than usual, I found 22 coins plus a piece of junk jewerly. No silver, but boy was I close.
7 dimes, and all were late sixties except 1, and it was a 1977.
1 quarter at 1967.
3 nickels, 1971, 67, and 68.
8 of the 11 pennies were 1982 or earlier.

So pals, I can't help but think I am getting close to some good stuff. Gotta turn some of the weak signals in to a stronger one. This is the same area I found my only silver, a 1929 Merc., and two wheaties.

Also dug a few very deep bottle caps. Deeper than my Makro PP.

Perhaps reports like this one will encourage you Deleon and Cortes users our there. I know the stuff I found was not great, but I believe the method is sound.

Last edited:

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bury the merc that you found at different depths and conduct tests for your settings. I am with you on the spot where you found silver. It is most likely whomever detecting before you was lazy in their search patterns and missed that area is as to why there is still silver in the ground if it is a public area. It has potential to yield a few more silvers. Trees are my latest favorite spot, apparently I was not the only one that avoided them like the plague, my last 8 silver coins came from in around tree roots., not deep, all less than 5" deep but time consuming as you can't just cut a plug,I use a butter knife and a long handled spoon to extract them in between the roots. If your 1967 quarter was deeper, it explains why you dug a quarter at a sensitivity setting of 10.Conduct tests and wishing many finds your way.....

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Bibelot, I guess I need to add a spoon and butter knife to my finds bucket. Makes sense my friend. I too love to hunt around trees. My best silver ring was dug at 3" next to a large tree.

The 1967 quarter was as deep as my pin pointer. Almost gave up on it, thinking it was probably a large flatten bottle cap.

Thanks for the tip on burying the silver dime. Gonna do that this afternoon.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread