GB or not to GB

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If the detector is responding to the ground then yes. If not responding then there will be no advantage.
I assume you are running a threshold tone.that will tell you if the machine is responding to the ground.
If response is negative then Gb will help. If GB is positive just slightly then detection depth may be quite good but if it is strongly positive or blanking then significant detection depth will be lost and or the target signal may be difficult to hear over the ground noise.

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks i will give it a try. If i remember correctly it's positive down and neg up for testing GB.

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to check all my coils (3) for my golden µmax. Plan on getting the OUTLAW this fall if i can swing it:happysmiley:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll get better depth in practially any soil, with an adjustable GB machine. When soil is mild, you can run sensitivity higher and the GB more negative, without any falsing. Running a bit more negative on the GB will get you more depth and better target response, contrary to what some people say..

OP
OP
nagant

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you pinenut, good clear explanation. Getting an outlaw next month hopefully. Will keep the Golden µ but send it in with the 8 inch concentric and have it checked over and tuned.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use a tesero but I hunt in some very mild ground and when my machine is balanced its deeper and if I neg gb it its even deeper but it becomes to sparky for me. So from my test from another brand a machine is deeper in mild soil with a proper gb like Pinenut said above.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use a tesero but I hunt in some very mild ground and when my machine is balanced its deeper and if I neg gb it its even deeper but it becomes to sparky for me. So from my test from another brand a machine is deeper in mild soil with a proper gb like Pinenut said above.

Exactly

You're fine unless you end up in a situation where the coil and machine is positive, depth is horrible. I opened up my Cibola and set it a hair negative with the largest coil, making it more negative with the smallest coil. I was at a friend's hunt and found it was still positive, went to car, grabbed a screwdriver, made it negative at his location and been ok ever sense.

I ordered a potentiometer for external GB but haven't installed it yet. The internal adjustment will let go soon I'm sure.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread