Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I picked up a tesoro sand shark and have about 8 hours now of use with it. I found two silver chains in about 4 feet of water at the beach. I find the tesoro to be heavier than my ctx or my excals. I was wondering if anyone has tried the graphite shafts and if they find that it makes a difference? Also what about the pouch that Tesoro sells that looks like it mounts to a belt? Thanks

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering the same thing. I have both an Excal (with the carbon shaft that puts the electronics behind the elbow) and a Sand Shark. I am interested to an Anderson Straight Shaft for the Sand Shark. The upgrade on the Excal was worth the expense, so I am thinking it will be worth it for the SS. I want to see what everyone else says. I believe Terry_Solomon ( and a few others) is a big fan of the Sand Shark. I am sure he will have a lot of input. Great Question Slider66

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Belt mount pouch takes weight off the machine, but then it feels a bit nose heavy. Balance is great with the control box at the back, right under your arm. Mine has the bigger coil and swings just fine with the box mounted in the rear position.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Graphite rods are a huge waste of money. I hated the straight shaft, Just put the box on your wading belt, the strap fits right through the pole mounts.:skullflag:

goodtimecharlie

Aug 11, 2012
winfield,ks.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600-Tesoro Mojave-Tesoro Tiger Shark- TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
I made a straight shaft for my Tiger Shark been on there for years and I love it makes the Tiger feel light as air compared to the stock set up. 003.JPG 003.JPG

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Belt mount pouch takes weight off the machine, but then it feels a bit nose heavy. Balance is great with the control box at the back, right under your arm. Mine has the bigger coil and swings just fine with the box mounted in the rear position.

It is true that the balance is better with the box mounted on the rear however when I go detecting I go 8 to 12 hours at a time. I have no problem swinging that amount of time with my excals with the straight graphite shafts. My ctx I can go 6 to 7 hours in the water but the sand shark is heavy when mounted on the middle shaft and a little heavy mounted to the rear. I wanted to get some other input on the straight shaft. Thanks for all the input.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I picked up a tesoro sand shark and have about 8 hours now of use with it. I found two silver chains in about 4 feet of water at the beach. I find the tesoro to be heavier than my ctx or my excals. I was wondering if anyone has tried the graphite shafts and if they find that it makes a difference? Also what about the pouch that Tesoro sells that looks like it mounts to a belt? Thanks

Follow-up to my question about shafts. I purchased a Graphite straight shaft from Plugger. I am very happy with it and the weight displacement is so much better. The box when placed at the end of the shaft is so much lighter. I would compare it to the balance on my Excal's with the graphite straight shaft. I would recommend this to anyone who finds the Tesoro sandshark heavy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread