Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi gang,
Well, it looks like I'll be adding another Tesoro to my tribe. There's one for sale, slightly used. I'm hoping it hasn't sold yet and it's real cheap!

I had a Tejon years ago but sold it due to other things.

What I like about the Tejon is it's ability to punch deep into the ground especially after it's been super tuned.

Anyway, any of you Tejon users out there, give a shout and how you like to set yours for gold and silver and any tricks up your sleeves.

By the way, what is the coil to use to get maximum depth for this detector? It comes with the stock spoked concentric.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the 12x10 dd.

After I learned how to super tune correctly it is my go to detector for the deeper items. I've been over a spot or two with my f75 and then dug up Deep wheats and not so deep silver with the tejon. Disc will lose lots of depth but I've also found one of my best silver coins with main disc set to scap......and only 8 sens..

I listen for the faint but smooth signals with disc set at foil. Usually these end up being good targets I've found along the way so far. I love the tejon after just a bout 100 hrs on it.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips!
I called the detecting store just now and they sold the used one. They have a new one for $529.00 but not sure I want to dish out that much money.
The slightly used one was selling for $250.00

The search begins for a used Tejon for sale. :-)

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just be patient and use what you have.
You will run across the right deal with patience

Hey Stefan! Nice seeing you again! How have you been?
I put a Want To Buy request on another message board and someone just sold me their near mint Tejon for less than half the cost of a new one.

I had a Tejon years ago and wish I never sold it but, that's life, right? :dontknow:

Found some nice, deep coins with the old one I had. I hope this one will punch just as deep or deeper. Isnt detecting fun? If it weren't I'd probably be into basket weaving. LOL!

Anyone use a favorite coil for depth on their Tejon?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the 12x10 dd.

After I learned how to super tune correctly it is my go to detector for the deeper items. I've been over a spot or two with my f75 and then dug up Deep wheats and not so deep silver with the tejon. Disc will lose lots of depth but I've also found one of my best silver coins with main disc set to scap......and only 8 sens..

I listen for the faint but smooth signals with disc set at foil. Usually these end up being good targets I've found along the way so far. I love the tejon after just a bout 100 hrs on it.

Hi HighVDI, (I like your name!). Thanks for the tip. It's been a while since I swung a Tejon. It is a really simple machine unlike some of the modern detectors I have that takes a rocket scientist to adjust.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Stefan! Nice seeing you again! How have you been?
I put a Want To Buy request on another message board and someone just sold me their near mint Tejon for less than half the cost of a new one.

I had a Tejon years ago and wish I never sold it but, that's life, right? :dontknow:

Found some nice, deep coins with the old one I had. I hope this one will punch just as deep or deeper. Isnt detecting fun? If it weren't I'd probably be into basket weaving. LOL!

Anyone use a favorite coil for depth on their Tejon?

Hey tony!!!

Yeah I've been crazy busy with work.
Congrats on the minty tejon!! One of the few I don't own lol.
I wish you many fruitful hunts!!
Not much time left in the season this year but hope to get out more before the snow falls. Haven't barely hunted this year :-(

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi HighVDI, (I like your name!). Thanks for the tip. It's been a while since I swung a Tejon. It is a really simple machine unlike some of the modern detectors I have that takes a rocket scientist to adjust.

Haha! The beep and dig just seems to work where those flashy high end machines don't at times from what I've experienced. I like the idea of learning how to listen to a signal from start to finish and it's discriptive nature vs screen watching. I think it makes us better detectorists in the long run. Hope you dig the goods and report back!

John.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey tony!!!

Yeah I've been crazy busy with work.
Congrats on the minty tejon!! One of the few I don't own lol.
I wish you many fruitful hunts!!
Not much time left in the season this year but hope to get out more before the snow falls. Haven't barely hunted this year :-(

Stefan, that's just not right. I'd be going stir crazy if I wasn't out enjoying the great outdoors listening to beeps. I don't know what I'm going to do when Winter come.
At a school I've detected there's this small area I've pulled nice stuff out of. What's interesting is that all my other detectors failed to find a nice half that they others missed.
Yea, it was deep but it could be I just didn't get my coils from the other detectors over it. What I should have done was to go over that target with my other detectors but I
didn't have them with me at the time. The Tejon got it.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha! The beep and dig just seems to work where those flashy high end machines don't at times from what I've experienced. I like the idea of learning how to listen to a signal from start to finish and it's discriptive nature vs screen watching. I think it makes us better detectorists in the long run. Hope you dig the goods and report back!

John.

Yea, there's something to be said for the human brain being the greatest for interpreting sounds that no TDI machine can accomplish.
I look forward to good reports from you too, John!

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that there is more useful information in those immediate subtle Tesoro tones than any digital unit could ever hope to match. The problem is that you need to slow down and use your head. If you get lazy you won't get good results IMO.

If you slow down and interpret the language, cool things will begin to pop out of the ground. I really don't even dig all that much trash, I'm sure I need to dig more of those aluminum signals but I like the good, deep round sounds.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that there is more useful information in those immediate subtle Tesoro tones than any digital unit could ever hope to match. The problem is that you need to slow down and use your head. If you get lazy you won't get good results IMO.

If you slow down and interpret the language, cool things will begin to pop out of the ground. I really don't even dig all that much trash, I'm sure I need to dig more of those aluminum signals but I like the good, deep round sounds.
Those sounds that sing. funny because once you train your ear for it....it is unmistakable.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Warning: This picture is for mature audiences only

Tehon.jpg

The above picture is what shape she's in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No I'm pretty sure that's the current one out. Supposedly they're a little hotter from what I've read. Looks clean.

Groovy baby! LOL
I have quite a few Tesoro's. I know how to GB the Tejon and others for greater depth (super tuning) but am curios if super tuning the Tejon makes it more susceptible to making it hard to detect when there are square cut iron nails in the ground?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread