Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a Bandito II umax since they were first released but it hasn't really seen a lot of action here where I live in S.California although I do like taking it back to the UK to find old stuff there.
I also have a Fisher CZ20 and an Excalibur for beach and water hunting.
Now that I'm retired and moving up to the Pacific Northwest next year I want to get another land machine and the two models I'm considering are the Tesoro Tejon and the Vaquero.
I like the Vaquero because it only uses the 9V battery instead of 8 AA's and i like the Tejon because of the depth capability and variable tone output . Don't know how much I would use the dual discrimination!

Any other members are been in the same predicament ??

Cheers
Colin

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love the dual discrimination. Set one low, the other higher and dig as you please, or don't dig. I loved my Vaquero and now that I have an XP Deus am thinking about getting another Vaquero. It kicks relics right out of the dirt.

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a Bandito II umax since they were first released but it hasn't really seen a lot of action here where I live in S.California although I do like taking it back to the UK to find old stuff there.
I also have a Fisher CZ20 and an Excalibur for beach and water hunting.
Now that I'm retired and moving up to the Pacific Northwest next year I want to get another land machine and the two models I'm considering are the Tesoro Tejon and the Vaquero.
I like the Vaquero because it only uses the 9V battery instead of 8 AA's and i like the Tejon because of the depth capability and variable tone output . Don't know how much I would use the dual discrimination!

Any other members are been in the same predicament ??

Cheers
Colin

Have not used a tejon but the vaq is deep and has excellent info in it's stable tone. I absolutely love mine.
Would probably like the dual disc and the non vco all metal.option of the tejon.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had enough of eight batteries with Garretts or four with Fishers.

I think I enjoy the hunt so much more with my 9v models.

It's not about performance, but enjoying the hunt. I dig everything anyway.....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is EASY! Vaquero, with 11" x 8" widescan coil. The Tejon is a GREAT machine, but with its higher operating freq ( 17.2kHz - 17.6kHz) is doesn't see coin sized targets as deep as the Vaquero does. :skullflag:

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used the Tejon but with regard to the Vaquero I can tell you if you back off the ground balance about 1/4 turn to the negative, max out the threshold, and run sensitivity up to just below where it starts to false I don't think you will get anything to go much deeper unless they have a large coil. I put a Cors Strike 12" x 13" coil on my Vaquero and I can go behind a Minelab with a stock coil and consistanty pick up coins. I call this set up my coin Magnet

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought the bandito ii umax was a great machine why would you want anything else?
B2 umax is on my list one day, just finding one.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the bandito ii umax was a great machine why would you want anything else?
B2 umax is on my list one day, just finding one.

4pins are much deeper with H.O.T. circuitry.

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I agree, that's why I have just got a cibola this week.
Cannot wait to try it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread