5.75 concentric or wide scan for Vaquero in trashy areas?

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have very good luck with The standard coil on my Vaquero and also use a Cors Strike 12" x 13" DD coil in open areas. The larger coil does a great job of covering more area faster.

I was in a really trashy site yesterday and even with the standard coil and my sensitivity and threshold turned down I kept getting too much interference from junk.

I have been looking at 5.75 inch wide scan or concentric coils and was wondering if anyone that uses these coils could tell me what would be best in trashy areas.

Thanks for the help!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I had the small concentric for my Vaq, great in trash and iron and very sensitive with great recovery and separation but many prefer DD's in more mineralized soils.
Since I hunt so many trashy parks with a million pop tops I never thought twice about my choice...avoiding that kind of trash with concentrics are easy, using DD's on non screen units for me over that particular type of trash is problematic and frustrating.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the 5.75 concentric coil and it works very well in trashy spots. The stock 8x9 is not to bad either.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, the 5.75" Concentric is superior in heavy trash using minimal discrimination however, I find the 8" Round Concentric (8RC-LB-D) has become my favorite coil in these situations with the Vaquero.

Since replacing my Compadre, with the Mojave, I now use the Mojave with the stock 7" Concentric exclusively in high trash areas. :skullflag:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ended the year with the Vaquero with the 11x8 RSD will putting the 5.75 Concentric first thing this spring.

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Small concentric every time for trash, go slow,

dd just seem to jump around too much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread