The Vaquero... The good the bad the ugly

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero is just plain fun to use..... most of the time. With it's single tone if I get into a really trashy site and things are pretty noisy it can be harder to pick out a good target with the Vaquero then with a multi tone machine with the same size coil. Because of that I think that it's even more important to have the right size coil on the Vaquero than it is on a muti tone detector.

With the rite sized coil she still speaks clearly but if your doing trashy sites do yourself a favor and pick up a small concentric coil it will make a world of difference.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee, on the Metal Detecting Maine forum. You are the one's like that, mr. Ireland on there, that give so much praise for the at-pro. How it is sooooo much better than any of the old tech "dinosaur" Tesoro's, You gave your Vaquero to your grandson or nephew, I forgot which it was, in favor of the at-pro. Seems odd you would even take the time to be in a Tesoro forum anymore, let alone posting praise for them. Guess that you are finding out, what I tried stating on that forum for years, that the Vaquero is a fine detector. I made a comment over a year ago that the 5.75 concentric coil on a Vaquero is great on that forum. That's out of the little Minelab/at-pro click that most of the few active members on that forum are in though... lol. Posting praise for "Tesoro's ancient technology as it was referred to me on there" is always welcome here. Just hope they don't find out you did. haha. Glad i'm not a member of that crowd's little forum any longer. To bad the few decent members are over shadowed by the numerous crybabies who cannot comprehend anyone's dislike for the almighty at-pro...

OP
OP
F

Farma

Nov 26, 2012
Farmington, Maine
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tigershark & Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what your referring to but the Vaquero is a great machine. I do think the small coil is needed in trashy areas because of the single tone. The AT Pro is also a great machine but side by side shooting coins the Vaquero does a better job and is easier to use after you get to know it.

Just went hunting with a nephew three weeks ago. He used the AT Pro one day and the Vaquero the second day. He liked the AT Pro better, I think because it was easy for him to hear the high tones and know to dig. I think a lot of newbies think the same way.

Where in Maine are you? What are you currently using?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Small concentric coil is a great choice in trash regardless of whether you have multi-tones or not.
luvsdux

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro's 8" Round Concentric (Delta), is often overlooked by Vaquero owners, looking for better discrimination and separation in heavy trash. I actually like it better than the 5.75" concentric on pulltabs. As far as being "better" than the Garrett AT Pro, https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/at-pro-standard I won't go that far but, the Vaquero is less expensive https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/vaquero-11x8 and will find everything the ATP will. :skullflag:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 9 X 8 concentric for areas with not much trash. Compared to the 11 x 8 widescan it goes deeper and discriminates well. When the ground mineralization is ng then the wide scan does better however it still does not discriminate well. Snap tops will show up even at higher levels of discrimination. In the trash the 5 3/4 concentric works super! Like Farma said. Plain fun to use and works even better with the correct coil for the job.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what your referring to but the Vaquero is a great machine. I do think the small coil is needed in trashy areas because of the single tone. The AT Pro is also a great machine but side by side shooting coins the Vaquero does a better job and is easier to use after you get to know it.

Just went hunting with a nephew three weeks ago. He used the AT Pro one day and the Vaquero the second day. He liked the AT Pro better, I think because it was easy for him to hear the high tones and know to dig. I think a lot of newbies think the same way.

Where in Maine are you? What are you currently using?

I'm in Maine, I use a Vaquero, and was even up at the hunt you put on a few years ago at your place. One time on that forum, someone joined and asked about which brand of detector to buy. I suggested Tesoro and was absolutely chastised on there for doing so. Must admit, you were civil but did comment, I don't remember the exact wording, that the at-pro is a more capable detector than the Vaquero. That mr. Ireland was the worse. Guess that he can't realize when he's embarrassing himself, let alone anyone else on there. Guess Krom don't see that it's the jerks like him is probably the reason not many are active on that forum. Anyhow, good luck to you.

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Maine, I use a Vaquero, and was even up at the hunt you put on a few years ago at your place. One time on that forum, someone joined and asked about which brand of detector to buy. I suggested Tesoro and was absolutely chastised on there for doing so. Must admit, you were civil but did comment, I don't remember the exact wording, that the at-pro is a more capable detector than the Vaquero. That mr. Ireland was the worse. Guess that he can't realize when he's embarrassing himself, let alone anyone else on there. Guess Krom don't see that it's the jerks like him is probably the reason not many are active on that forum. Anyhow, good luck to you.

For me, I have more confidence with my Tesoros than Fisher, never used an AT Pro. With the Vaquero I know to a higher degree of confidence what I am digging out than with the vdi detectors I have used, and the Vaquero and other Tesoros are the only detectors that seem so capable to me.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my iffy targets with the Vaquero, it was in a Civil War iron patch with lots of ration cans within a foot, was an Eagle breastplate. If you mentally tune out some iffy targets, you'll get whopped real good on machine you use. Note to self: dig anything over 42 on the vdi. One of the last 14k gold rings rang up at a blistering 45.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread