General detecting, coin shooting, relic hunting...which Tesoro?

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that many of you have to have a preference when it comes to what you love to hunt for the most. For some it's coins, for some relics, and for others it's general....what ever is under the coil. What type of hunter are you? And what is your tool or Tesoro of choice for your favorite treasure?
Could be a simple or a more complex answer......so what is it?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A digger of good repeating signals, here. I prefer coins or jewelry, but still enjoy pulling relics when they are under the coil.
If it's tot lots , the Compadre can't be beat........it gets in around the metal posts of the equipment and gives good signals for small objects. Same goes for curb strips with utility access ports, street signs and hydrants.
Many of the yards I hunt have ash pits from back in the day and hot rocks abound. The Compadre seems to be able to give signals that enable me to discern what's really hot and what's not. My Vaquero chirps way too much for that type of hunting.
But, when it comes to cleaner permissions, with old deep targets, the Vaquero can't be beat..............

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vaquero

tabman

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have owned the Tejon/Vaquero/Cibola/DeLeon. My thing is coinhunting, my goal is to find deep silver and wheats/Indians as most areas I hunt are parks, etc. The Vaquero has been a solid performer and will always have a spot in my arsenal. For the money, it cannot be beat. I have sold all my other Tesoro machines other than the Vaquero and I highly recommend it. I also recommend the 5.75 concentric coil as it loves to snipe deep coins from in between iron/junk targets. Happy hunting!

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have been wondering is, how much different is a 5.75 vaquero than a 5.75 compadre? Depth and discrimination? I am just wondering should I add an 8" doughnut or 5.75 concentric coil to my vaq, but I already have a 5.75 compadre and a 5.75 widescan for the vaq for occasional prospecting.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
What I have been wondering is, how much different is a 5.75 vaquero than a 5.75 compadre? Depth and discrimination? I am just wondering should I add an 8" doughnut or 5.75 concentric coil to my vaq, but I already have a 5.75 compadre and a 5.75 widescan for the vaq for occasional prospecting.

In depth, the Vaq wins by a mile.
In sensitivity, the Vaq with the small coil is close but the 180 ED and throwback circuitry of the Compadre still wins.
For getting closest to big metal...Compadre.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am a relic hunter and old coin shooter, but when I want jewelry in play areas the Tesoro Outlaw in my machine of choice!

The Tejon for Relic hunting!

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on your soil. Vaquero has GB, Compadre doesn’t. Plus you can negative GB 1/4 turn the Vaquero for even more depth. Something to consider - do you want to only run tot lots or do you want to be able to do it all?

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on your soil. Vaquero has GB, Compadre doesn’t. Plus you can negative GB 1/4 turn the Vaquero for even more depth. Something to consider - do you want to only run tot lots or do you want to be able to do it all?
I use the standard 9x8 coil on my vaq alot around old sites in the city, and occasionally old parks. I understand that the vaq benefits from gb capability. I'm just thinking that the 8" round coil might disc better than the 9x8. Then I start thinking that the 5.75 might disc better than the 8". Then I started wondering whether a vaq 5.75 truly beats a compadre 5.75 in depth by enough to be much benefit, being as I already have a 5.75 compadre.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Mojave - This machine has replaced my Compadre. Incredible discrimination and separation in trashy areas, decent depth for a 7" concentric (stock), and a Killer with the 8" concentric. A great competition machine, super in parks, dry sand, heavy woods, and super portable and light.

Tesoro Vaquero - With the 11" x 8" DD coil, this machine can give you awesome depth as a relic, park, or sports and farm field hunter. It can easily compete with machines costing $700-$800.

Tesoro Outlaw - With the Three-coil package, this machine is the "All-Around" Champion of the line if you are a coin and jewelry hunter. It just can't be beat.

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq - This machine was designed to find gold nuggets from a few grains, to a few ounces, while running in All Metal Mode. That is what the machine excels in. Used as a coin or gold jewelry hunter while in the Discriminate Mode, it loses noticeable depth.

Tesoro Sand Shark - A pulse Induction machine built for saltwater scuba divers. At $600.00 it is the most underrated saltwater machine on the market today. It does not discriminate, it is deeper than multi-frequency VLF machines costing three-times as much, and finds the deep gold rings and crucifixes.

Got to have the right clubs in the bag for a good score!:headbang:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I use the standard 9x8 coil on my vaq alot around old sites in the city, and occasionally old parks. I understand that the vaq benefits from gb capability. I'm just thinking that the 8" round coil might disc better than the 9x8. Then I start thinking that the 5.75 might disc better than the 8". Then I started wondering whether a vaq 5.75 truly beats a compadre 5.75 in depth by enough to be much benefit, being as I already have a 5.75 compadre.

Out west in great soil my Vaq with the small concentric beat out my 7" coil Compadre by a huge margin...I am talking about 5-6".
Here in the SE. mineralized dirt and red clay the Compadre gets to about 4-5" comfortably, the Vaq a little more but not much.
Or at least IDing deeper signals than that is difficult.
Surprisingly the Mojave is beating them both here in depth and accurate ID's by several inches.

OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far it seems that the Vaquero is the favored machine for most general hunting preferences. Others are represented by you fellas. But, the Vaquero appears to be a definite favorite. Not surprising at all. Any one else.....your preferred type of hunting, coin, relic, general and favorite Tesoro for the task?

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Untill now the Lobo Super Traq is still my favorite Tesoro detector. Good on gold and not bad on coin shooting to. I even bought today another used Lobo Super Traq with 3 different coils included. Last week i bought an almost new Vaquero but untill now didn't had the time to use it. If it stay dry on thursday, i hope to go out with the vaquero that day.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do enjoy the vaquero for the depth. But I enjoy my outlaw and bandido II micromax for dense iron.
I didn't get much chance to run my Mojave but so far many are saying it does very well in iron.
I can't say which for all around, but in my case that's why I have many. All shine in certain areas and conditions. But where one has faults, another shines.
So I'm not saying buy a bunch like I did, but it does work for me. Different detectors for different conditions. However it can be expensive.
But as a minimal setup if I had to do over knowing what I know I'd go with vaquero and add a 5.75 concentric, outlaw 3 pack, and a mojave for both it's ease of use and performance. Another plus of the Mojave is if you have a friend interested in the hobby, it's easy to use and learn.
Don't know if any of that helped. Lol

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
would you trust a civil war relic hunter from Chattanooga that has been doing this 40 years ? Buy the Vaquero and order two coils. The new wide scan 11 x 8 and a standard concentric. You will be happy

OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Roaddust....thats exactly what I did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread